Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The most important part of your 'Bu is...

Kalamazoo

Hopefully someone keeps an eye out for the boat post repair. I have a sneaky suspicion they will either:

#1 - Not disclose the damage in any ad

#2 - Sell it to another dealer, who will not disclose the damage

Not to say they wouldn't tell the buyer before money hits the table, but I bet a bunch of people will look at it and find out after they see it in person that it is damaged. Let's all be honest - we may be willing to buy that boat fully repaired, but no way would any sane person pay the same amount as they would pre-damage. That boat has a history you can't erase now.

I do think the history will be erased...'minor gelcoat repair' may be the best the next buyer gets to hear.

Kalamazoo - Good luck with the new boat, and great job at staying calm in an extremely stressful situation. I would be mad as a hornet if I saw some busting trusses before it actually happened. Glad they took care of you pretty decently so you can move on.

Do you have paperwork for the boat still? Showing the hull ID? I'd post it for future buyers to beware. Not sure how you feel about it, but that's just me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by wakebrdr94

Your situation definitely sucks and I would never want to be in that position. However, this dealership has been THE BEST dealership I have ever dealt with. I owned three other wake boats before my current one and they are hands down the best. I understand that you are frustrated and want to vent but don't you think this may be hitting below the belt? Any reputable dealership will not come on here and get into a pissing match about this situation. Move on if you are not happy. If it's that bad call Malibu or the BBB. Handle it more professionally

• Like 2

I do think the history will be erased...'minor gelcoat repair' may be the best the next buyer gets to hear.

Kalamazoo - Good luck with the new boat, and great job at staying calm in an extremely stressful situation. I would be mad as a hornet if I saw some busting trusses before it actually happened. Glad they took care of you pretty decently so you can move on.

i think that is jumping to conclusions. Right now we do not know how the dealer will deal with that boat.

It could easily sell as the boat the roof fell on and was professionally repaired and here is the great deal.

edit: if i was to judge, it would be on the end result, not on initial reaction.

Edited by Cervelo

Would it be out of line to ask what boat they were offering to you for 64K? I think it is reasonable for them to offer you a boat at invoice, but probably unreasonable to sell you a boat for a loss. In that circumstance, I would probably be on the dealer's side that they shouldn't sell you a boat for a loss. They already bought your boat back from you, which is pretty great, they could have dragged it through insurance mud for months.

Edited by TallRedRider

'13 23 lsv demo, 350, SG, 100 hrs, few hull scratches, never titled. Needed them to sell around 66 to get to 64 out the door. At one point they offered 65, next day reneged on that price and stuck at 70.

'13 23 lsv demo, 350, SG, 100 hrs, few hull scratches, never titled. Needed them to sell around 66 to get to 64 out the door. At one point they offered 65, next day reneged on that price and stuck at 70.

65K - that was yesterdays price ;)

Only kind of joking, but when I'm selling something expensive the price is good for about 15 minutes. A decision that takes longer than that and you are not a buyer ;)

They have a business to run and a reputation/brand to maintain. That said they can only bend over so far. They probably felt they made you whole despite the mistakes that were made on their end.

I'm pretty surprised that a lot of you think this is a bad outcome on the dealer's part. I think they realized they messed up and made it right by giving the 100% refund as IXFE mentioned. I would have expected them to run everything through insurance and make this process much more miserable. The fact that they stepped up and gave back the full purchase price, plus bought back the extras and everything is pretty good in my opinion.

Yes, the events leading up to the collapse are shady and would make me think twice about going back to them, but I think the way they handled and made it right after is good.

Agree- they could have just given you the number for their insurance company and said "work it out with them" or even worse try a low budget repair to to get themselves off the hook for cheap.

That being said, doing something extra to signify the significant anguish they caused would only seem logical e.g. "We are so sorry about what happened - we are going to give a screaming deal on a replacement as a consolation for all the stress this must have caused and we look forward to a long relationship with you as another one of our satisfied customers"

In the end, it's tough to understand dealer's perspective- maybe they thought (in their mind) that you were marking too big of a deal about it. "It's only a boat- jeez" in their mind

Glad you were made whole financially! Be thankful to the dealer it didn't end up in a nightmare!

ahopkins22LSV

Not to add fuel to the fire, but 65K for that boat sounds like a hell of a deal and even 70. I think that was a very reasonable offer from them. They would have been losing money on it. Never titled means you wouldn't have had to pay the warranty transfer fees and could get new boat financing, if that is the route you were going to go.

But in the end, all that matters is you and your family are happy with the decision. Bring on the warmer temps!!

Not to add fuel to the fire, but 65K for that boat sounds like a hell of a deal and even 70.

Cheapest '13 23LSV on Onlyinboards right now is 74k.

Cheapest '13 23LSV on Boattrader right now is 73k.

