Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing illegal in Indiana?

Fman

I know what you're trying to say and No, I wouldn't. I've never complained about a boat wake hitting my dock. I actually enjoy watching the boats go by. That said, I picked a lakehouse that is at the end of a cove so I wouldn't get big wakes going by my dock (Most boats are at idle speed by the time they get down to me). However, surfers that have tried to surf in our cove have gotten an earfull from my neighbors who live closer to the main channel. As a dock owner, I expect some boat wakes and know that I have to budget some money for dock repairs. It's part of being on the water. However, I also expect other boaters to have some respect for my property and try to surf on the 27,000 acres of the lake that have no homes. Am I being unreasonable?

That makes more sense. I didn't read it that way it was lost in translation. I agree there is a level of respect required for boat owners. I just thing that sometimes people who own property around the lake think that they control the core of engineers land and the water in front it. At least in Texas. It's usually some grumpy azz old man who doesn't think you should even be able to go through his cove. You kind of sounded like one of those people at the time until I understood your point better.

I have no problem talking with someone and trying to settle things on my own. 9 times out of ten out where we are you get an "F you" more than a sorry about that. I've never called the police for something like that. However, you get the "you bought a house, here deal with it" type, how far is that conversation going to go? I'm all for policing our own, and I would venture to say the majority on this board would give that respect. How long do you let it go when your property (boat, dock, house) gets damaged over and over? If someone was going down your street damaging your car on a regular basis, you'd be calling the authorities as well, would you not? What's the difference land or water? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't call the cop's personally. I would take it as a personal challenge to catch em in the act and institute some back woods Texas justice.

I wouldn't call the cop's personally. I would take it as a personal challenge to catch em in the act and institute some back woods Texas justice.

Yeah, thought about pulling a few drain plugs in my day. The most I have to deal with is loud music and motors at 2am as we have a place in the canals, not on the main strip. I just have a problem with people not respecting other peoples property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you are aggagerating thinks here. I have not seen anyone doing what you are talking about. I have NEVER seen a wakesurfer buzzing the launch ramps. Jet ski's are guilty of that and more so fishing boats halling a around - they have even less respect. And if someone is seriously doing that I don't care what kind of boat they are in there are going to be words shared.

ie Don't make a law that impacts everyone to deal with delinquents. Deal with the delinquents because it doesn't matter what kind of boat they are in they will always be doing stupid S.

Did you mean "exaggerating"?

Please re-read my post...and think about how you responded with being upset if "anyone" was buzzing back and forth while your boat was tied up to the launch ramp dock. I have a boat that stays on the water year round, I have several friends that own homes on the water and have 2-5 boats on their docks. I understand why water front owners get upset when someone comes too close to their dock while traveling well above idle speeds, in the state of California, the distance is 200 feet. That's approximately the width of a 17 wide lane hwy....I've personally never seen a hwy that wide, or half of a football field (including the end zone). Most people in CA do not realize this and come much closer. My post was to try to help some of those that don't live on the water understand how it feels when people violate a law and the action potentially deteriorates their property over time. (Hell in my example your boat is sitting on a dock for a few hours)

You should also understand that many of these lake owners have owned their homes well before wakeboard and wakesurf industry began doing so well. So this is why they are probably starting to get upset about wakes destroying their property. You can't exactly say its their fault for owning their home in the path of your wake. A majority of these lakes have HOAs that the lake owners pay a decent amount to keep their property nice. These HOAs also set rules which will usually help benefit the homeowners. I was actually looking at buying in a community that now does not allow ANY boats larger that 20'-0" and no ballast is allowed.

All I'm trying to get across is be more aware of where your wake is going to head and what it is going to affect.

Some of those people that have those multi-million dollar homes seem to have connections and money to get laws passed. Maybe you should rethink your approach to a potential problem.

And what is my "approach" to the problem exactly?

