Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing illegal in Indiana?

Fman

^^^This is one good benefit of being regular foot while surfing. We must drive counter-clock-wise around our lakes, which means the rollers are sent to the other side of the lake. By the time they hit that shore, we are long gone.

Edited by Cory

I think a big problem too is most people that own a ski/wake boat don't know their state rules regarding no wakes. (edit: and jetskiers usually know even less about the laws).

Large wakes can be dangerous and cause damage. Those that live on the water understand that a lot more than those that don't. But for those that don't, just imagine if there were no wake rules and someone was wakesurfing 100' from the boat ramp....how would you feel about putting your boat in and/or tying it off to a dock while you park your truck. Now imagine you had to leave your boat there all day unattended due to your "truck" not starting....you would be pretty pissed at the guy wakesurfing doing laps back and forth all day.

And just because someone has a house on the water doesn't mean they are loaded and can have things replaced without any financial issues. Many have different priorities, and stretch every penny to make it work. For example I have a 20 year old boat, and can't afford anything newer, but I do live with my boat on the water a stones throw away from my house.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with this law, but I think its a good eye opener to see what could possibly happen to wake sports. I feel that more people should be aware of the local rules and more importantly their surroundings.

I think you are aggagerating thinks here. I have not seen anyone doing what you are talking about. I have NEVER seen a wakesurfer buzzing the launch ramps. Jet ski's are guilty of that and more so fishing boats halling a around - they have even less respect. And if someone is seriously doing that I don't care what kind of boat they are in there are going to be words shared.

ie Don't make a law that impacts everyone to deal with delinquents. Deal with the delinquents because it doesn't matter what kind of boat they are in they will always be doing stupid S.

• Like 1

No argument here, whatsoever. You have to understand that voters put these Baboons in office so maybe we should start with the Low Information Baboons who dont like motorized watercraft,

guns,

scantily clad women,

trucks,

beer,

hunting,

successful businesses,

trust funds,

investments,

exotic cars,

motorcycles,

did I mention scantily clad women?

Seriously? What kind of backwards thinking is that? Why is it everyone gets lumped into generalizations? I think I like everything on your list, I don't get why if you want clean air or water you don't like "successful business". I didn't know in order to be successful it meant getting to act irresponsible. I'm all for hunting, but I'm not going to shoot a fawn. Trucks, beer, motorcycles? Give me a break.

These laws are enacted because of the "it's my right to do what I want people" sure, go out and hunt, but don't wipe out the species. What will you hunt next? Go out onto the lake and enjoy, but be respectful of others.

I love going to Parker and own a house there. I expect everything that goes on with it, but before I was an owner there, I still respected the locals area. It's amazing to me that the tube float still is allowed there. You should see the amount of trash (couches, etc) pulled from the river after that. Is it that hard to pick up your own trash? Is it that hard to surf or ski away from a dock? Do you look cool for the people on shore to see you? You guys saying "tough sh&t are the same ones who would complain if something happened to your boat or property.

It's not about whether people have a lot of money or not, they are property owners and get to vote on these issues. You will not have a say come vote time if you do not live in the community.

Is it that hard to be respectful?

Shirt and sperrys never came off during that rant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by wakebrdr94
  • Like 2

The quote in the original post is contradictory and impossible to understand. If touching the transom or swim step while the boat is underway is illegal, that is fine and the current law in WA. It simply bans teaking. But the quote goes on to discuss wake surfing and wake boarding and the size of wakes. A law that prevents you from touching the swim step or transom while the boat is underway will not prevent wake surfing or wake boarding. There seems to be a disconnect here.

This is the exact attitude that's leading to these restrictions. It's not just the wakes. It's people not respecting others' properties, acting selfishly, driving recklessly, and blasting offensive music at an obscene volume (not saying you are doing these things, but those on the extreme side of your line of thinking certainly are). Homeowners, especially those with family, are likely to be upset by any combination of those things. The wakes, and their perceived impact on the shoreline--real or not--are the easiest thing to go after in our currect eco-conscious society. The homeowners, many of whom are quite wealthy, are going to win a lot of those rulings. Like it or not, that's America. BUT, something tells me if you're respectful of your distance to docks/other boats and mindful of your music/volume, most of these wake complaints will magically go away.