Seems the dealer was giving a pretty fair deal at 65-70k.

If there's one thing hopefully we all can take away from this is the importance of knowing who you're dealing with, good or bad, before you get into a relationship. These boats are like marriages...make sure to try dating first.

Just so we're clear.....

Dealer screwed up

Dealer tried to make it right by making you 100% whole, without question

Dealer offered you a boat at conservatively, say, a $10k LOSS to continue to try make it right

You decide its STILL good enough, come to a public forum and slam them

??????

I know the guys at Gull Lake. They're GREAT guys. I can tell you i switched to Gull Lake from the other Kalamzoo dealer to Gull Lake when the other dealer DIDNT even try to make things right for me, just FYI.

Sometimes relationships just don't work, but I will (and have) happily refer Gull Lake to anyone l know looking for a Malibu.

Is that '13 still available. I'll take it for $65k. As a demo it was prob well optioned. I know that's a lot more than you paid for your other boat, but that's a lot less than the boat is worth.

Just curious, what would've been an acceptable outcome all things considered? Sell the boat for $64k out the door? Taking over $20k loss?

I understand that this was a very stressful and probably emotional event. I'm guessing the dealer at some point threw up there hands and figured they tried to make it right the best they could, but they felt you were trying to take advantage of the horrible situation.

Who was the unreasonable one......

Edited by bunji169
  • Like 2

Count me with those who think $65k for a '13 LSV (never titled) is a crazy low price. I'm not sure what happened to push that price to $70k (misunderstanding perhaps), but even that is a great price.

Is it possible that you just didn't want to pay that much for ANY boat?

This is starting to read like the Supra thread on Wakeworld.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Edited by IXFE

Is that '13 still available. I'll take it for $65k. As a demo it was prob well optioned. I know that's a lot more than you paid for your other boat, but that's a lot less than the boat is worth. Just curious, what would've been an acceptable outcome all things considered? Sell the boat for $64k out the door? Taking over $20k loss? I understand that this was a very stressful and probably emotional event. I'm guessing the dealer at some point threw up there hands and figured they tried to make it right the best they could, but they felt you were trying to take advantage of the horrible situation. Who was the unreasonable one...... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. They said 65, then the next day when I called to try to finalize they took it back and said they couldn't. it wasn't as much the number as it was the process. This wasn't the first time during this process that numbers changed along the way. Maybe it's just sloppy, maybe it's more. Either way, it doesn't make for a great customer experience. For what it's worth, I paid more with another dealer for a different boat, so it wasn't about the money as much the trust, comfort level, etc.

Again, I'm one customer in one situation with one dealer. Maybe it's the first/last time they'll ever create these circumstances (hopefully), or perhaps this happens every month. I don't know. Take my experience for what it's worth, which is one experience from one person. Combine that with however many other experiences are shared from others and make choices from there.

Sounds to me like you never really got over the collapsed roof. I still say you should be counting your lucky stars they gave you a refund. They certainly didn't have to.

Count me with those who think $65k for a '13 LSV (never titled) is a crazy low price. I'm not sure what happened to push that price to $70k (misunderstanding perhaps), but even that is a great price. Is it possible that you just didn't want to pay that much for ANY boat? This is starting to read like the Supra thread on Wakeworld. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

That is a good price, but I guess nothing can be done.

again, not 100% about price. It's more about that there was a price, then another price, then a price + a few extras (dealer prep, etc) along the way. I'm in sales, too. you can't keep moving numbers around and expect customers to be happy about it, regardless of what the number(s) is(are).

Sounds to me like you never really got over the collapsed roof. I still say you should be counting your lucky stars they gave you a refund. They certainly didn't have to.

I agree with the refund part, you may be right about the roof part. that certainly put a bad taste in my mouth.

I agree with the refund part, you may be right about the roof part. that certainly put a bad taste in my mouth.

Kal, that is understandable. Just a bad deal all around.

When do we get to see pics of your new sled?

I just happend upon this site as I was trying to find the date of the building collapse. I am the owner of the other customer owned boat mentioned in this post. I would have to say that my experience with this dealership has been quite the opposite. From the day I bought my boat in December until now it has been nothing short of a pleasure dealing with these folks. I was notified the day of the building collapse, and informed regardless of any damage they would be willing to refund my money. I wanted to keep my boat. They have been doing their best from what I can tell to get my boat back to its original condition. They have gone so far as to offer to renegotiate my deal when the boat is complete. I don't know anything about the 5 broken rafters, but if they deemed it unsafe I don't believe they would have left the boats there. I live 5 1/2 hours away(west central Indiana) and would not hesitate to do business with them again. If my boat is is not up to my standards when repaired, yes it will be a bummer, but I would have to question my own integrity if I expected anything but a full and complete refund. This was not a purpose driven incident and to profit from it would be wrong.