Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The most important part of your 'Bu is...

Kalamazoo

I followed your story from the beginning, not that this helps, but I totally feel for you. Making these gigantic purchases with all the excitement and planning is stressful and fun... but mostly stressful. To get hosed before you even get to rock your new boat must be devastating!! To then get anything less than the same empathy from your dealer, especially considering the circumstances, is crazy-town!

I completely agree with your assessment, though. I'm in a very new relationship with my dealer :blush: and am interested to how they approach the business. I hope I never have a major warranty issue, or do something stupid that needs major work, but if I do, I will expect over the top service. These are high-luxury items and I expect Malibu to enforce high-luxury treatment by the dealers and the dealers to treat you as though you are buying a luxury item. If I go grab an $80k Mercedes, I know damn well I'll get treated like a king and there is no difference here. I don't want a hot towel and a back rub while I wait for service, but I expect good communication and a break here or there for my loyalty.

Sorry it went down this way, but enjoy whatever boat you choose to get and have an awesome summer!!! :salute:

ahopkins22LSV

Wow. That's all I can say. Lots of new details and if all are true as you say (I believe you just saying there are always two sides of the story) then I don't blame you fit deciding to go another direction at all. I don't know how I would handle your specific situation with the new details but it would probably be similar to your solution.

The only thing I am going to say is if you really like Malibu as much as you say. There is a few other dealers in the state, one only a few hours away. No dealer is perfect but it might be worth a phone call to the other dealers to see what they have in stock. We can talk through pm if you want about it if you want. Not trying to sway you either way just throwing the option out there.

Edit: however I just noticed your new profile picture is of that hockey team that plays in Chicago soooooooooooo idk if I want to help anymore :tease2:

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
  • Like 2

Super sorry for all you have gone through, but as mentioned, you have conducted yourself in a great positive manner considering everything. As you said this site has a lot of knowledge, and other owners are welcome, hopefully you stick around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious did you file an "AG" complaint. When you have a complaint this requires a response and often times action on their part.

No, I didn't. I gave them the opportunity to make it right under their own will. This often shows "true colors" of a business, which sadly didn't look so good. I truly feel that learning what I did, which led me to separate myself from them, will prove to be the right decision. Just like one of my favorite movie scenes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAuSTQUa3tM

I agree that for some buyers, the dealer is extremely important.

For others (like me), I have no relationship with our local dealer, nor do I want/need one. I source all parts I need elsewhere (typically Bakes and Smooth Water) and turn my own wrenches. I have never needed the dealer for anything and their business practices have no impact on my boat ownership experience.

Obviously if you need someone to purchase a new boat from or do warranty work, then a good dealer is pretty vital. If buying a used boat with no warranty, then a good independent shop may be able to handle your needs if you don't do your own maintenance/repairs. You can buy a used boat anywhere, so that should be less of an issue than the repair shop.

I agree that for some buyers, the dealer is extremely important.

For others (like me), I have no relationship with our local dealer, nor do I want/need one. I source all parts I need elsewhere (typically Bakes and Smooth Water) and turn my own wrenches. I have never needed the dealer for anything and their business practices have no impact on my boat ownership experience.

Obviously if you need someone to purchase a new boat from or do warranty work, then a good dealer is pretty vital. If buying a used boat with no warranty, then a good independent shop may be able to handle your needs if you don't do your own maintenance/repairs. You can buy a used boat anywhere, so that should be less of an issue than the repair shop.

Well put.

In my case, the dealer became important after they broke it, then IMO fell short of making it right. I was trying to get into a 13 or 14 with warranty left, which would have kept them involved as well.

In the end I think I'll be better off.

Totally agree. For me, the most important part aspect of purchasing a new wake boat is the dealer. Brand comes in second. It makes sooooo much difference in the total experience, especially when something goes wrong with the boat. MB makes a great product. Some of the best gel work in the business and without all the cheap stickers and plastic. Enjoy!!

