Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing illegal in Indiana?

Fman

Ind. watersports to be restricted 7/1
Updated: Thursday, 23 Jun 2011, 2:58 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 23 Jun 2011, 2:24 PM EDT

Myra McCain
INDIANAPOLIS (WANE) - The Indiana Department of Natural Resources announced Thursday that starting July 1, a new law will go into effect that will restrict wake boarding/surfing and teak surfing behind certain motorboats.

Teak surfing, or holding onto the swim platform while the boat is underway at any speed including running idle, will become illegal behind all motorboats powered by an inboard, inboard/outboard or outboard engine.

The same law will apply with wake boarding/surfing.

According to DNR Commander, Lt. Gary Whitaker, the new law was proposed after the state saw an increased number of carbon monoxide poisoning cases from teak surfing and propeller injuries from wake surfing.

Whitaker said this new law applies to activities that take place directly behind the boat in the wake where the wake is the means of propulsion to the individual.

Whitaker said if a person is skiing or tubing and is not directly behind the boat and the rope is the means of propulsion, then the law does not apply.

Whitaker also said wake surfing has increased the amount of damage to other vessels due to the fact that the boats are producing huge wakes. Those wakes then crash into boats and piers and end up causing secondary damage.

Violation of the new law could include up to $500 in fines and court costs, which estimate to be around $130

Edit: Thread taken from Wakeworld, here is the link. Either way what a bummer that this could happen, I am sure other states would follow.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788400

Edited by Fman

From WW thread....

Good news. I just spoke with Lary Meddock at WSIA and he confirmed that this law only pertains to outboards and I/O's. Unfortunately there are a lot of misinformed CO's out there that think this law pertains to all boats, as evident by the news paper.

The WSIA was all over this about 2 weeks ago when they originally heard the news of this law being passed. They are in the process of working with the Indiana Boating Law Administrator to get a bulletin psted that let's people know inboards are exempt. He said the whole reason behind this law is to prevent platform dragging (he is trying to get rid of the term "teak surfing" because it sounds fun) which can lead to CO2 poisoning.

If this law went into affect throughout the country, this would be a MASSIVE blow to the wakeboat industry, a would think a large majority of there sales now are generated by wakesurfing, its easy and anyone can do it.

• Like 3

This thread indicates only illegal behind I/O or outboard.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26599-wakesurfing-illegal-in-indiana/page-2

'zornman', on 06 Jul 2010 - 1:59 PM, said:snapback.png

So I received an email from the DNR last week and they have made a ruling. Wakesurfing IS legal in Indiana and a communication is going out statewide so that it is enforced in the same manner. :yahoo: There are 2 stipulations - the boat must be an inboard (no IOs or Outboards) and you must be 5 feet from the transom. Other than that, you are good to go.

BTW - Completed my first 3 of the season last night!

Edited by oldjeep

Interestingly, I still have never heard of a prop injury wakesurfing, even behind an I/O.
I have also never heard of one CO poisoning that happened while wakesurfing.

Dragging behind the boat is another story, we have hashed that one out before. You are an idiot if you do that. The story is usually complicated by the fact that the CO poisoned individual is not wearing a life vest and spends time on the bottom of the lake.

This thread indicates only illegal behind I/O or outboard.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26599-wakesurfing-illegal-in-indiana/page-2

'zornman', on 06 Jul 2010 - 1:59 PM, said:snapback.png

You're probably right. However, notice how it mentions damage from "huge wakes" to docks and docked vessels. This could easily cause inboard wake boats to be included in the future.

• Like 1

It was bound to happen sooner or later, especially with respect to the damage that it causes to docks and moored boats.

Edit: - 2011?

Remember the lake came first then the houses. If you build on the lake it's your fault. God made these creations, so us humans could enjoy them. With this being said, I am still considerate of where my rollers go. Edited by Afun

Remember the lake came first then the houses. If you build on the lake it's your fault. God made these creations, so us humans could enjoy them. With this being said, I am still considerate of where my rollers go.

The law disagrees with you.

I just pulled this from the Indiana website, it looks like the law is strictly for I/O and outboard boats....

