Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Tongue Lock for 2014 Boatmate trailer

Chops

I have been searching all over the internet for a lock for a 2014 Boatmate Trailer. I would like to remove the safety pin and use a lock instead. I have seen the locks that are super skinny like safety pin, but cannot seem to find them. Anyone know where to find these?

I think the coupler lock would work but I am not 100% sure. I looked at the master lock version at tractor supply tonight and I dont think it is wide enough.

I tried a coupler lock only to bend it in half the first time out. Small thin rod with a lock that slid thru the safety pin hole, but it got caught when the coupler slid back in the tongue when I braked or reversed.

I tried a coupler lock only to bend it in half the first time out. Small thin rod with a lock that slid thru the safety pin hole, but it got caught when the coupler slid back in the tongue when I braked or reversed.

I never thought about that. Any other options or just go without lock?

Replacement cost insurance coverage is a good start :cheers:

Based on the experience comment, it sounds like it's best used for overnight parking or if you park outside at a storage yard. That's kind of what I was thinking anyway. I don't see anyone lifting my trailer from the boat launch. But for the few times a year she'll stay in front of the house overnight I may pick one up just to sleep better.

I use this set. I find that the coupler lock is sturdier/beefier than what I've used in the past (actually both are), & the locks match up. I use that & a ball in the tongue to keep someone from hooking up with a smaller ball.

Honestly though, if they want your trailer, they'll take it regardless of what measures you take to prevent it.

A pad lock on your safety chain? I have done this with flat beds and uhaul trailer. Use a link next to the hook and you are good and secure.

When we lock ours up, we fold the tongue away put two heavy duty locks where the "pin" would normally go when the tongue is not folded. We also use heavy gauge chain and chain it to a tree. As well put one of those "spindle" locks through where the trailer drops onto the ball on my truck. Basically we have 4 locks on it. Makes it extremely difficult to do anything with.

A simple option is to get a wheel lock (boot) for one of your wheels( like the parking enforcement uses). Trimax sells them. I have one for my work trailer. never had the trailer stolen, therefor it must work.

Kirk

Edit: The spindle locks require almost zero effort to get off. I had to get mine off because i lost the keys. One hit with the hammer and it was toast.

Edited by Big-K

Along these lines, anyone seen a lock for the swing away tongue pin. That is a nice and easy thing for some punk to grab that would really ruin someones day.

When the boat is parked, I use a horseshoe kryptonite type bike lock with the coke box key. Remove the swing away pin, rotate the tongue 45 degrees or so and put the horseshoe lock in, one side in the tongue, one side in the trailer and lock it.

I guess you could still hook up to the trailer and tow it away, but the trailer tongue would have a big dog leg in it and I am betting it wouldn't tow very well.

I just use a Master padlock on mine. It has the UFP trailer brakes. I figure most any lock is only keeping honest people honest. If someone really wants it, he's going to cut past anything I put on there. And that's what insurance is for.

ufp_a-60_general.jpg

When the boat is parked, I use a horseshoe kryptonite type bike lock with the coke box key. Remove the swing away pin, rotate the tongue 45 degrees or so and put the horseshoe lock in, one side in the tongue, one side in the trailer and lock it.

I guess you could still hook up to the trailer and tow it away, but the trailer tongue would have a big dog leg in it and I am betting it wouldn't tow very well.

I was thinking more of when the trailer is sitting at the ramp parking lot. It would really suck to come back from a day on the water to find that pin taken. Without that pin you aren't getting home.

Just an FYI, a person can grind through those bike locks, even the best of them, with a battery powered pocket grinder in under 20 minutes. The cable & chain type (even the hardened chain) can be done in well under 5 minutes. For most bikes that you'd feel okay about locking up, that's enough of a deterrent. For someone that wants your boat, not as much (depending on the situation). As mentioned above, the best prevention is to have good insurance.

I use one of these. Clearly with a cutoff wheel it could be defeated in no time at all, but that would be noticed pretty fast in my neighborhood.

coupler-loack.jpg

I think the effective bike lock is one better than the locks on other bikes you park next to.

Leaving a trailer somewhere sketchy is a bit different... I use one or more of these on my construction trailers... Depending on the level of sketchy. I'd say your trailer would be safe with 4 of them!

post-3471-13969964363206_thumb.jpg

I always thought I was a bit overly concerned with locking everything up... But it sounds like I'm not the only one!

I stay pretty close to home generally and feel good about where I leave the trailer unattended... Although I occasionally have been know to trailer up and consolidate with friends. Now I may be more concerned about that!

I think something like this is the best option if you think you are at risk. Anything can be cut, but this looks to be a pretty good challenge:

http://m.autoanything.com/towing/69A5235A0A0.aspx?kc=ffproduct&kpid=5235&k_clickid=77a88c85-a659-27e9-f2ea-0000653b1173&k_trackingid=274x&k_clickid=77a88c85-a659-27e9-f2ea-0000653b1173&k_trackingid=274x510&gclid=CJH2o-j90b0CFRSPfgodhXMAgw

I apply the same approach as I would to avoid being eaten by a bear. You don't need to out run the bear, just run faster than the guy next to you. I think 99% of criminals are simply lazy punks of opportunity. Just make your trailer more difficult to steal than the trailer you parked next to... Out of sight out of mind applies also.

I apply the same approach as I would to avoid being eaten by a bear. You don't need to out run the bear, just run faster than the guy next to you. I think 99% of criminals are simply lazy punks of opportunity. Just make your trailer more difficult to steal than the trailer you parked next to... Out of sight out of mind applies also.

I agree. Nothing is undefeatable but I'm just looking for what will make it too hard for the normal criminal just looking for the easy hit.

I use one of these. Clearly with a cutoff wheel it could be defeated in no time at all, but that would be noticed pretty fast in my neighborhood.

coupler-loack.jpg

Watch the video on youtube on how easy it is to pick this lock. The key lock is no good. I went with master lock set.

When I had my boat, I used to pull the pin and swing the tongue. Then I'd put a U shaped bicycle lock through the pin hole. Then I'd put a lock over the wheel. This is what I used:

http://immobilize.com/

Never had a problem with the California immobilizer. I bought mine at the local RV store. Easy to use too.

Edited by Sunscape fan