Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

FAE, yay or nay?

Zeke83

So among other things im considering this year is an FAE. Are these worth it? Do they work? I was thinking they sound like a good idea, mostly from a safety stand point for the kiddos. But the more I think about it, the more I wonder just how necessary they are. Usually when im stopped the engine is not running, and when it is idling, what advantage does FAE give you over normal exhaust if you arent in gear, and even then at a slow idle, the exhaust is still going to bubble up and not get pushed into the prop stream way out behind the boat. Sounds like an expensive noise reduction system, with not a whole lot of real value in keeping anyone safe around a running idling engine as far as CO goes. Then there is the spray and the flap contraptions to keep it down when surfing... suffice to say im on the fence. Anyone have personal experience they can share?

I did the STE due to being 1/2 the price with no sacrifices compared to flappers. In the end, it isn't as quiet as an FAE nor does it keep the fumes down as well.

It may not help fumes at idle, but will help fumes at surfing speeds, in and behind the boat. There is also a lot more exhaust coming out when a boat is under load.

I don't think the point of the device is less CO at idle, it's less CO in a surfer's face while he or she is behind the boat. Reduced noise is a beneficial side effect, but again, not really the point.

Mine should be here in 4 weeks, I'll let you know. If you are on the fence I would call now, the girl on the phone gave me $60 off said they were doing a special

So CO at surf speed... Id be interested to see the actual PPM results of how much CO is present behind a boat in an open environment, but I can't seem to find any. Wish I could borrow a 4 gas meter from work and surf with it behind my boat, but I don't think that would fly... kinda spendy little units. I'll do a search and look at old threads. The noise reduction would be nice, but don't know if I wana deal with the spray issue. Thanks for the input. Let me know how yours turns out racer, if I haven't already bought one by then.

I would love to do a test and work is fairly lenient on us about using equipment. One guy uses our portable analyzers to tune mx bikes.

I would like to run a hand full of pressure gauges on the exhuast, a db meter, and CO/O2 meter and compare the pre/post numbers.

But the FAE is low on the totum poll for purchases right now.

for the money, i am going to give it a try, i don't think CO is a problem on boats with cats but FAE is worth it if the exhaust noise is significantly reduced.

One of the questions on the buy now page is whether the factory turn down exhaust has flaps, can anyone answer that question for me (my boat is not accessible)?

thanks

for the money, i am going to give it a try, i don't think CO is a problem on boats with cats but FAE is worth it if the exhaust noise is significantly reduced.

One of the questions on the buy now page is whether the factory turn down exhaust has flaps, can anyone answer that question for me (my boat is not accessible)?

thanks

. You will need your boat before ordering, there are a series of measurements you have to provide them.

Ive been reading a lot about it... I think it just moved up on the I NEED it list. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :thumbup:$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Anyone know what the average delivery time is after you order?

FAE is making its way to the top of my to do list. I'm still on the fence but there is snow in the forecast and ice on the lakes :( so I have plenty of time to make up my mind

Ive been reading a lot about it... I think it just moved up on the I NEED it list. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :thumbup:$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Anyone know what the average delivery time is after you order?

4-6 weeks from order date. They will send you instructions on what to measure, once you get that returned you are added to the que & charged a deposit.

Can anyone clarify the noise reduction. All my reading everyone makes it sound like it is super quiet, makes your tower speakers louder when riding. Now all I hear is "noise reduction". I wanted it super quiet.

So CO at surf speed... Id be interested to see the actual PPM results of how much CO is present behind a boat in an open environment, but I can't seem to find any. Wish I could borrow a 4 gas meter.

My gas meter says way to many PPM without FAE

ppm_zps12feb153.jpg

Here is a great video about Co2 while surfing. According to the video, the FAE does nothing for the actual surfer, but it does help with Co2 for people sitting in the rear of the boat. Personally, I like a 50-100ppm hit before I get in the water, it seems to numb my body making me pain free for a short 10 minute wakeboard run. J/K :) We have surfed for hours before and never had any symptoms of Co2 poising with anyone in the boat. I am not sure if the turn down tip exhausts help divert some Co2? Teak surfing is definitely something you never want to do, it can kill you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i0BjrGah2U#t=72

My gas meter says way to many PPM without FAE

ppm_zps12feb153.jpg

and here is with FAE, you can see where the bubbles finally surface in that trail well behind the surfer. You actually hear very little boat engine noise.... mostly just waves crashing. FAE is highly recommended if you surf.

9A17CE8B-51B7-49DE-A5D6-2FA178B6A64D-347