Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Service Required Message

I have a 2011 Malibu 23 LSV that is randomly displaying the "Service Required" message on the Maliview display. The message doesn't occur every time I go out, but when it starts, it usually appears every 5-6 minutes. Vital signs are normal and boat is operating as expected. Dealer investigated the issue last summer with no definitive answer, I'm asking them to review again because its become an annoyance and more frequent.

Does anyone know under what circumstances this message is generated?

Has anyone experienced this issue before? If so, what did you or the dealer do to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help on this topic.

There are a tons of issues that can cause this. What fault code did it throw in the diagnostics menu? Your dealer should have at least told you that and tracked it down from there. You can go into your diagostics now and see what it says, unless your dealer cleared the faults they will still be there. be warned... ignoring those messages for a period of time can ruin a weekend for you... sometimes they start as warnings and then transition into a limp mode.

A lot of those codes have been a result of voltage issues.... low volts, high volts, irradic volts etc etc.

When the message first appeared, it did generate a fault code, but the dealership was still unable to determine root cause. I will find out the fault code that was generated and post as soon as I have a chance. Hopefully, someone will have seen this before.

The fault code may not appear on the screen when it first pops.... its way back in the Maliview Menu in the diagnostics page/tab.... do you know how to get to it?

There's gotta be fault codes being logged in if you are getting a Service Required warning.

Perhaps Peter or one of the other dealers can chime in.

I have found out that the fault codes are NOT always stored in the Maliview right away when you get a warning notice displayed.

I know how to retieve them and have had intermittent warning messages with no fault code logged. I think the logic is a little skewed here. My dealer is saying that this is normal from what they have seen and sometimes the fault may have to occur 3 times for it to be stored in the Malivue. On the other hand, they say that their scan tool can pick up issues that have only occurred once and even I you see no logged fault in Malivue they can tell what caused the warning.

Could be a number of things.. Are your batteries charged? Lots of low voltage codes… Have dealer plug your boat in with Diacomm and scan for codes. They should be able to find a remedy, if not post here and we can help and your dealer can call Indmar, too. We've recently had 2 Malibu's with your symptoms. Bad throttles. While on the phone with Indmar and plugged into Diacomm, throttle gives 2 readings, one of them was low/bad...

Edited by skurfer

I know how to get to the fault codes, but latest incident, which occurred 5+ times last Thursday did not generate any codes from what the dealer said. Batteries are fully charged, they have been on trickle charge all winter. Dealer is trying to replicate issue with diagnostic equipment attached. I'll try to get an update today.

Spoke to dealer today, I'm planning to take boat out with diagnostic equipment attached Saturday afternoon. I'll check volts and provide an update Saturday evening. Thanks again for all your help.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2011 Malibu 23 LSV that is randomly displaying the "Service Required" message on the Maliview display. The message doesn't occur every time I go out, but when it starts, it usually appears every 5-6 minutes. Vital signs are normal and boat is operating as expected. Dealer investigated the issue last summer with no definitive answer, I'm asking them to review again because its become an annoyance and more frequent.

Does anyone know under what circumstances this message is generated?

Has anyone experienced this issue before? If so, what did you or the dealer do to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help on this topic.

I have the exact same problem on my 2011 Wakesetter VLX. The more I read the more it says that that message will only come up with respect to an Emission problem... I do have some inactive engine faults that relate to the throttle posistion sensor... not sure what the solution is. Was doing it all summer, but the boat runs fine.

Let me know if you find anything!

Ryan

• 1 month later...

Apologize for delayed response....but it took a few weeks for the message to occur again. Now it occurs almost every time I use the boat. I took pictures of the gauges and active/inactive alarms as evidence for the dealer. The dealer called Indmar, they stated it was probably related to the oxygen sensors, as it states in the owners manual. Upon inspection of the oxygen sensors in the exhaust manifold, they found that the catalyst material inside the manifold had come apart. Replacement parts are on order. Hopefully, this resolves the issue.

• 4 years later...
On 5/9/2014 at 9:23 PM, wakeparadise said:

I have the exact same problem on my 2011 Wakesetter VLX. The more I read the more it says that that message will only come up with respect to an Emission problem... I do have some inactive engine faults that relate to the throttle posistion sensor... not sure what the solution is. Was doing it all summer, but the boat runs fine.

Let me know if you find anything!

Ryan

Ever find out what the issue was.  I'm having similar issues with my 2011 VLX.  Thanks.

• 2 years later...

I have a 2013 24MXZ and I have had the exact same problem for the past 18 months every 5 minutes Service Required Warning. Complete engine service done, the cat converters have been replaced along with the exhaust sensors and the problem still exists. The dealer has no answers just keeps replacing stuff at my expense. Totally unacceptable, Malbu what do you have to say? Joe Shearer.

4 hours ago, Joes said:

I have a 2013 24MXZ and I have had the exact same problem for the past 18 months every 5 minutes Service Required Warning. Complete engine service done, the cat converters have been replaced along with the exhaust sensors and the problem still exists. The dealer has no answers just keeps replacing stuff at my expense. Totally unacceptable, Malbu what do you have to say? Joe Shearer.

Joe -  Welcome to the Crew!

This site is not owned, updated, or maintained in any way by Malibu.  We can try to help you, so please post details of the warnings and codes you see.  Your issue may not be related to the others in this thread.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Joes said:

Can give a better explanation of the exact same problem you have had for 18 months?  Any SPN FMI trouble codes from the Service Required alarm would be very helpful.

My 2013 22MXZ is showing very randomly "Service required" with code : SPN:65675 FM1:11 and it clears itself out and won't come back for like 10 or more outings, and again will clear itself out fairly quickly. Brought the boat to local shop to scan the code but mechanic cannot for sure tell me what the exact issue is, he thinks its a faulty coil. 

4 minutes ago, justgary said:

That makes me wonder if just running it hard (WOT) for a few minutes might clear out some carbon buildup.

Actually, that is part of the diagonstic process for this SPN.  5 minutes at 2000 RPM under load - compare Ho2S 1 and 2; if 2 is as active as 1 after that, the catalytic converter is pooched and needs to be replaced.

Hi Eagleboy99, so replace the catalytic converter? I see "Root cause unknown message" but never saw the "Catalytic Converter A Efficiency", where did you find that info?

Thank you. 

56 minutes ago, pawter1970 said:

Hi Eagleboy99, so replace the catalytic converter? I see "Root cause unknown message" but never saw the "Catalytic Converter A Efficiency", where did you find that info?

Thank you. 

You only see some of the info.  The service manual has the rest, plus diagnostics, etc.  As for where?  Search.  :)  Ah, the Google can be a cruel mistress. :)  Page 9-151 of https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0106/9702/files/Indmar_Engine_Service_Manual.pdf

58 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

You only see some of the info.  The service manual has the rest, plus diagnostics, etc.  As for where?  Search.  :)  Ah, the Google can be a cruel mistress. :)  Page 9-151 of https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0106/9702/files/Indmar_Engine_Service_Manual.pdf

Ha, yes I thought Google had all th answers, thank you for the information. 

• 1 year later...

Curious if anyone else has had this issue? I have a 2011 23LSV with 350 Monsoon. Sometimes we go out and nothing. Sometimes we go out and the service required comes on every 3-4 min. No faults logged, active or inactive. 

I would start by checking the main ground cable connections on the engine, batteries, and helm ground buss. Then check the main power connections on the batteries, switch, helm breaker, power post, starter, and helm power modules.

Next I would recommend a reset to factory defaults on the Viper screen.

Last thing would be to check the condition of all the connector pins on the Viper plugs individually. That can be pretty tricky.