Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

24 MXZ bow ballast

DarkSide

I thought I would ask the experts before tearing stuff open. I am assuming Malibu uses the same 4 tanks for all of thier models. With this in mind I would think I should have room to replace factory 350lb hard tank, with a much bigger bag. Has anyone done this, and/or are my assumptions about space correct?

I added 750's to the trunks, and the 350 is not enough to get the bow down, I would like to stretch the wave a little, how much weight would be a good starting point for the bow?

I should also clarify this is for surfing, I am very happy with wake board wake. Boat does have surf gate.

To the lake, go we must.

We used 150 lbs of lead weight in the anchor storage in the upper bow and augmented the 350 with a 300 lbs cigar tube that horseshoes and a 150 lbs cube so there is still room to have people up front.

You are correct, there is a platform that goes over the tank then cushions sit on the platform. Tank actually supports platform. I think I could get a bag or two of lead in there next to the tank, but that is about it. So now I am thinking of putting small bags in the pickle pockets, I am going to have to play with it. Make sure there is no wiring or anything else off concern. It would be very easy to plumb these, using bow ballast pump. It would basically be a bow plug n play. The other benefit is it is all the way forward so I would get maximum benefit.

To the lake, go we must.

Edited by DarkSide

Darkside, what mfg. 750s did you go with and how are they fitting? I was told you need to pull the rear seat chests in order to fully fill the bag.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bombwake.com boom! Crisis averted, solution resolved. Mention my name Durty Curt. And he will give you a better deal. Did I mention he is also AZ local? May be able to save on shipping right there.

Darkside, what mfg. 750s did you go with and how are they fitting? I was told you need to pull the rear seat chests in order to fully fill the bag. I don't get them completely filled, so chests are ok. I also did not try to fill all the way because of lack of bow weight. I ordered the fly high from wake makers.

Dirty curt, I will likely pick up a couple bags and poor then next to the hard tank. Do you get then direct our go to Action to them up?

To the lake, go we must.

Ok here is my solution, rough install tonight, will laketest on Friday morning.

Fly high vdrive sacks, 400lb per sack, they are 16x16x42. No way the sacks will get completely full, I am hoping for 60% that would be 240lbs per bag giving 850 total pounds of bow weight. Also as the bags are at the furthest point forward it should help pull the bow down even better. The bags are placed inside the anchor locker and into the big "pickle" voids.

I created a bow plug n play by putting a Wye on the fill line, which was conveniently located in the anchor locker. This now feeds the fly high sacks. The fly high sacks drain into the bow tank. So gravity fed...post-24799-13977045544899_thumb.jpg

To the lake, go we must.

• Like 2

That is my signature...

To the lake, go we must.

You can set it up in your profile so that you don't have to type it everytime... although I usually don't read those as much, up to you, just saying.

Ok here is my solution, rough install tonight, will laketest on Friday morning.

Fly high vdrive sacks, 400lb per sack, they are 16x16x42. No way the sacks will get completely full, I am hoping for 60% that would be 240lbs per bag giving 850 total pounds of bow weight. Also as the bags are at the furthest point forward it should help pull the bow down even better. The bags are placed inside the anchor locker and into the big "pickle" voids.

I created a bow plug n play by putting a Wye on the fill line, which was conveniently located in the anchor locker. This now feeds the fly high sacks. The fly high sacks drain into the bow tank. So gravity fed...attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1397704554914.jpg

To the lake, go we must.

Great install, can you get us some more pictures? I would love to see what the hard tank looks like under your seats as well if you pull off the plastic cover. Mine is just 4 screws and it comes off revealing the hard tank. I find it strange that a boat with such a big bow as the 24 MXZ has the exact same 350lb hard tank as the small bow in my VLX. Either some of the numbers are really off or there is a lot of unused space under your bow seats.

Brett, here is more pictures Look at the picture of the outside of the bow, all of that is empty dead space. I also have pictures of the cavities attached but they don't show too much detail. I also attached 2 pictures of surf from today...Far from dialed in, but both my daughter and I were able to ride it, today was our 1st attempt at surfing. I am 6'3 and 295 so I need a significant wave. My daughter is 5' 10 for comparison. Here are the pictures. .... http://s942.photobucket.com/user/jbbrownaz/story/42547

To the lake, go we must.

Edited by DarkSide

Although I didn't Get to properly introduce myself, it was cool seeing y'all out there. We were on the Black n white MXZ aka Shambu, taking your spot at the back dock.