Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing illegal in Indiana?

Fman

A G24 with 6000 pounds of ballast at 11mph does not even come close to the rollers created by the larger 40ft+ boats that run up and down the local lakes in Knoxville. The docks don't get beat up at all.

The difference is that lakes with boats like that have docks built to deal with it. Small lakes that normally only see 21ft or smaller boats are not set up to deal with a 21ft boat that makes a wake like a 40ft cruiser.

Lake of the Ozarks - sure, stuff has always had to be built to handle huge water. A 247 acre lake - not so much

So can someone site a specific example about how their property is being trashed by the evil wake boats? Are we talking about a dock being damaged by a wake? How good of condition was that dock really in before it was damaged by said wake?

Already gave one, but here it is again. On a small (247 acre lake) where the water level does not fluctuate - ever, so the docks tend to be rollouts which are set relatively low. Water depth tends to be 2ft until you get out a few dock sections so the docks are fairly long. Pontoon boat tied to a pretty new Floe aluminum dock system.

Surfer boat came by with the rear nearly under water (legal distance from shore). The rollers were enough to lift the pontoon up and slam it down repeatedly until the dock section it was tied to detached. Now, damage wise it was really just a couple dents in the tube and a huge pain in the rear - we caught it before the pontoon dragged the dock into the rock wall on shore.

Now this is a place where there are plenty of skiers, tubers and wake boarders running up and down the lake so wakes from boats are not unusual. This is the first time anyone had seen a surf boat on the lake and there was a lot of talk about it because there were other boats and docks effected by the waves.

The small lake is attached to a bigger lake where a surf boat wouldn't be any issue, as long as they were not hugging the shoreline.

post-22501-0-19782800-1397143024_thumb.j

Hmm, at our lakes no one technically owns the "lake front". The lots usually end 20 feet before the actual lake so everyones docks are on crown land. I haven't had any issues with anyone about rollers on our lake and we usually pull up to other peoples docks to load up gear and unload because it's on crown land. Sure I don't own it but it's on public property. Haven't had anyone come out yelling saying "GET OFF MY DOCK" or " YOUR WAVES ARE RUINING MY DOCK" or even heard of an incident like this. All I see is the kids on the beaches screaming in excitement as the waves plow them over and everyone is happy. HAPPY! happy....

On the lake we chose, we don't own where the dock sits, rather we have a single use permit from the County for x amount of years.

Our cove is about 300ft wide and only about 600ft long, mainly frequented by bass boats.

You guys really have me thinking about if I am a courteous boater or not LOL. I try and stay away from other boats, obey no wake zones, i never buzz by any docks. I would say that I see people mostly obeying these rules. I don't think the boat makes a difference, you always see someone doing something stupid every weekend. Jet-Ski, ski boat, cruiser, etc... Why try to legislate surf waves, when the real issue is the driver of the boat, no matter what kind it is.

Ownership can differ from lake to lake state to state and I guess country to country. On my lake I own to water front. others have deeds showing ownership of bottom land. We have one area that does have a common at the waters edge. We have privet lakes as well as state owned lakes as well as public lakes.

True story and I would like you to be honest and give your opinion here. The only time I would question the integrity of my crew was at a boat launch. I would like your to know if yoiu would you consider this to mean that my crew is one of these inconsiderate boaters your are talking about.

I will paraphrase: - Trying to launch the boat, fisher trolling behind the boat sees us stays there for like 5 minutes at least just taking his time. We cannot launch I am waiting in the truck waiting for my Brother In Law to back off the trailer. I step out of the driver seat and start yelling some pleasantries at the fisherman. He replies by raising his salute. Finally moves off a little and my B-I-L pulls off the trailer and sits off to the side. I am parking the boat and little did I know B-I-L filling ballast tanks. While coming to pick me up at the dock he does a low speed drive by completely full on the bass boat almost tosses them out. They start their boat up and get gone with a few more salutes. Some other people on the launch are actually cheering.

How would you have handled it?

Old Jeep, I wish we had water that nice. Docks anywhere in Oklahoma have to be built to take waters like LOTO because of our wind.

For example one of our small power plants has a 40-50 acre cooling lake that is maybe 4' deep. It has about 2' white caps all over it right now.

True story and I would like you to be honest and give your opinion here. The only time I would question the integrity of my crew was at a boat launch. I would like your to know if yoiu would you consider this to mean that my crew is one of these inconsiderate boaters your are talking about.

