Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Black Bottom Boats

I know that black hulls have become pretty popular and we decided to jump on the bandwagon with our T22. How is everyone keeping the underside from becoming covered in water spots? We keep our boat on a lift in the summer and I have never once gotten in the water to dry off the underside like I do the rest of the boat after every use. Should I continue to go on as I have in the past and not worried too much about it or do I need to get under the boat and dry it more often? I know that applying some wax would be a great start but want to make sure this boat continues to look great for years to come.

It depends on how particular you really want to get here. Probably depends on your water type too I would guess. I for one would never dry the bottom of my boat. However, I do get underneath it once or twice a year and hit it with some boat bling hot sauce. Once I do that it looks like new again.

The back of my current boat is black. I dry it off above the waterline on the lift, but don't worry about under the water line.

At the end of the season I don't really worry about waterspots under the waterline either, and I am what most people consider an anal person lol.

My last boat was a black bottom hull and frankly, I'd never do it again. I worked to maintain it but if you let it sit out in the sun and don't wipe it down, water spots were a pain to get off. I know you are keeping your boat on a lift so this won't apply to you as much, but the boat developed hull scratches in the bow from rubbing the carpet of the bunks during launch and recovery off the trailer. I'm sure they are there on every color hull but they were sure noticable with the black hull. I know some will argue that the trailer has to be in deeper but if your ramp is shallow, that might not be practical. I love the look of black hulls, but for me personally, it wasn't worth the hassle. YMMV.

I agree with the above comments. Don't worry about it. Not many people will see it and black or any color hulls look great IMO. I've washed as much of the bottom as I could reach in the past while on the trailer but its almost not worth the effort.

Mine is kept on a trailer so it gets washed after every use. As for the scratches from the trailer bunks, I wet sanded them out with 2000 grit then a light polish compound then wax.

I would try and dry it off because they will show.

I used to think bunk scratches around the keel were just part of boat ownership and trailering. Not the case whatsoever.

If you have the right trailer and you trailer properly, you wont get any... and I mean none. I have a black hull, would not hesitate to get another. Not a single scratch on mine.

I wipe the front easy to get to areas when its wet, and thats about it. Not a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
My 04 had mostly black bottom, I would be more concerned with rock chips from your tow vehicle,

Rock tamers~ big ugly flaps. ..but work like a champ. ...actually invented by boat owners

To the lake, go we must.

I also have a black hull, if you use some speed gloss on it after every use it will stay looking great. I have found its much easier to prevent water spots than remove them. I don't think you will have a problem with some basic upkeep.

Black does show up every little scratch, and chances are if you load the boat enough times you will get some form of scratches on the bottom. They are usually light and can be buffed, but still require more attention than a white hull. I do like the look of a dark hull, especially if the sides are a light color, it adds some dimension to the front of the boat.

Those rock timers are no joke! I also extended my mud flaps on my Sequoia and it's been a great $15 investment... So far no chips in trailer or lower hull area. On my prior two boats I have a couple chips from towing, and my trailer had a few chips. Would highly recommend anyone who tows extend there mud flaps, well worth it.

It was not even an option not to get them for me. My truck is lifted with 35's. So it slings decent sized rocks. So $200 for flaps to protect a $100k+ boat...NO BRAINER!

To the lake, go we must.