Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Saltwater Use

Aqualoony

Gday all!

My first post here but i have read a lot and so far have found it to have an unreal amount of info, particularly for newbies like myself!

Thsi is a question for those who use their boats in salt water. Is the freshwater cooling necessary? i am cusrrently looking at a WS XTI and it is not offered as an option, i'm guessing because of space problems. I am always very thorough with post use cleaning, but are there any areas of the boat that need very special attention to ensure corrosion is prevented?

and last but not least (sorry for all the questions!) does malibu used marine grade tinned copper wiring in the boats?

thanks in advance everyone!

Pete

If I knew I was going to be running in salt water mostly, I'd do whatever it took to get a closed cooling sytem on my boat. Plus, probably a few annodes. As far as the wiring, I doubt they use anything but standard copper stranded wiring.

Unfortunately I'm in a hurry right now so I can't give a full response (I'll come abck later). I use my 'bu in brackish (fresh or salt mix depending on tidal conditions, rain, etc.). Like Pete said, I highly recommend doing whatever you can up front to mitigate the corrosive nature of the salt on your boat...

More later,

JZ

i use 100% in brakish and highly recommend FWC. Are you sure you can't get that option on the XTI (i guess it depends on the motor you have selected).

I have been running boats in salt water for 40 years now, and have to say that there have been no issues with my boats or trailers directly related to the salt. I do trailer my boat and also use it in fresh water. When used in salt water, water going thru the motor for cooling is not corrosive as long as the tempature is kept below 170 degrees. We have 140 degree stat's. I flush the motor and thoroughly wash the boat and trailer every time. Besides my Bu, I have a 1970 runabout (purchased new) which has spent most of its life in salt water. It does not have the original motor, but that was replaced due to wear(2200 hrs and 2 rebuilds), not salt related issues. My second motor has 900+ hrs on it with no issues. Remember, I trailer my boat. Leaving it in salt water all summer would be another situation such as bottom painting, running gear corrosion, and removal and washing.

I am fortunate to live close to a freshwater lake but I still use a soluble flushing oil - have a look at this: http://www.macsmarine.com/index.htm

Even though my Hammie has FWC, the boat still gets a dose of Macs every once in a while for insurance against corrosion. Others in my Club ski on salt regularly and again Macs stops the rot.

When used in salt water, water going thru the motor for cooling is not corrosive as long as the tempature is kept below 170 degrees. We have 140 degree stat's.

I don't think so, sir. Corrosion is pure chemistry the temperature may affect the speed at which things corrode, but I PROMISE you that corrosion is happening. I guarantee you have rust and/or corrosion on your bu (and especially in your trailer (unless it is galvanized or aluminum) if you in fact are using it in salt water.

Just as proof to this, salt in the air is enough to destroy a car, or corrode parts on your boat - I've seen it first hand - and there is no way that the temperature outside is over 170 degrees. Here is Malibu's excellent billet chrome logo after ONE year on my boat and I SCRUB this meticulously with fresh water, soap, etc. after EVERY time in the water.

JZ

If I'm not mistaken, I have a 160 degree thermostat, with the temperature of the engine rising to close to 175 before falling back to 160 after the thermostat opens and cooling has begun for that cycle...according to the gauge, anyway...

hey again all!

Thanks for all the reply's, i spoke to the dealer in Sydney here and he said about 80"% of the Malibu's sold in the area are used in salt. Apparently they can fit FWC to, despite what the 06 catalogue says, although at our pricing it costs the same to upgrade to the monsoon as it does to add FWC.....makes it a tough decision go the extra power or the FWC option? i will have to think hard about it, i am use to boating in saltwater, we have had our current boat for 25 years and it is still in as new condition, but it has basically no electronics and is a carby outboard and none of the luxuries the new ski boats have such as carpet etc. Also just wondering if the weed trap is a worthy option? we don't get to much debris in the water here just occasionally leaf matter after it rains (the river is in a national park)

again thanks for all the replies everyone it is unbelievably helpful!

Aqualoony,

I use my 05 VLX exclusively in salt water (Hong Kong). The boat generally stand up to salt water enviroment pretty well. But you will definitly need the FWC. Forget the engine upgrade because the 340 moonsoon has the ETX manifold which is cast aluminium, no matter how meticulous you are about flushing, it will corrode inside the water jacket and eventually puncture and cause engine damage, mine lasted 1 yr. Now have to revert to the cheaper cast iron setup. Unless the new salt-water series upgrade is available in oz, i say stay away from the ETX manifold

I can verify that cars in CA. that live near the ocean have much more corrosion going on than cars that live in-land. None of these cars see road salt or sand during the winter so, it's just from airbourne salt in the area that they're stored.

When used in salt water, water going thru the motor for cooling is not corrosive as long as the tempature is kept below 170 degrees. We have 140 degree stat's.

I don't think so, sir. Corrosion is pure chemistry the temperature may affect the speed at which things corrode, but I PROMISE you that corrosion is happening. I guarantee you have rust and/or corrosion on your bu (and especially in your trailer (unless it is galvanized or aluminum) if you in fact are using it in salt water.

Just as proof to this, salt in the air is enough to destroy a car, or corrode parts on your boat - I've seen it first hand - and there is no way that the temperature outside is over 170 degrees. Here is Malibu's excellent billet chrome logo after ONE year on my boat and I SCRUB this meticulously with fresh water, soap, etc. after EVERY time in the water.

JZ

I can verify that cars in CA. that live near the ocean have much more corrosion going on than cars that live in-land. None of these cars see road salt or sand during the winter so, it's just from airbourne salt in the area that they're stored.

these guys are spot on. it may not be the salt water running through the boat. it is the salt water air (especillay here in the east with the high humidty. my boats sits on a lift for 5 months of the year, and despite constant washing, engine flushing, etc, there is a LOT of corrosion (you'll replace seat sliders, hinges, dashparts, etc). there are many NON stainless steel parts on these boats. the biggest mistake i made is not getting a galvanized trailer. i use my trailer 2 times a year, but it sits in the salt air. i just took the boat out of storage this week, and found that the rear of the trailer has snapped in 2 from corrosion Mad.gif