Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Johnson CM30 Pump install

Fman

My Johnson pump just arrived and I am getting ready to install it. I had a couple of questions about the install I wanted to run by those pump install experts.

First, when running the pump "in-line" to the 3/4" rubber hose does it make a difference if I go off the return line back to the engine or feeder line to the core?

Second, I checked the Heater fuse and there is no way to tap off the heater fuse buss. My next option was just to come directly off the high heat "hot wire" coming off the heater motor assembly, or a hot wire that is activated when the blower turns on. Can I just tap directly into that wire with an inline fuse and run directly to the hot wire on the CM30? or do I need to run a relay switch? The pump only draws a very small amount of amps (around 2), the current fuse is 15 amps for the heater, I was going to bump it up to a 20 amp. I though with a larger 20 amp fuse along with an inline fuse for the CM30 this method would work, thoughts?

I was not going to wire the pump to be running unless the heater blower was turned on, I just cant see a reason to run it all the time. I am assuming water will circulate through it even if the pump is not running because it is a centrifugal pump?

Thanks for any input.

For those interested I purchased from Bakes. This pump will keep your heater warm even when the boat is idling or even when engine is shut off for a duration of time.

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=3260

Wow, Bakes came down to a very reasonable price. When I was looking last spring they were at $250 so I ended up buying from an automotive source on the web... Pd about $180 with shipping. Bakes with discount, you will be less.

I ran a separate electrical connection and separate bus bar with fuses for both heaters and the pump, each also separately switched with three way switch, not thru the malibu touch screen. I did this to have all three fan settings. I'm not a expert but I would definitely run the pump on a completely separate circuit and not increase the fuse size to your heaters, just from a safety perspective.

Good luck and have fun this summer!

Install is done, I ended up going with a relay switch and took the hot wire from the seat heater fuse next to drivers seat. I have it wired to only come on when blower is running on heater. I tapped into 5/8" line coming from the engine block into heater core.

Now the bad news, the pump is defective!!! When it turns on it sounds like a banshee gone wild, it is louder than the heater blower!!! Ugh, had to put everything back together and will have to replace the pump as soon as Bakes can get me a new one sent out. I should have tested it before, just my luck, I got the one out of hundred that was defective. Once I get it replaced I will post up some pics of the install.

Glad to hear you've done the install. Looking forward to the pictures. I've been talking with Paul at Bakes. He suggested I invite you over for a beer to help with my install but I'm guessing he doesn't realize I'm in NY.

Edited by jgates237

Update, I think we have diagnosed the issue. The pump is not primed. I need to run the boat longer and get the air out of the system. Paul was great and called the Johnson rep today and also did some bench testing. Without water in the pump it is making the same noise. Once water is introduced it quiets right down. So, hopefully this week I can burp the line and get it primed correctly. Paul said most likely it will take driving the boat on the lake.

Paul at Bakes Marine is always great with customer service.

Paul at Bakes Marine is always great with customer service.

Concur. Hope you don't mind if I continue to innodate you with install questions. I need to istall the heater and the pump so I got quite a few things to think about.

Thanks for all the help already to you and Paul...

No problem with the questions, that is what this forum is designed for. I have never installed a heater before but I can definitely help you on the Johnson install part. You can learn from all my mistakes!

Update, was out of the water yesterday with the new CM30 pump. The issue with noise was it was not primed, after a few seconds on the water pump was completely quiet. I installed it under drivers helm area on the inlet line coming from the engine. It really does work fantastic, supplies heat at idle and even when boat is shut off.

If you are looking for some more heat, this is a very nice product.

I'm looking to do the same - sounds like it went well. tow questions - where did you mount the pump and did you need extra hose or just splice it straight in line with the current inline hose?

Thanks!

Just ordered my Johnson pump. Unfortunately it may take some time to get to me via slow ground freight (Wash St to NY). By then you guys outta have yours all figured out and be in good shape to coach me.

I'm looking to do the same - sounds like it went well. tow questions - where did you mount the pump and did you need extra hose or just splice it straight in line with the current inline hose?

Thanks!

Was able to splice right into existing hose, just a couple hose clamps. I will try and get a picture, but everything is put back together.

Yes, please post some pictures up. Im gonna try and install mine this week. Just need to finish reupholstering some seats first.

I did mount the pump on the side of helm area just in front of a metal post. I does come with a mounting bracket. It is in a upward position. I will try and get my cell phone over the kick plate to see if I can grab a pic, but I am done removing the plate for awhile. I also mounted the relay switch directly above it.

Fman,

You mounted your pump up front? I was under the impression it should be mounted somewhere aft close to the motor in the bilge area. I say that only because I heard that you need to keep a head of water pressure to the pump so it doesn't cavitate. Also what relay did you use?

My pump arrives tomorrow thus the complete heater install commences soon. If you have pics of any of your heater system that would be great.

Don't drop your phone behind there!

Edited by jgates237

Yes, I mounted it under the helm in the front. You can do it in the bilge area as well. I have ran it the last few times out and it's working great. The only issue I can see with it up front is the initial prime takes a bit longer, but we're talking a few seconds. Once water is introduced into the system your done. I even ran it again out of the water the other day and the system is still primed with no issues. I chose the front for a little easier wiring, but either location will work fine.