Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help identify this Indmar

Malibu in Oz

This engine is currently in a 2004 Response LXI that I am looking to purchase.

Seller says its a 310hp Vortec, but it looks to me like a 325hp EFI Monsoon though I am probably wrong.

It is located and I think built in Australia so may have slight changes for Australian standards.

Pictures 6 and 7 are of the engine.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/benalla/motorboats-powerboats/malibu-lxi-response/1040526457

Also, disregard the price. We pay a fortune for boats in Australia.

Thanks for any help.

The heads and manifolds looks just like mine from my old 2001 Wakesetter, however it is carborated. I thought the Monsoon was only fuel injected.

But more important 44K????????????????????????????????????

Really??????????????????

Edited by 40oz

Without question it is the 310 Vortec. That is a carb sitting on top the intake. The monsoon would have fuel rails, different intake, different flame arrestor, etc. The heads are the same between the 2. I have the same 310 vortec in our 99 SSLXI which we recently bought for our cabin.

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 2

Thanks to all for the quick replies. I think I was just hoping it was the monsoon.

If someone would mind giving an opinion of the Vortec that would be great.

This boat would be an upgrade from our current I/O boat with a carburetor Volvo Penta. The carby motor starts and runs great but planned on upgrading to a more modern EFI engine

The 310 carbed motor has arguably the best hole shot out of all the 5.7 SBC offerings. Internally, it is the same exact motor as the Monsoon. If you don't mind keeping it tuned up, then I say go for it!

I'd avoid the carb. Even when tuned and running perfectly, they are still more finicky than EFI. And at that vintage, buyers are expecting EFI, so it will hurt resale. 44k...wow.

Why do so many Ausie boat trailer have hub caps? You never see that here.

I'm really surprised to see a carb'd motor in a 2004 RLXI. Those are great ski boats though. Resale "down under" may be great regardless of motor due limited supply? Just a guess. As long as you don't mind the cold starts, i wouldn't worry about it, unless you're able to get a similar boat with EFI for the same or not much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Brodie

I'd avoid the carb. Even when tuned and running perfectly, they are still more finicky than EFI. And at that vintage, buyers are expecting EFI, so it will hurt resale. 44k...wow.

Why do so many Ausie boat trailer have hub caps? You never see that here.

Hubcaps?, probably to cover up crappy wheels!! Actually if you had a look at a launch ramp car park in the middle of summer 90% of trailers would have alloy wheels of some kind.

I wouldn't be quite so quick to dismiss a carby engine. My mate's boat, that we ski behind a lot is a Vortec engined Sportster and it runs very well with very little maintenance. The only time it really shows is at a cold start when a bit of throttle is needed. I agree with a previous comment about the hole shot as well, very good.