Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat sinks from Malibu wake

wakebrdr94

Don’t see any “No Wake Zone” markers out there… they don’t have those there? In Oregon on the Willamette and pretty much everywhere else every launch has them, some of them going pretty much across the river. You are liable for your wake in those zones. Even if they didn’t I would come off step out of common courtesy. Besides that they already banned all “wake enhancement devices” on the Willamette. There’s always going to be that Jackie Boy that pushes off from the dock and plows outa there. I agree with others, very hard to believe that a couple rollers would sink a boat like that. That I/O looks better underwater anyway.

Chalk me up in the category that doesn't buy it for a minute...there was something else wrong with that boat, likely already taking on water somehow..... But will concede it's certainly a bad coincidence and timing for the Wakesetter to have been throwing rollers into it.

Early in the season there are a higher number of mishaps from hoses coming loose, winterization plugs not properly reinstalled etc etc...

Interesting to read how the go fast crowd looks at the wake boats. Couple choice comments:

There needs to be a law passed with these tower boats and the size of the wake they put off, for us little guys out there it can turn a nice cruise into a battle with the river trying to keep the nose above water, bruises all over the girls, and some busy a** bilge pumps. Personally I think tower boats are gayer than seadoos, just as clueless and much more destructive.

cordless drill and a few modifications to the bottom will help his ballast, what an asshat!

Edited by robtr8
ahopkins22LSV

Very interesting, and horrible for the boat owner for sure. But I am also going to throw my foot into the I think there there was something more going on here. Maybe he wasn't tied up right, not allowing the boat to flow and rock with the waves coming in. Maybe he had another leak. Could speculate all day long, but I just don't see a wakesurf wave being the sole purpose of the boat going under. Boat WANT to float. But we could speculate all day long and probably never come up with the real answers.

Wouldn't this come down to "reasonable to assume" and "proper care"? Is it reasonable to assume that a wake boat may be operating in this area of the river? Did the go fast guy take proper care secure his boat? I would even suggest that running a low free board, go like hell boat like that anywhere near a wakeboat isn't proper care. These guy's are all upset because they can't run 80MPH. WTF?

Interesting to read how the go fast crowd looks at the wake boats. Couple choice comments:

There needs to be a law passed with these tower boats and the size of the wake they put off, for us little guys out there it can turn a nice cruise into a battle with the river trying to keep the nose above water, bruises all over the girls, and some busy a** bilge pumps. Personally I think tower boats are gayer than seadoos, just as clueless and much more destructive.

cordless drill and a few modifications to the bottom will help his ballast, what an asshat!

All boats can be annoying, these guys need to stop talking about mods. How many mods do they have on their go fast boats?

Even wake boats are annoying, I was one of those guys that would run over the ski course markers just because some skiers thought they were superior and owned the lake. I showed them. ;)

We are definitely not gayer than seadoos! We are two gay levels above the guy who has a website dedicated to his go fast boat. Although it's not gay to have a website dedicated to your new malibu, I checked the rules, it's number 4a-8.

Thanks for including information about ACTUAL damage. While you didn't mention me by name, you were posting this for me. The point I was making in the earlier thread is that people were assuming that because I oppose banning wake boats, I am then magically one of the law breakers that ride too close to land / other boaters (and being a music blaster was also alluded to).

If this malibu owner sank that boat, he was obviously too close to shore, ie breaking an existing law, hence a new law doesnt need to be made, the existing law need to be enforced.

I have a couple problems with that story. From my take here are the indisputable facts:

1. There was a red malibu owner APPARENTLY driving too close to shore and throwing big wakes
  2. This guys boat sank

From the quote you included at least TO ME, there is absolutely no proof the red malibu caused ANY issues. No one SAW a roller from the boat over take this guy's boat. What I see happening is a witch hunt. Somebody's boat sank, and there was talk in the area of a big wake maker. Since no one saw what happened they are assuming the big bad red wake boat sank his.

In other words, they ALREADY have preconceived notions that wake boats are evil and are the cause of this. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm looking for indisputable FIRST HAND experience of damage that wakes cause. Right now nobody here, or on the lake where this occurred, really know the events that actually happened.

I am really glad you pointed this out, sounds like it's definitely a high possibility that a wake caused some damage, but it ticks me off to no end that no one even knows the big bad wake thrower was the issue, yet everyone in the community has their torches and pitchforks already. If I missed something and it's definitely confirmed the boat did the damage, please point that out to me. Sincere thanks for including this story.

Edit: I see your posts on the external forum, thanks for fighting the good fight. I think you and I align on mentality more than you think. The reason i took personal issue in the last thread is I was made out to be the idiot boat driver when in reality I'm advocating for the people who just think wake boats are inherently evil to get educated and I'm a completely respectful driver. In my entire life I have had ONE person wave me off for making waves and I was > 200' away from their property. They were out on their dock waving their arms like crazy for me to leave. They had a boat house that was so run down, it was sinking into the water. That's why I get mad at people who want to pass a ban on wake boats because they're too damn cheap to fix their own property.

Edited by wakeboarder3780

This post was posted FOR ALL. We can call BS all day long, but if people are claiming and complaining about what appears to be the same boat, there is a good chance it is. I'm not your enemy, I own a Wakesetter, I'm on your side. I like using my boat and I like this stretch of water, how bad would it suck to own a place here and have my boat banned? But as you said, there is a preconceived notion already about us and our boats, and things like this make it real. As Boz put it, "perception vs reality". Whether there is lack of video or lack of proof, if you get enough people saying it was a Red Malibu, in the authorities eyes, it was a "wakeboat" that was dangerous. IMO, it would not be out of the realm of possibility someone was doing a "look at me pass" (is what we call them) and a wake to cause damage. I think my boat has plenty of freeboard while docked, but i keep an eye on my boat as it gets rocked pretty good there as well.