Edit: Nevermind I just read through the rest of the thread and see that because I think people should be responsible for their own choices I'm now lumped into the category of music blasters and I apparently ruin other people's property to get my kicks. We're all liable for any damage to anyone's property caused by our wake. If I actually broke someone's dock with my wake, I'd have to pay for it - and I'm totally fine with that. The responses targeted at me because I expect other people to own their own choices is laughable. The fact that my attitude (that people should own what living on a lake really means) is CAUSING these restrictions is a joke? Is it opposite day or something? I'm the guy who is advocating FREEDOM but I'm the CAUSE of these laws? Are you guys even using that thing between your two ears? Think guys...

For what it's worth I've never broken a law of staying the appropriate distance from land / other boats / riders. I also dont blast music at other people. I personally have never used my tower speakers. For none of you knowing a darn thing about me you sure apparently have some conceptions about what i do / and what I'm causing. Is it really so wrong to expect that other people shouldn't be passing laws because they dont like waves on a wake lake? There is nothing more childish IMO and it's why I moved to a state without nanny laws and a lake that is so big people would be crazy to restrict wake boats because God makes waves 3 times bigger than any boat I've ever seen here.

Edited by wakeboarder3780

OH YEAH, i forgot it's not riding season for most of you, so you're all edgy. I've been riding for months, so I guess I'm not as salty as some of "yall"

Did you mean "exaggerating"?

Please re-read my post...and think about how you responded with being upset if "anyone" was buzzing back and forth while your boat was tied up to the launch ramp dock. I have a boat that stays on the water year round, I have several friends that own homes on the water and have 2-5 boats on their docks. I understand why water front owners get upset when someone comes too close to their dock while traveling well above idle speeds, in the state of California, the distance is 200 feet. That's approximately the width of a 17 wide lane hwy....I've personally never seen a hwy that wide, or half of a football field (including the end zone). Most people in CA do not realize this and come much closer. My post was to try to help some of those that don't live on the water understand how it feels when people violate a law and the action potentially deteriorates their property over time. (Hell in my example your boat is sitting on a dock for a few hours)

You should also understand that many of these lake owners have owned their homes well before wakeboard and wakesurf industry began doing so well. So this is why they are probably starting to get upset about wakes destroying their property. You can't exactly say its their fault for owning their home in the path of your wake. A majority of these lakes have HOAs that the lake owners pay a decent amount to keep their property nice. These HOAs also set rules which will usually help benefit the homeowners. I was actually looking at buying in a community that now does not allow ANY boats larger that 20'-0" and no ballast is allowed.

All I'm trying to get across is be more aware of where your wake is going to head and what it is going to affect.

Really you are going to spell check me. Is this English class or do you just not have the cognitive ability to read a sentence and ascertain it's understanding by simply using the built in auto correct function in your brain. If you don't here is a helpful link for you to develop that skill. http://wonderopolis.org/wonder/does-your-brain-autocorrect/ You will find it useful in allowing you to have written conversations with people without coming across as demeaning and childish.

Now to the point you were trying to make - Your boat of choice is a Tige' enough said!

Coming from someone that has lived on the main channel for 10 years I think boarders and skiers, not the ones behind bass boats, are much more respectful and kind than other lake users. It is over a 1/8 mile wide at our house and you would not be leave the idiots that buzz 50' feet by our dock in all types of boats. Never have I seen a boarder that close other than maybe me. The worst is bass boats. I swear they have passed so close running well in the 70 mph range while kids are swimming off the dock. Needless to say they get the double bird salute. Back to wakes. If you live on the lake and have a dock deal with and prepare for it. Sure rollers suck sometimes but they happen. Hell the kids love em to play in on the ramp. We even go out and make huge ones for them to surf. If your dock or shoreline can't handle it beef it up and stop the wining. Have a few beers and wash the worries away. Cheers

Sent into space with tapatalk

So can someone site a specific example about how their property is being trashed by the evil wake boats? Or is it just a bunch of whiners that see waves and immediately imagine their perfect property is going to collapse? I'm not going to brag about what I own, but it's objectively an expensive house and I live in an HOA that is focused on nice property too. Exactly what part of their property is getting trashed by these evil wake boats?