The WSIA has spoken to Major Michael Portteus about this matter. Major Portteus is the Boating Law Administrator for the State of Indiana. Major Portteus has confirmed with the WSIA that Direct Drive and V-Drive inboard boats are exempt from this new law.

That is good news, because California would have been all over this if this had been in place. We have every law known to mankind.

• Like 2

It was bound to happen sooner or later, especially with respect to the damage that it causes to docks and moored boats.

Edit: - 2011?

How could they ever use that as an excuse. If they tried to hang their had on this then they would have to tell all the large cruisers they can no longer drive their boats. I have seen some huge boats and no matter how slammed a wake boat is we could not approach the same size wave. Still sounds like some crap politicians would try because fishermen complain to them.

If it pertained to size of wakes, that would eliminate a lot of boats down this way and in havasu, Parker, etc. all the 28'+ boats out there throw up some pretty good wakes. Even at high speeds. I agree with it being outlawed behind I/O and outboards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by wakebrdr94

The law disagrees with you.

The law only exist because the houses were built on the lake. I know you are sensitive to this subject because you own a home on a lake. You have already posted saying to be careful on Norris lake with the docks.

Oh Yea...and the hippy free love baboons at the EPA say because of shoreline erosion...gimme a break

Edited by Afun
  • Like 2

Remember the lake came first then the houses. If you build on the lake it's your fault. God made these creations, so us humans could enjoy them. With this being said, I am still considerate of where my rollers go.

Not always the case, Some lakes are man made, just saying.. Dont take this the wrong way and tear your shirt of or anything... :unsure:

I think a big problem too is most people that own a ski/wake boat don't know their state rules regarding no wakes. (edit: and jetskiers usually know even less about the laws).

Large wakes can be dangerous and cause damage. Those that live on the water understand that a lot more than those that don't. But for those that don't, just imagine if there were no wake rules and someone was wakesurfing 100' from the boat ramp....how would you feel about putting your boat in and/or tying it off to a dock while you park your truck. Now imagine you had to leave your boat there all day unattended due to your "truck" not starting....you would be pretty pissed at the guy wakesurfing doing laps back and forth all day.

And just because someone has a house on the water doesn't mean they are loaded and can have things replaced without any financial issues. Many have different priorities, and stretch every penny to make it work. For example I have a 20 year old boat, and can't afford anything newer, but I do live with my boat on the water a stones throw away from my house.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with this law, but I think its a good eye opener to see what could possibly happen to wake sports. I feel that more people should be aware of the local rules and more importantly their surroundings.

Edited by Joeprunc

I thought there a law about being a certain distance from a dock and having to go 5 mph? 50 yards is ringing a bell, but I could be mistaken.

Ca is 200 feet from a dock with a boat, anchored or moored vessel.

Well, the lake came first then the houses and then the boats that put out ocean liner sized waves. This is an issue at my parents lake where they had a dock separation after a huge wake from a surfer tossed the pontoon high enough to pull the dock apart.

• Like 3

In CA

655.2. Speed limit for vessels in certain areas.
(a) Every owner, operator, or
person in command of any vessel propelled by machinery is guilty of a misdemeanor
who uses it, or permits it to be used, at a speed in excess of five miles per hour in any
portion of the following areas not otherwise regulated by local rules and regulations:
(1) Within 100 feet of any person who is engaged in the act of bathing. A person
engaged in the sport of water skiing shall not be considered as engaged in the act of
bathing for the purposes of this section.
(2) Within 200 feet of any of the following:
(A) A beach frequented by bathers.
(B) A swimming float, diving platform, or lifeline.
© A way or landing float to which boats are made fast or which is being used for
the embarkation or discharge of passengers.
(b) This section does not apply to vessels engaged in direct law enforcement
activities which are displaying the lights prescribed by Section 652.5. Those vessels are
also exempt from any locally imposed speed regulation adopted pursuant to Section 660.

just imagine if there were no wake rules and someone was wakesurfing 100' from the boat ramp....how would you feel about putting your boat in and/or tying it off to a dock while you park your truck.

So you've been to the Minnetrista ramp on Minnetonka? ;) Seems to be the most popular place for a couple of folks to tube, and wakeboard - don't think I've ever seen someone surf right in front of it. Idiots everywhere and that is why there will continue to be more regulations.

• Like 2