Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wrenches - Adjustable Slip Nut or Shaft Packing

I'm planning on replacing my shaft packing with the virtually dripless gore-tex packing.

In order to do this, I believe you need 2 wrenches. (correct me if I'm wrong).

Currently I have an adjustable slip nut wrench like below (left). I can get another for ~$12 at home depot. Has anyone used these? Will these work?

Or, do I need to buy the dedicated wrench (right) for ~$40 each (incl shipping)?

SlipNut_zps2497c302.jpgShaftPkWrnchPlainLG_zps0764466d.jpg

I've heard people use the adjustable wrenches without issue.

If you buy the dedicated wrenches, make sure they fit the packing nut on your boat. The nut on my boat was too big for those two blue wrenches I bought, which I was raher unhappy about. I ended up just using two channel lock tongue groove with ease. Granted, I hear DD are easier to access.

https://www.channellock.com/original-tongue-groove.aspx

Edited by DIE2SURF

I've used the adjustable wrenches too. Their not terribly easy to use but do work for the task. But it was worth the $20 or so I spent on them rather than $60+ for the real wrenches to do it one time.

Like others have stated, I have used the two adjustables from Lowes with great ease, and yes it is very easy on a DD. Although these are tools I use rarely, I get a sense of pride in having the right tool for the job. My wife thinks I have too many tools and piles of stuff, but when she says "Honey I need you to hang this new picture frame," you know, the one without hanging wire, I love surpising her with the fact that not only do I have the necessary wire, I also have the right stud finder or wall anchors or level or whatever.

Thanks guys. I was having a hard time justifying paying that coin for wrenches that I may only ever use once.

Baddog...my wife just shakes her head whenever I pick up my stud finder and it immediately starts beeping. That joke never gets old for me.

Thanks guys. I was having a hard time justifying paying that coin for wrenches that I may only ever use once.

Baddog...my wife just shakes her head whenever I pick up my stud finder and it immediately starts beeping. That joke never gets old for me.

Just make sure your batteries never run out. Then she will laugh.

Once you try the real wrenches you will never ever again want to fuss with those terrible adjustable ones. Can you drive nails with a 12" crescent wrench? Sure you can. Is it even remotely as good as real hammer? Nope. Same deal with the wrenches. They make a tool just for adjusting the shaft packing, and guess what? That tool is the right one for the job.

IMHO, etc.

I bought 2 1 7/8 wrenches at a local low budget agricultural store. Paid about $15 total. Boxed on one end and open on the other. Cut both in half and they work like a charm. A lot cheaper than the Malibu wrenches.

• Like 1

There's a lot to be said for having the "right tool". Some of these packing nuts are tighter than tight and that 3/8" hole in the end of the factory wrench is a great place to add extra leverage. Having said that, the 1/2" drive crowfoot from Amazon might also be a nice addition to your toolbox. Good luck.