Are we talking erosion? My dad has owned lake front my entire life. He has erosion on a very tiny lake without large natural waves OR wake boats (there is NO wakeboarding scene up there). What him and every other lake front owner I know does is buy natural rock and line their shore line with a mix of sizes to make a wall of protection that both protects the land from incoming waves, and catches the fine bits of dirt that wash down during rainfall.

Are we talking about a dock being damaged by a wake? How good of condition was that dock really in before it was damaged by said wake? Even still the boat owner would be liable to fix the damage by current laws. There is no additional law needed to ban wake enhancing devices, you simply get a payout from whoever broke it. When I ride around our lake I see people who maintain their docks in good structural integrity with well thought out designs - and then i see people with docks that have to be 15 years old and sagging into the water. Something tells me it's the people with crap docks that are complaining about "the waves causing damage". Lets get real, the docks that get damaged by a wake are probably the ones that are so weathered they should have been replaced years ago.

I personally have both a budget set aside for fixing my own dock AND a budget set aside for fixing anothers dock if I actually caused an issue. The people who think because they buy cove property should not have to deal with any boats are crazy. Unless there is absolutely no wind, people are going to ride in coves because it's calm. Unless you buy property on a section of a cove that the law would prohibit a boat from riding in (ie so narrow that if a boat went down the middle they'd still be breaking the law of keeping X distance from land) you have no one to be mad at but yourself for being ignorant to the current law.

To add more nanny laws to get your way IMO is childish. I would LOVE to hear FIRST HAND experience of all the damage these wake boats cause and what the circumstances were (was the offending driver breaking an existing law or not).

Also the logic that my mentality of "people trying to ban wake boats are the problem" is the reason people make nanny laws - LOL.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that opposing nanny laws is why they get created. I suppose I should conform and be a proponent of nanny laws so they... don't get created?

Whoever said my "mentality" is the problem, I don't know how strong your math and logic skills are, but if you had my job which requires it, you'd be fired by day's end.

I can only speak for floating docks that are the only type allowed on TVA lakes. Personally, I have not had any real damage to my dock. However, this is partly due to the fact that it is relatively new and that I'm on the end of a cove. The people who have docks on or close to the main channel have a much bigger issue with wake damage. My dock mover and my dock builder make a good part of their living repairing these docks that are damaged from wakes. In some cases, they make several repairs over the duration of the season which is quite costly. These docks are not old docks that are already falling apart either. I do think that the people that choose to live on the main channel should expect more wear and tear on their docks than those that live in the coves. That is a price you pay for enjoying a better lake view. Anyone that doesn't believe that large wakes can't cause dock damage is an idiot in my book and there is no point arguing with them.

Erosion is not as big of an issue, at least on our lake. I would guess that this would be a bigger issue on small lakes.

Wow, lots of stuff here... I think to sum it up its all about having common sense and following some basic rules. Being courteous to everyone around you including fisherman, lake front property owners, etc... I believe in California one of the reasons we have so many issues on the lakes is because they do not require a boating or pwc license. Anyone can go out and purchase a boat or jet ski, launch it the same day and be out on the lake with zero experience or knowledge of the water ways. I still can't figure out why they don't mandate every boat owner is required to take a written test to learn some basic rules on the waterway. I think this would eliminate a lot of problems we encounter today on the water. Imagine what driving a car would be like of nobody had to take a driving test. The fees generated from a boat license could be put to good use. Do any other states require a boat license? Maybe I am being unrealistic but it seems like a license would be a step in the right direction????

Dude, no one is saying wakeboats are evil, what site are we on? The issue is that some of the people who own boats (any boat) have total disregard of others, because it is "their right" to be a D bag. Everyone one of us expects to take some wakes on the water, we get that. No one is saying we won't. Our place is in the canals off the main channel which is a no wake zone, and we should expect no wakes due to the confined area. I don't really see what is so hard to understand. I understand you must ride at a pro level, so it's important to show off close enough to shore that those of us on docks can see you throw your tantrum.