You can't be serious! The people who live on the lake must understand there will be boats, waves, etc... wave shoreline impact is a ridiculous argument. I guess they need to put up wave breaks in case the wind kicks up a bit. People drive down the road and I have to listen to their crappy loud music, you don't see me trying to make eco-conscious society rules on the road noise. People that live on the lake have to deal with it just like all the rest of is Americans.

I think some view wakesurfing as a short rope and body surfing the wake close to the swimstep. I've seen people do that and heard of people not coming up with carbon monoxide poisoning

Those free love hippie baboons are also the ones that have ensured you have a lake to play on. If it were up to big business's, they'd dump crap into anything because it's cheaper to do that than to pay to have the waste they've created disposed properly. It's about respect of others around you. It only takes one idiot to ruin it for everyone. Expecting to take some rollers on your property, absolutely. Expecting people not to know the laws and surf 15 ft from your dock, no way. I'd be out there with a video camera for those morons handing the film to the local water cops if my boat/property was getting beat like that. I'm now officially waiting for BS to chime in :) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have obviously been on here a long time based on your posts. I will try not to alienate everyone today. I will only say this. If you have a problem with someone being an idiot don't grab a cop and tattle. Wave em down, get a bull horn, throw something at them I don't care get their attention and handle it yourself. You get more respect that way and at least in front of your house that mess will slow down.

I believe the WA law also includes an additional provision about body surfing a boat wake on your stomach or back as being illegal also. Again, you can't say a law that requires you to be touching the transom or swim step while underway can be extended to activities using very short ropes. It doesn't work like that. If you aren't touching the transom or swim step, then you aren't breaking the law.

Edited by Cory

It really has nothing to do with how sensitive I am about it. The law is the law. People think they can do whatever they want on the lake because it is their "right" to do so. However, most people don't understand that their rights end when they infringe on my rights and vice versa. That is why they have these laws. If people had more respect for others, it wouldn't ever come to having to make a law that restricts or bans certain activities. We all complain about jet skis, aka "lake lice". Why? Because many of them don't have any respect for other boaters when they wake jump, come too close to skiers, etc. Because of the actions of a few, many areas now ban jet skis. If we as a group don't police our own behavior, wake surfing and maybe even wakeboarding could also face a ban.

Also, its not just homeowners that complain. Fishermen, pleasureboaters, etc also may not like the huge waves. The closest I ever came to seriously swamping my boat was at a lake in Ohio with no houses. Some idiot powerturned his big cruiser about 20 feet from my Rlxi and I had to take emergency action or the wave would have swamped us big time.

Amen my point exactly police our own.

I know right! Fishermen always complain about wake boats disturbing them and they give you dirty looks, but that's why we have stereos they HAVE TO LISTEN to when they piss you off. Those idiots are always the ones trolling the launch ramps fishing while people are offloading. They should be subject for fine's on that.

Agree. We have limited water here so I try understand the fisherman, but there are plenty of no wake / fishing zones. They are always in the ski zones complaining about the boats. I had one guy shouting & flipping me the bird so I rolled over & asked him if our skiing in the ski zone was messing up his fishing in the ski zone?

• Like 3

Seriously? What kind of backwards thinking is that? Why is it everyone gets lumped into generalizations? I think I like everything on your list, I don't get why if you want clean air or water you don't like "successful business". I didn't know in order to be successful it meant getting to act irresponsible. I'm all for hunting, but I'm not going to shoot a fawn. Trucks, beer, motorcycles? Give me a break. These laws are enacted because of the "it's my right to do what I want people" sure, go out and hunt, but don't wipe out the species. What will you hunt next? Go out onto the lake and enjoy, but be respectful of others. I love going to Parker and own a house there. I expect everything that goes on with it, but before I was an owner there, I still respected the locals area. It's amazing to me that the tube float still is allowed there. You should see the amount of trash (couches, etc) pulled from the river after that. Is it that hard to pick up your own trash? Is it that hard to surf or ski away from a dock? Do you look cool for the people on shore to see you? You guys saying "tough sh&t are the same ones who would complain if something happened to your boat or property. It's not about whether people have a lot of money or not, they are property owners and get to vote on these issues. You will not have a say come vote time if you do not live in the community. Is it that hard to be respectful? Shirt and sperrys never came off during that rant Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I swear sarcasm is wasted on the wrong people all the time....

