Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tough steering

Hi,

First outing with the boat this year and I am wondering what happened...It seems as though the steering has changed. Its fine sitting idling around but when at wakeboard speeds and making a hard turn (more so with left turns) it seems a bit too hard....it takes two hands after about the first 1/2 turn.

After taking the boat out I can turn the rudder freely with my hands. Is it my imagination or has it just been too long since I've been out?

Hi,

First outing with the boat this year and I am wondering what happened...It seems as though the steering has changed. Its fine sitting idling around but when at wakeboard speeds and making a hard turn (more so with left turns) it seems a bit too hard....it takes two hands after about the first 1/2 turn.

After taking the boat out I can turn the rudder freely with my hands. Is it my imagination or has it just been too long since I've been out?

The first thing to try is grease the rudder housing. It can dry out and cause it to bind under load. If its not that then the steering cable is probablty shot.

Same thing happened to me. Steering cable needed to be replaced. I was surprised at how the steering went from fine to "two hands required" in such a short period of time...but it sure was/is nice with the new cable

Edited by rts

That's how mine was at the end if the season. I replaced the steering cable over the winter (and lubed the rudder). I'm going to be trying it out tomorrow.

It seems wierd that the cable would be going with only 110 hours on the boat... I was wondering if too much grease was pumped into the rudder when the delear serviced it??

Always turn your steering all the way to the right after taking it out of the water or storing the boat. this will ensure that the cable will be fully drawn into the cable housing and reduce if not eliminate any possiblity of it getting corroded.

Edited by mcdave

Our boat has 150 hours on it ... granted it's a 2001, so it's a few years older than yours. My steering had gotten to the point where we had to use both hands and all of our body weight to steer. It was amazing how fast it went; one week it was a little stiff but barely noticeable, three trips later it was almost un-useable.

I replaced the steering cable a week or so ago, and now I can steer it with one finger. I don't know if that's the problem you're having, but I think I would suspect that first, especially since it's a relatively easy job.

By the way I talked to the dealer and they suggest first checking if over greased by removing the zirk fitting. I'll try at lunch time...depending on the time it takes.

Edited by kona90

My old boat had a cracked rudder housing. Had to replace it last year.

I don't know how easy it is to see in a v drive, but I would check it out before removing the cable. Especially if you've ever hit anything underwater.

By the way I pulled the Zerk fittings out and one had water the other dry. I'll put some grease in it and try it out.

The one with water is cause for concern, especially with no grease in there...me thinks you're in for a new steering cable due to corrosion...

I dropped by.... the dealer on my way to the lake and they put some grease in (didn't ask what was put in). Dealer didn't say much :Doh: they had performed the annual maintenance last month and was suppose to grease it.

Now it feels like new! BIG difference.

Sarge,

I use the same marine waterproof trailer bearing grease in my rudder box. It doesn't need to be any fancy race car, high speed, temp. grease. I only grease it once a season. I also lube up the exposed cable.

Sarge,

I use the same marine waterproof trailer bearing grease in my rudder box. It doesn't need to be any fancy race car, high speed, temp. grease. I only grease it once a season. I also lube up the exposed cable.

That'll work. Thanks PP.

Now I need to load up all my cordless and pneumatic grease guns with marine grease. I don't think my truck, tractor and other trailers will mind. I just clean out all of the old grease first. Kevin...

Always turn your steering all the way to the right after taking it out of the water or storing the boat. this will ensure that the cable will be fully drawn into the cable housing and reduce if not eliminate any possiblity of it getting corroded.

I've always turned to the left. :blush: I guess I need to go the other way!

I had to replace mine last year. No Wake did it under warranty. I think that anything Malibu bolts into that boat is covered for three years, except for the engine.

It will make a world of difference. Don't hesitate to have it changed.