I will paraphrase: - Trying to launch the boat, fisher trolling behind the boat sees us stays there for like 5 minutes at least just taking his time. We cannot launch I am waiting in the truck waiting for my Brother In Law to back off the trailer. I step out of the driver seat and start yelling some pleasantries at the fisherman. He replies by raising his salute. Finally moves off a little and my B-I-L pulls off the trailer and sits off to the side. I am parking the boat and little did I know B-I-L filling ballast tanks. While coming to pick me up at the dock he does a low speed drive by completely full on the bass boat almost tosses them out. They start their boat up and get gone with a few more salutes. Some other people on the launch are actually cheering.

While I laughed, that's a d*** move. Dangerous and childish.

From my experience, yelling doesn't help the issue. I have had much more success in offering help to people hogging the ramp than I have yelling at them. I have done plenty of both. Go spoil their douchbagness with kindness next time. You will be surprised with how much it makes them feel like an a$$hole and they will get out of your way more quickly.

• Like 3

Well, if you were close enough to the launch, it was probably a me wake zone. I maybe would have done setting similar but from a distance.

But It also goes back to the point of involving authorities in certain situations. Maybe not this one, but you try to talk to people and they automatically tell you to "F off" because they can do what they want. Your not going to see me with shirt and sperrys off (sorry Afun) as if I fight it would be to defend myself, not jaw at someone looking to fight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While coming to pick me up at the dock he does a low speed drive by completely full on the bass boat almost tosses them out. They start their boat up and get gone with a few more salutes. Some other people on the launch are actually cheering.

^^^ thats a problem and puts your BIL party to criminal and civil negligence... vehicular..aggrivated etc. Had he swamped their boat....

Wake boarding and surfing are becomming more popular and there are more boats out there that can produce big waves. Lots of homeowners, myself included havent had anyone on the lake that was capable of producing such large waves yet but I know it is just a matter of time. The home owners on our small lake have only delt with pontoons, and a few I/O s, and never a specific wave- making boat. Their docks, seawalls, and the way they secure their boats are not prepared for this.

WHEN, one of these boats show up, I can predict property damage and other issues.

Thankfully it is a private lake and we dont have many issues.

^^^ thats a problem and puts your BIL party to criminal and civil negligence... vehicular..aggrivated etc. Had he swamped their boat....

Yep, I don't disagree. Now I feel bad. I understand, so next time be kind and don't fill up the ballast tanks for the drive by and wait until they get out of the no wake. Also if we swamp them make sure we throw our state required throw able life preserver. Just kidding. I get where you are coming from. I guess it's was his moment of boat rage. LOL

• Like 2
martinarcher

Yeah, not cool. Try politely asking him to move his boat. Respect given = respect received.

I'm a big advocate of the golden rule. It applies on the water as well regardless of the boat/person you come across. Can't we all get along?

• Like 2

Yep, I don't disagree. Now I feel bad. I understand, so next time be kind and don't fill up the ballast tanks for the drive by and wait until they get out of the no wake. Also if we swamp them make sure we throw our state required throw able life preserver. Just kidding. I get where you are coming from. I guess it's was his moment of boat rage. LOL

Always remember you are responsible for any damage caused by your wake.

Hey, I love the police on our lake. I love it when they hang out in our section of the lake. People tend to behave better when they are around. On a hot sunny mid-summer weekend, there can't be enough police on the water as far as I'm concerned.

I completely agree with you... the problem is on our lake the "lake patrol" is a bunch of under qualified security guards who have no idea what they are doing. Never there when I want/need them, and always causing more problems then they are worth when they are there. I wish we had the VDGIF people like the rest of the state instead of the private company.

They're usually just creating rollers in the morning for the rest of us if they are out, when it is just people skiing who usually know what they are doing. Sometimes even following us... there are already enough wallies who do this I don't need more. One time the sailing club had a bunch of buoys out for a regatta and the guy came up to me and asked if myself or someone else was dumping trash all over the lake :Doh:

Agree. We have limited water here so I try understand the fisherman, but there are plenty of no wake / fishing zones. They are always in the ski zones complaining about the boats. I had one guy shouting & flipping me the bird so I rolled over & asked him if our skiing in the ski zone was messing up his fishing in the ski zone?

I know right! Fishermen always complain about wake boats disturbing them and they give you dirty looks, but that's why we have stereos they HAVE TO LISTEN to when they piss you off. Those idiots are always the ones trolling the launch ramps fishing while people are offloading. They should be subject for fine's on that.

I've got nothing against you guys, but I think this sums up the problem. Surfers are just as likely to generalize all fisherman as much as all fisherman (or homeowner, or insert whatever group) are likely to generalize all surfers. A few bad experiences and we make blanket assumptions about the group. The rest of your experiences were probably neutral (no interaction) and therefore the bad behaviors stand out in your memory and form your opinion more than logic or your other experiences. It's human nature - prejudice.

Which is why it should not be legislated, and also why we should be more tolerant & respectful of each other.

• Like 2