Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What's Tolerable in a Wetsuit?

ajive

I wear a 3/2 below 60 water temp Down to about 50. Below that, it would really depend on conditions. Perfectly flat water tends to make my threshold a little lower. Above 60, I'm in shorts and vest. Gotta be bout 58+ air temp with no wind to even consider going on the water. No heater YET.

Well, I wussed out and stayed dry today. The air was around 72 and water about 49 as reported by the boat. I stood on the swim deck and my feet were numb pretty quick. I really didn't plan on splashing till May anyway, so I'll take today as a bonus and be happy to get out. I guess I can always claim that I'm still breaking in the engine...

Ive probably live in Alaska too long... my lake is still frozen. We will be on it as soon as it goes out at a fever pitch every single day soakin up those precious 3 months of 24 hr sunlight. I dont even own a wet or dry suit. By July water is probably around 60... last summer was pretty warm, lots of 90's, get a decent amount of 80 deg days. You cant beat shreddin at 2 am on glass and its still light out.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

Apparently today was tolerable for us cray Michiganders. My tolerance level goes up and down depending on how bad I want to ski! (Which is always a huge itch to go! :rockon: )

image-66.jpg

I was too lazy to put my drysuit on. Just wore my heater top. Was a huge shock jumping in but with the sun out and pretty warm temps, compared to our winter, it actually felt good once I was up out of the water.

• Like 2

Last year I was in my shorty on March 17.... Ya I was back into a dry the next week. :whistle: Its going to be hard to beat last years opener.

We had ice till the first of April last year. How did you open up before us? I know I was in mine but I was in Texas.

Apparently today was tolerable for us cray Michiganders. My tolerance level goes up and down depending on how bad I want to ski! (Which is always a huge itch to go! :rockon: )

image-66.jpg

I was too lazy to put my drysuit on. Just wore my heater top. Was a huge shock jumping in but with the sun out and pretty warm temps, compared to our winter, it actually felt good once I was up out of the water.

Yeah... saw this over on the other thread. You're making me look bad!! I should've done it. Here's hoping for warm temps again next weekend.

Last year I was in my shorty on March 17.... Ya I was back into a dry the next week. :whistle: Its going to be hard to beat last years opener.

We had ice till April 3 her last year, how you melt 3 weeks before us.

We had ice till the first of April last year. How did you open up before us? I know I was in mine but I was in Texas.

Man made lake feed by shallow swamps we get a lot of warm water. Warm being something over freezing. Our lake 3,000 acer maybe 20 foot depth average changes water every five days, A lot of flow. and two larger rivers.

Man made lake feed by shallow swamps we get a lot of warm water. Warm being something over freezing. Our lake 3,000 acer maybe 20 foot depth average changes water every five days, A lot of flow. and two larger rivers.

I can now see open water from my home! Along with a huge debris field. I may be getting docks and lifts in next week. But its also only 32 deg.

Skiing last year March 17 in a shorty. This year we will likely still have vehicles driving up and down the lake. But I could be wrong you never can out think mother nature!

I did go pay off a new pontoon and lift yesterday and hope to get it in the water April 1.

Interesting, Middle Straits is 177 acres with a ave. depth of 12 feet with water running over the dam at both ends all winter.

Getting a little old there :Tease3:.

Edited by onamission
  • 4 months later...

Bringing up an old thread....looking to pick up a 3/2 wetsuit and a heater top when the sales start just to have on hand for an earlier start next spring. Which 3/2 wetsuit and heater tops do you recommend?

I saw this for a decent price for a possiblitity for a 3/2:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=33116906&cp=4406646.4413993.19248926.4417884.20837076.21187736

I have never seen a heater top, so I don't even know where to begin looking for one or what to look for.

For a heater I have a 1.5mm Oneill Hyperfreak Glide. Very comfortable, the outer material cuts the wind and the inner skin is really soft and dries quickly. I wear it every time I ride from 65-78* water to hold my vest is place because I crash in a lot of weird positions on my hydrofoil. I wear it under my oneill assault drysuit too for warmth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not what you would call a cold water wienie.

>70 Heater top

>66 3/2 Shorty

>62 4/3 Semi Dry

>45 drysuit

I used to wear my old 3/2 long into the mid 50's but I would be cold after a run. I bought a 4/3 Body Glove Vapor and will wear it all winter. The water around me never gets colder than 46. My home lake in the winter only gets down to 55.

Edited by Big Jay D
ahopkins22LSV

>70 Heater top

>66 3/2 Shorty

>62 4/3 Semi Dry

>45 drysuit

I used to wear my old 3/2 long into the mid 50's but I would be cold after a run. I bought a 4/3 Body Glove Vaporand will wear it all winter. The water around me never gets colder than 46. My home lake in the winter only gets down to 55.

Pretty much the same because if I had warm water requirements in Michigan my season would be wayyyy to short. Cold water honestly doesn't bother me much. Not in it that long.

• Like 2

>70 Heater top

>66 3/2 Shorty

>62 4/3 Semi Dry

>45 drysuit

I used to wear my old 3/2 long into the mid 50's but I would be cold after a run. I bought a 4/3 Body Glove Vapor and will wear it all winter. The water around me never gets colder than 46. My home lake in the winter only gets down to 55.

I thought I heard you were moving..... to someplace the water was solid in the winter.