Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf pockets on the Bimini

nyryan2001

has anyone on here done this they can share what materials they used?

I am thinking of using wetsuit style neoprene sewn into the bimini as the base the surfboard would rest on....

http://www.ahh.biz/fabric/rubberized/neoprene_wetsuit_material_3mm.php

And then using a sretchy elastic netting sewn on top of the neoprene to create the surf pocket:

http://www.organizedobie.com/products/3286/24-Black-Diamond-Net

I wish we had a vendor who already did this like Bakes or Evolution.... one we could just trace the size of the surfboard and desired location of the pocket on the bimini with chalk, and then remove and mail it to them in a small box for the pocket to be sewn in.

Edited by nyryan2001

The canvas shop wanted measurements, which we provided in order in ensure a good fit. They also wanted to know material preference. We chose the same material they make rafting boats and dry bags from in order to get a non skid but yet friendly scratch resistant material. While we were at it we also got a the rear edge reinforced with same material in order to keep it from rubbing on the surfrope.

Bill yes, that exactly what I am trying to do, I wish we had a vendor we could trust to do a good job.

I would think just using straight canvas material would be like sandpaper on the nose of the board every time you push it in and pulled it out, especially on the nose...with the board upside down, fins up.

Our canvas guy does them with the same material the bimini is made out of, then adds vinyl to line the inside to keep it from wearing out. You want to make sure it can take a UV beating.

Bill yes, that exactly what I am trying to do, I wish we had a vendor we could trust to do a good job.

I would think just using straight canvas material would be like sandpaper on the nose of the board every time you push it in and pulled it out, especially on the nose...with the board upside down, fins up.

I would think Sunbrella would be fine on the board's surface. But if you think it's too abrasive, then try Cjay's idea with the vinyl on the inside of the pocket.

I gotta think that this is the kind of job that a local upholstery shop should be doing. They will need to see the top on the boat to do the measurements. Then your going to have to remove the fabric from the frame for them to sew it in place. Then reassemble the fabric & frame.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Great Lakes canvas is just down the road from me, I might give them a call since they are a supplier for some of malibu's bimini's, heck they made mine and run this idea by them.

CJAy ^^^ Love the surf pockets.... would not want ANY part of that head bumping setup going on there in that Tige.

wish your shop would allow folks to lay the surfboard in the desired locations, take a ton of pics, trace it with chalk, remove and mail it to them for the pockets to get done.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the Alpha Z tower as a whole. Way too short. That same buddy was trying to figure out how to get 410s on it......

I don't think they do, They wouldn't do mine without the whole boat being dropped off, I'm sure a place close to you could do it easily

Edited by CJAY

I'm sure they could send you the pattern for a price. The problem you're going to run into here is there is no nautique dealers, so very few G23s, and I doubt he's worked on one.

Anyone have problems getting their bimini folded and stowed once they have added surf pockets? It's not a ton of material but the cover is already a pretty snug fit on mine!

I think I'll call Bakes and see if they can do this for me. Great thread!

We used to put our wakesurf boards on top also. But, we started to have some of our boards delaminate due to the sun and billow up like a pillow. The heat that is generated up on top of the black Bimini is immense. We now mount our expensive boards under the Bimini or just keep them in there padded covers.

Ha! Typical surf boards!

This is happening with some paddleboards too. What I think I've noticed is that boards that are hand shaped from a block of foam have a tendency to have this problem.... which is very much like almost all conventional surf boards & some makes of paddleboards.

BUT, boards that are made thru the foam injection process (liquid foam injected into a mold), DO NOT have the problems blowing up in the sun.

I don't know jack about how any wake surf boards are made (other than I bet their one or the other of these processes). But I've had 2 paddleboards have this problem, both of which were hand shaped from a single block of foam. And I know that Bic paddleboards are foam injected & DO NOT have this problem. And wakeboards, which have foam injected cores, do not have it either.

The trick will be asking any manufacturers, or maybe some ski shops can tell us how various boards are made.

We used to put our wakesurf boards on top also. But, we started to have some of our boards delaminate due to the sun and billow up like a pillow. The heat that is generated up on top of the black Bimini is immense. We now mount our expensive boards under the Bimini or just keep them in there padded covers.

It's interesting you say that...I've found that the boards mounted right up against (but still underneath) the black bimini get hotter than just being directly exposed to the sun because the black absorbs the light and transfers the heat to the board.

Ryan...we modified our bimini just using velcro straps and putting in some button holes in the bimini. It works well for storage, but our bimini moves around a bit much with the weight of the boards when the lake is choppy...yours would probably be fine since your bimini is likely mounted to the tower and would be more solid.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/45478-new-surfboard-biminibut-how-to-eliminate-sway/?hl=%2Bbimini+%2Bsway

Thats why we used drybag material....doesnt happen that way.