Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gel Coat

5inthesun

Quick question. So I have one spot of gel-coat that I need to repair. I already purchased the paste to do the job. However, it is right where the boat is sitting on the Robber Bow Roller. Has anyone been successful in taking a normal 2 or 3 ton jack maybe putting some wood under it and jacking it up a little bit. I don't want to take any risk so someone with experience in doing this often without a mis-hap would be great. I only need 6 inches or so to get in there.

I used jack stands and a 4x4 wood block. First raise the tongue jack up, put block under bow, lower tongue jack, now you should have enough room to repair the gelcoat.

if there is pressure on it and you somehow get it removed you'll likely have even more to repair

and lifting it sounds like a good way to lose some fingers if it should fall so you'd better be sure it is stable

I used a shop floor jack to lift the bow up about an inch in order to replace the bow stop bumper without unloading the boat first. I had an extra thick red rubber pad on hand to use as the contact point so it wouldn't leave any marks. It worked great. The v part of the boat was strong and stable because a majority of the boat remained supported by the bunk rails.