And yes, i am going to call you out personally. Who budgets for their wake to damage someone else's dock? If that is true, you either should not be driving or know you buzz docks too close. Your attitude about what others are complaining about is the problem. Heaven forbid anyone not want their docks buzzed like in the video.

1st video is extreme, but anyone who goes to Parker knows this is a reality, especially buzzing by roadrunners. D bags buzz the dock doing 40 mph sometimes because I guess it's cool. Would you honestly want this on your dock all day?

Next video is time lapse where my place is, it is no wake. Now imagine the boat in the first video plowing through the canals in that manner. I promise you I have seen it. Am I unreasonable or being a nanny because i don't want wakes in the canals? its not safe

Edited by wakebrdr94
  • Like 2

I just got done house hunting and this was one of the docks with one of the houses in strong consideration:

post-15240-1397138959863_thumb.jpg

I passed on this one as it is a narrow section of the lake and a busy one.... Main thoroughfare... Folks do watersports by here and I don't think I am entitled to miles of ripple free glass in every direction. I think it'd be childish and silly to think I could chase folks down around the lake because I got dock rash. I know if I kept my boat here it'd be a constant battle of waves slamming into the dock and boat etc.

I ended up going an entirely different route with a house with a dock in a long deep no wake canal... Only 40ft wide. There I DO think am entitled to glass and calm conditions there for my boat and dock.

Seems like common sense to me.

• Like 2

You have to wear a vest on a SUP? Where's that at?

Believe it or not yes you do according to our local sheriff. My wife and I were stopped on Folsom one time. You can lay the vest on the board, but it has to be on the board. I belite once you reach a certain distance from the shore is when this comes into affect.

I can only speak for floating docks that are the only type allowed on TVA lakes. Personally, I have not had any real damage to my dock. However, this is partly due to the fact that it is relatively new and that I'm on the end of a cove. The people who have docks on or close to the main channel have a much bigger issue with wake damage. My dock mover and my dock builder make a good part of their living repairing these docks that are damaged from wakes. In some cases, they make several repairs over the duration of the season which is quite costly. These docks are not old docks that are already falling apart either. I do think that the people that choose to live on the main channel should expect more wear and tear on their docks than those that live in the coves. That is a price you pay for enjoying a better lake view. Anyone that doesn't believe that large wakes can't cause dock damage is an idiot in my book and there is no point arguing with them.

Erosion is not as big of an issue, at least on our lake. I would guess that this would be a bigger issue on small lakes.

TVA allows permanent docks on many lakes under their control. Not quite sure why Norris is floating only (perhaps because of water level fluctuation) but I can see how they would take a beating.

Edited by Tims

Wow, lots of stuff here... I think to sum it up its all about having common sense and following some basic rules. Being courteous to everyone around you including fisherman, lake front property owners, etc... I believe in California one of the reasons we have so many issues on the lakes is because they do not require a boating or pwc license. Anyone can go out and purchase a boat or jet ski, launch it the same day and be out on the lake with zero experience or knowledge of the water ways. I still can't figure out why they don't mandate every boat owner is required to take a written test to learn some basic rules on the waterway. I think this would eliminate a lot of problems we encounter today on the water. Imagine what driving a car would be like of nobody had to take a driving test. The fees generated from a boat license could be put to good use. Do any other states require a boat license? Maybe I am being unrealistic but it seems like a license would be a step in the right direction????

there are some private lakes that require you get a license to operate a boat on it. My buddy lives on spring valley lake, i had to take a test and get a license so i could pull him while out there. they should do that on a larger scale

I just got done house hunting and this was one of the docks with one of the houses in strong consideration:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397138950.639921.jpg

I passed on this one as it is a narrow section of the lake and a busy one.... Main thoroughfare... Folks do watersports by here and I don't think I am entitled to miles of ripple free glass in every direction. I think it'd be childish and silly to think I could chase folks down around the lake because I got dock rash. I know if I kept my boat here it'd be a constant battle of waves slamming into the dock and boat etc.

