Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat sinks from Malibu wake

wakebrdr94

Wow!

That's crazy! You're right, though. The more incidents like this that occur, the worse it gets for those of us (not I as I'm not a wake boat guy at this point) who really respect others and do the right thing.

So I say this to you guys with the attitude "you need to expect wakes" or think your actions have no consequences, this is the type of stuff that will get us or ballast devices banned.

Yep...this kind of stuff and 47,000 Watt sound systems blasting out the latest profanity ridden tunes by P Diddy....

It's a matter of time....

Edited by RTS
  • Like 2

Hard to believe that boat would get taken down by a malibu wake. If that's truly the case, that guys shouldn't be tieing that boat up in any open water. On a body of water that big, there will be 40-50 foot cruisers, and when those are coming on plain, now those waves are waves.

• Like 3

Hard to believe that boat would get taken down by a malibu wake. If that's truly the case, that guys shouldn't be tieing that boat up in any open water. On a body of water that big, there will be 40-50 foot cruisers, and when those are coming on plain, now those waves are waves.

I don't think so? parker is pretty shallow and not too long I thought? Lots of go-fast boats tho.

The waterway is not that big. It's about an 8 mile stretch between two damns. It is a section of river between lake Havasu and Big river / Blythe. There are not 40-50 ft cruisers there, up in Havasu maybe, but i have yet to see those boats on this stretch. The area is not very wide. The link below is where it took place via google maps. There may be more to the story, but if they have reported, and are claiming it was a Red Malibu (or any boat) that is enough to draw attention. Especially if people at other locations reported the same irresponsible behavior from the same boat. You really cannot hide on this portion of the river. You'd have to pull your boat out and leave. It's not a very big stretch.

The argument " that guys shouldn't be tieing that boat up in any open water" Does not hold up in court as the operator of the vessel is responsible for their wake.

​Don't shoot the messenger

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pirates+Den+RV+Resort+and+Marina/@34.2244286,-114.1960987,637m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x80d18711ff95ed95:0x3baf048a48e7e224

Edited by wakebrdr94
  • Like 2

Go fast guys can complain about our "dangerous wakes", we could complain about their dangerous speeds. Not taking up for the wakeboat owner if he/she did in fact have their boat causing a large surf type wake close to a moored boat...you still need to exercise common sense and courtesy.

My old sportster would get hit with surf waves all the time. Some would send a few hundred pounds of water into the boat. At no time when that was happening did I ever think it was the surf boats fault. I always assumed that me putting my little boat on the water with big boats was my decision and my risk. I know those wakes are out there and it's my job to dodge and it be ready for them. Also have a buoyant enough boat to not sink like that. A few of the times my boat got swamped I had to keep moving so the water would flow out the back. It never sank like this guys though. Does the rule apply when some idiot drives a little boat up next to a cruise liner? Seems all backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 complaints in 3 different locations on a narrow stretch like the Strip & you guys are disputing it??

Thats funny.

Those flat bottom boats are inches off the water. I've had problems taking on water with my MC 205. So it doesn't surprise me that a big wake could be a big problem.

Boz, you got it right. Obviously it was more than 1 person with this perception so there must be some truth to it. And on such a small body of water, it won't be long before they outlaw big wakes.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I'm on the site arguing that a big wake is a big wake. Whether it comes from a wakeboat or a 30' Daytona, or a deck boat. The problem is people not being aware of how they are driving and the type Of wake being put up. I can argue that many of the go fast boats are not safe as they sit only a couple inches above the water, but it depends on who is listening that is going to agree. We have a '76 charger and I get both sides if the coin, but I believe you should be able to know your driving skills and be confident driving your vessel in the conditions presented.

One of the guys over there said he was swamped by a ferry boat up near bullhead and his boat went down. He said he tried to sue, but in open water another boat has the same right to "throttle around" as any other boat in open water. The law changes around docks and moored boats as there are specific laws for keeping distance away from docks. An expensive lesson as he put it. Here is the link if you guys want to read however many pages it was

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?112674-Beautiful-Cole-sinks-at-Pirate

All I'm saying is we all, every boat owner, needs to be aware.

Exert from the last post.

An all RED Malibu "Wakesetter" (wake in the name of the boat but they aren't designed to throw a bigger wake than others) or a Malibu BFW (Big Fning Wake maker) was rolling past pirates and sunk the Cole. Someone should have witnessed it.....I mean someone posted a pic here in this thread of the boat sunk and others have said they saw this boat rolling huge wakes all weekend. The parker strip isn't that big and I would bet the boat will be out again this weekend or next. Can't we as a boating community keep our eyes peeled if he his rolling big wakes up and down the river this weekend to get a pic of the boat and AZ Reg #'s and ask Irish if that's the boat? If so I would think the witnesses on this site would say that's the one. Wouldn't that be enough to site the person. Maybe it would go to court maybe not, I don't think anyone would pay the Legal fees. I would guess the operator would tell LE yeah I was out the past weekend went by pirates but didn't know I sunk a boat, sorry bro, and give the guy his insurance #. Maybe I'm being optimistic about people in general. I am not sure how the law works if it states your responsible for your wake and you sink anothers boat. How is the sunk boat suppose to chase down the guy that caused it. I would say they would go off of a witness or two and ticket the guy, IMO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by wakebrdr94

You know...looking at the pic of the boat sunk next to the dock makes me wonder...how does a closed bow boat that sits higher in the bow than half of us open bow wakeboats, AND pointing towards open water which is facing oncoming wakes takes on that much water to sink? I could see if his low sitting transom was pointed towards the oncoming wakes. Maybe the large wakes caused his transom to dip below water since his heavy motor is.

I call BS. If his bilge was working, it should be able to take a roller..., or two or three. I'd be willing to bet that there were issues with the boat. I'm not disputing that some idiot wasn't buzzing the docks with a massive surf wake but you still have to be aware of your boat and your surroundings in a boat that may possibly be sunk with a roller or two.

• Like 2

The only possible way that boat could get sunk by anything short of a Tsunami is if the boat got caught up on the dock and flipped sideways. There's no way that could have happened with the type of bumpers that are there.

If a roller would come over the side, none of the stern water would enter the boat, only the gunwale portion. There's just no way!

Read the thread, the guy claims the wakeboat was throwing "5ft rollers". I want to surf any wakeboat that puts out 5' rollers. So his "5' roller" probably means it really was a 2' to 2.5' series of rollers

• Like 2

AJ, the boat is actually facing up river. Boats get rocked side to side docked in the fashion it was. I could see rollers coming over the side.

Makes sense...forgot it was a river so it looked like open water like a bigger lake. Side to side rollers can get very sketchy

Edited by AJWest