You have obviously been on here a long time based on your posts. I will try not to alienate everyone today. I will only say this. If you have a problem with someone being an idiot don't grab a cop and tattle. Wave em down, get a bull horn, throw something at them I don't care get their attention and handle it yourself. You get more respect that way and at least in front of your house that mess will slow down.

Don't throw a Sperry, they are expensive...Government Crap makes shirt come off easily

You can't be serious! The people who live on the lake must understand there will be boats, waves, etc... wave shoreline impact is a ridiculous argument. I guess they need to put up wave breaks in case the wind kicks up a bit. People drive down the road and I have to listen to their crappy loud music, you don't see me trying to make eco-conscious society rules on the road noise. People that live on the lake have to deal with it just like all the rest of is Americans.

There's a law against that too.

The state of California adds at least 500 new laws to the books every year. Rarely do laws get "taken off" the books. Most of these laws are ridiculous and hardly enforcable. Do you see where this is going? I am very afraid.

It is obviously not enforced. Anyway you know what I mean. If you lived in Vegas on the strip, you wouldn't complain about the lights staying on too long. Wait, or would you?

Noise by-laws are a whole nother can of worms and impossible for police to enforce. There is no way for them to prove that the noise measured by their instrument came only from your boat or stereo. There are noise by-laws on our lake, but the police can't enforce them. I wish they could somehow... We have a summer home on a lake and every so often a dude with an above water exhaust flies by and everything stops when they do. They are as loud as a monster truck and clearly violate noise ordenances, must the police can't do much about it. The local community has turned its focus on getting above water exhuast systems banned. I believe the measure passed in our city, but our lake straddles several cities, so these boats are still on the water in force. The city line runs down the center of our section of lake about 200 ft from our dock.

It is obviously not enforced. Anyway you know what I mean. If you lived in Vegas on the strip, you wouldn't complain about the lights staying on too long. Wait, or would you?

I know what you're trying to say and No, I wouldn't. I've never complained about a boat wake hitting my dock. I actually enjoy watching the boats go by. That said, I picked a lakehouse that is at the end of a cove so I wouldn't get big wakes going by my dock (Most boats are at idle speed by the time they get down to me). However, surfers that have tried to surf in our cove have gotten an earfull from my neighbors who live closer to the main channel. As a dock owner, I expect some boat wakes and know that I have to budget some money for dock repairs. It's part of being on the water. However, I also expect other boaters to have some respect for my property and try to surf on the 27,000 acres of the lake that have no homes. Am I being unreasonable?

I'm starting to think you are the Po Po

People have asked me if I'm a police officer. Must be the shaved head... :lol:

• Like 2

Hey, I love the police on our lake. I love it when they hang out in our section of the lake. People tend to behave better when they are around. On a hot sunny mid-summer weekend, there can't be enough police on the water as far as I'm concerned.

You got to understand...I'm a Shirtless Sperry Wearing Ninja from Miami that has an accent with Rollers that go for miles surrounded by a Knoxvillians...the Po Po just looks at me a little differently, lol

I have no problem talking with someone and trying to settle things on my own. 9 times out of ten out where we are you get an "F you" more than a sorry about that. I've never called the police for something like that. However, you get the "you bought a house, here deal with it" type, how far is that conversation going to go? I'm all for policing our own, and I would venture to say the majority on this board would give that respect. How long do you let it go when your property (boat, dock, house) gets damaged over and over? If someone was going down your street damaging your car on a regular basis, you'd be calling the authorities as well, would you not? What's the difference land or water?

Edited by wakebrdr94
  • Like 2

You got to understand...I'm a Shirtless Sperry Wearing Ninja from Miami that has an accent with Rollers that go for miles surrounded by a Knoxvillians...the Po Po just looks at me a little differently, lol

At least you're from the South. What do you think they think about all of us Yankees that come down from Ohio every weekend.

At least you're from the South. What do you think they think about all of us Yankees that come down from Ohio every weekend.

Miami is not the South...I don't think it's even part of the union. The Marinas on Norris are blaming the folks from Ohio for bringing in the Zebra Mussels. Overall, People from Ohio are awesome. I have one friend from Columbus and another from Springfield.