Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hole in my manifold?

Need some help please. I de-winterized my boat today and ran into a problem. After putting the plugs back in I connected the fake-a-lake and fired it up. Water came out of a hole in the manifold. It looks like there are some caps that are welded on, 4 on each side. I've attached pictures that show the paint not affected, a white corrosive area and the hole that the water was coming out of.

Questions:

What are these "caps" there for?

What are my options? JB Weld? New manifolds?

2004 XTI 21

340 Monsoon

Thanks for any ideas that you guys have.

post-22110-0-21156000-1397272638_thumb.j

Those are 'sacrificial anodes' designed to absorb the damage of natural corrosives in order to save your manifolds. It's not unusual to have to replace them every few years. There should be six to ten of them spaced around each manifold. Last ones cost me five bucks each and a case of beer to a mate who can weld. The idea is that its much cheaper to replace those than a whole manifold.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=sacrificial+anode&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Edited by ToeCutter
  • Like 1

That's a common problem with those manifolds. Search this forum or Google it. The PS 197's I ski with have had some success with JB Weld but it's only a temporary repair. They need to re-do them every year.

I keep waiting for mine to spring a leak but so far, touch wood, I have no problems. I've wondered if it isn't because I have a Perko switch and always use it.

Find a local welder who is good with aluminium. Had 3 leaking on one side, took both off and had him check all the plugs, cost about $100. Good luck, manifolds go on and off easy.

Talked to Indmar tech this morning. They stock the replacement zink discs. He also said putting the boat on the lift, block full, battery still connected is not good. Hurray for Perko switches!