I know this may not be the most helpful post, but doing business with people who cannot accept responsibility for their actions is a problem for me. So is honesty, integrity and trust.

^^^ This was my number one reason for leaving Malibu also, and my TOP consideration when selecting my last 2 boats. Very dissapointing.

I would consider another Malibu when Spinger is replaced or he institues a simple company wide ethics pledge that hangs in plain view everywhere the malibu sign hangs...... from CEO's office down to dealerships.

Kal - I'm sorry to hear the sad ending to this sad sad tale. And like others have said, your calm tone and demeanor are commendable.

If I could point out one positive thing your dealer did... they gave you a 100% refund! IMO, you are fortunate they did that. They could have easily forced you to go through an protracted insurance nightmare resulting in either 1) sketchy repair of your boat, or 2) an insurance payout which may or may not have been equal to what you paid. Instead they made it easy for you to walk away, regroup, and make a new decision in time for the summer season. That is a blessing.

As far as moving on to a new MB, nobody will fault you for that decision. I've owned two MB's and enjoyed them both. Their boats just keep getting better, especially the new Tomcat F22, which is a downright sexy machine.

329291_p_t_640x480_image02.jpg

• Like 3

Kal - I'm sorry to hear the sad ending to this sad sad tale. And like others have said, your calm tone and demeanor are commendable.

If I could point out one positive thing your dealer did... they gave you a 100% refund! IMO, you are fortunate they did that. They could have easily forced you to go through an protracted insurance nightmare resulting in either 1) sketchy repair of your boat, or 2) an insurance payout which may or may not have been equal to what you paid. Instead they made it easy for you to walk away, regroup, and make a new decision in time for the summer season. That is a blessing.

As far as moving on to a new MB, nobody will fault you for that decision. I've owned two MB's and enjoyed them both. Their boats just keep getting better, especially the new Tomcat F22, which is a downright sexy machine.

I'm pretty surprised that a lot of you think this is a bad outcome on the dealer's part. I think they realized they messed up and made it right by giving the 100% refund as IXFE mentioned. I would have expected them to run everything through insurance and make this process much more miserable. The fact that they stepped up and gave back the full purchase price, plus bought back the extras and everything is pretty good in my opinion.

Yes, the events leading up to the collapse are shady and would make me think twice about going back to them, but I think the way they handled and made it right after is good.

• Like 3

I'm pretty surprised that a lot of you think this is a bad outcome on the dealer's part. I think they realized they messed up and made it right by giving the 100% refund as IXFE mentioned. I would have expected them to run everything through insurance and make this process much more miserable. The fact that they stepped up and gave back the full purchase price, plus bought back the extras and everything is pretty good in my opinion.

Yes, the events leading up to the collapse are shady and would make me think twice about going back to them, but I think the way they handled and made it right after is good.

i agree, it could have been much worse. I also feel it could have been a lot better.

329291_p_t_640x480_image02.jpg

That is a Malibu in your picture!

post-20057-0-66183000-1397240700_thumb.j

Ugh. I'm very sorry. Obviously, a 100% refund was due. I'm surprised the dealer, and factory didn't step up and give you the deal of the century on something else to keep you as a customer. That portion of the story sucked. The next part that sucks is they didn't allow you to move your own boat?
After you clearly warned them?

What the heck was that about?

Again, I hope whatever boat you get into gives you thousands of hours of summer fun !

Steve B.

Hopefully someone keeps an eye out for the boat post repair. I have a sneaky suspicion they will either:

#1 - Not disclose the damage in any ad

#2 - Sell it to another dealer, who will not disclose the damage

Not to say they wouldn't tell the buyer before money hits the table, but I bet a bunch of people will look at it and find out after they see it in person that it is damaged. Let's all be honest - we may be willing to buy that boat fully repaired, but no way would any sane person pay the same amount as they would pre-damage. That boat has a history you can't erase now.

Edited by Nitrousbird
  • Like 2