I ended up going an entirely different route with a house with a dock in a long deep no wake canal... Only 40ft wide. There I DO think am entitled to glass and calm conditions there for my boat and dock.

Seems like common sense to me.

Seems like the ideal setup for lakefront property would be to have a covered lift. If your boat is out of the water the rollers would have little effect. I would be pissed to have my boat thrown into a dock with some yahoo driving to close to the dock.

I always chuckle when you are on the lake and someone tries to be courteous and slows down to drive by you and creates larger wakes than they would have going by at 25 mph...

Seems like the ideal setup for lakefront property would be to have a covered lift. If your boat is out of the water the rollers would have little effect. I would be pissed to have my boat thrown into a dock with some yahoo driving to close to the dock.

I always chuckle when you are on the lake and someone tries to be courteous and slows down to drive by you and creates larger wakes than they would have going by at 25 mph...

That's one reason why we added the lift to our covered dock. It really protects the boat from any wakes that come in.

A G24 with 6000 pounds of ballast at 11mph does not even come close to the rollers created by the larger 40ft+ boats that run up and down the local lakes in Knoxville. The docks don't get beat up at all.

I am not fighting to ban wake boats as for one thing they are not the sole problem. I also think everyone has a right to use public lakes and I enjoy watching boats and people having fun. I don't mind a bass boat or a off shore going by at 70+ mph, if conditions are good for this.

Each lake each shore have different ability to react to wave action. Depth, lake bottom, makeup sand, rock, clay, angle of shore, at waters edge and I know I have not covered all. But for someone who has not lived on a lake or studied the effects to think they know the effects of such action is less the honest. I have quality docks heavy aluminum over time the pounding brakes welds. I have had my boat lifts moved with very large wakes smashing into the boat sitting on the lift. And yes I keep the boat well over the majority of boat wakes hight. I HAD a beech and sea walls do not stand up for ever.

All I am saying is wakes and loud boats and music will and do have an effect on lake front owners. Most people are respectful some are ignorant and others just don't give a $#it about others. As with all our surrounding our actions will and do change how people look at our use of the area.

Whoever said my "mentality" is the problem, I don't know how strong your math and logic skills are, but if you had my job which requires it, you'd be fired by day's end.

I'm an engineer living in San Diego, so I'm doing just fine. But thanks for your concern.

I specifically included a disclaimer that the people on the EXTREME side of the "homeowners on lakes should know what they signed up for, so tough luck" mentality are the reasons for the restrictions, and said I was in no way implying you were one taking it to those extremes. Maybe you are closer to that side of the spectrum though since you're taking it so personally?

Regardless, again, it's really not about the wakes. That was my (and several others') point from the beginning. It's all the things that give some random homeowner--many of whom have nothing better to do--something to complain about. And if they want to get rid of you, for whatever reason, they're not going to chase offenders down every single time and handle it face to face. That's not realistic. They're going to go to the HOA or the city with the complaint that's most likely to gain momentum. Noise complaints won't. Neither will stories of reckless drivers. But lawmakers' ears pop up at the mere mention of environmental protection, whether there's much basis in evidence or truth or not. And who gets to vote on it? The homeowners.

It's a pretty delicate existence. I'm happy for you that your lake doesn't seem to be like that, but that's not how it is everywhere. And there's a fundamental chasm between how you want these things to be handled and how they actually are, sad as that may be.

A G24 with 6000 pounds of ballast at 11mph does not even come close to the rollers created by the larger 40ft+ boats that run up and down the local lakes in Knoxville. The docks don't get beat up at all.

This is the truth. I had a yacht going about 30mph perpendicular to me over the weekend. It was tough keeping the nose high enough to not take on water.

Edited by dezul

well the guys with the $150-$300k yachts arent the lower class wake thugs water front property owners love to look down on as not on their level to share the water, so lets use our connections and status to legislate them out.... elitism at its finest, some standards of decency are so high they are double, like yacht wakes.