Parker can be a rough waterway. Big weekends or really crowded, can be a mess. I think that goes for any body of water. It's not very wide, so when conditions and crowds show, it can suck. This is one of the places I like down there, I think this video is a good indicator or how wide this place it. Also when the river looks this calm during the week or off weekends, you can see why I love it. But notice the dock, there are a ton of guys with nice boats who do "look at me" passes 10' from the dock. Both wake boats with stereo going or fast boats buzzing the dock at 40-50+mph. It's these idiots that ruin it for all. On both sides of the argument. as mentioned in the first post, we (all boat owners) need to be aware.

Edited by wakebrdr94

I don't think so? parker is pretty shallow and not too long I thought? Lots of go-fast boats tho.

I could be wrong. I was making the judgement by assuming from the height of the bridge in the background (oil pipe line?) and the proximity of the ocean to that area, that it would be an inland water way that where larger boats might go.

Either way I agree that the wake you make, you are responsible for. That being said, if my boat had a low free board I wouldn't expose it to that kind of situation. There are a lot of situations in life that even though you aren't responsible for an incident, you still end of on the loosing end.

It's also funny that every other boaters has some sort of disdain for the other boat types.

We all hate jet skiers. (I like jets king though!)

Sailors hate all powered boats.

Fisherman hate all boats, especially ones that make wakes.

We hate fisherman because they park in the clean water along the shore.

Speedboats hate boats that make wakes.

Everyone hates speedboats because they buzz by at 60 mph.

On and on.

Edited by Indyxc

I could be wrong. I was making the judgement by assuming from the height of the bridge in the background (oil pipe line?) and the proximity of the ocean to that area, that it would be an inland water way that where larger boats might go.

The Parker Strip is typically full of a ton of flat bottom, go fast boats. Many days the wake sport boats are the minority.

And 60 mph is the slowest they go. I've seen speed skiing records set there.... over 100 mph.

Either way I agree that the wake you make, you are responsible for. That being said, if my boat had a low free board I wouldn't expose it to that kind of situation. There are a lot of situations in life that even though you aren't responsible for an incident, you still end of on the loosing end.

It's also funny that every other boaters has some sort of disdain for the other boat types.

We all hate jet skiers. (I like jets king though!)

Sailors hate all powered boats.

Fisherman hate all boats, especially ones that make wakes.

We hate fisherman because they park in the clean water along the shore.

Speedboats hate boats that make wakes.

On and on.

Reminds me of a classic thread: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42846-hierarchy-of-hate/ Sounds like these guys have their own hierarchy, and we're at the top!

Hopefully things like this don't get much true publicity other than hating on a message board. As has been said by many on here and many on the other board, there are idiots in every boating group. Surely if these boys are running around at 100 MPH then there have been a fair share of deaths within their hobby; if that doesn't outlaw 'go-fasts' then a sunk boat or two shouldn't outlaw ours. (not that I think a sunk boat is any laughing matter!!)

Policing our own really is important, I actually run around with a buddy who goes full ballast while warming the engine at the dock and doesn't empty till the last ride home. He loves the slammed "look." Far be it from me to get in the way of looking cool, but I do regularly point out fishermen or boats sitting on the beach to make sure he idles down and doesn't make an a** out of us.

In all reality, the surfing explosion, which I'm a part of, can be annoying. I've been rocking the same stretch for the last 4 years and last year a couple new bu's showed up and pretty much wrecked my hidden gem! I guess I'm lucky since I can just move up river to more secluded spots, but since most of us seem to be lake dwellers, that isn't an option for most. We just have to pick our spots wisely, be considerate, and take opportunities to remind colleagues to take it easy when they get out of line.

It's only going to get worse, and without the states or the manufacturers providing education, we're on our own, so stay classy malibucrew!!

• Like 2

Call it a pipe dream but I still believe we need to educate people, until we have a boat license in affect things like this will continue to happen (If this actually did) . At least with a license people would have some understanding of proper boating etiquette and rules of the waterway. No guarantee they would all follow then, but a good step in the right direction.

I still laugh when someone tries to be courteous and slow down to go by you and creates a much larger wake than if they sped by at faster speed. Maybe this is what happened with this boat? Driver was slowing down and threw some rollers without meaning to.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3

Someone mentioned boat licenses... in Oregon you do have to get a boat license. I forget how many hour course it is, and it cost money, but you will be ticketed if you are caught driving a boat without one. The course itself is ok, better than nothing. Im a certified airboat and jet boat operator for the company I work for, so there wasnt much I learned, but for the general boating public, I think most benefit from having to take the course. I cant count how many times, and Im sure we all have, im cussing under my breath, or above it, trying to pull out of the zoo that boat launches can be with people that are totally oblivious to the danger and damage they are causing.

Wasn't there someone on here with a big ol' red 247 in the AZ area?

That's me, but my boat is still tucked away from the winter due to me building it's new home. So it sure wasn't mine...

That's me, but my boat is still tucked away from the winter due to me building it's new home. So it sure wasn't mine...

Doesn't matter, it's a red malibu! Your fault!!!!! Way to ruin it for the others. ^^^^^^^^sounds like an excuse to me?

Edited by Rmack
  • Like 2