Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

10%ethanol, regular gas, 76 Race Gas!

Fishn4four

So in general the consensus opinion would be to use octane rating recommended by engine manufacturer without ethanol? Are there any newer engines that will run better because they were design around the fact we are using ethanol in almost all of our gas now?

Although Ethanol blended has less BTUs then pure gasoline, you will not notice a difference in performance. In a road car, you can calculate a difference in fuel mileage, but again, there is no seat of the pants performance difference.

The problem with ethanol blended fuel is what it does to older fuel systems that were not designed for the ethanol, and the fact that it absorbs so much moisture as compared to 100% gasoline. These are the reasons to avoid ethanol, providing you can still run an octane thats safe.

I've been putting in the Sta-bil ethanol treatment stuff in my gas. Dont know if it helps, but I assume it reduces the wear on rubber stuff along the fuel route.

Steve B.

Snake oil, but if it makes you feel better then do it. Stabil ethanol treatment is 99% propanol and 1% unicorn farts

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2

I know I have probably beaten this to death in prior threads but I am in kind of a pickle with this situation.

There is an ethanol free gas station near my house but the octane is 90 so not enough for the LS3

Therefore, I am forced to run 93 with ethanol. BUT, my boat is stored on the lake on a lift.

So what should I do? Sta-bil is apparently unicorn farts.

Should I just run premium, put in some unicorn farts, and keep the tank half full and just be sure to keep fresh gas in there?

Should I drive 50 miles for 91-92 octane ethanol free

Should I just run the 90 octane ethanol free? Is there that much difference in real world between 90-91 octane?

Should I call marine power and ask?

DocPhil - my .02

While ethanol can absorb and then shed water, it is not a magical water making machine. In areas with insane humidity theoretically it is possible for the water in the air to wind up in the gas, although not in any meaningful amounts even then. The way that most water gets into gas is that you either buy it with water in it or you have a path that allows water to enter the fuel tank.

In MI - this shouldn't be an issue if you are buying clean water free gas to start with. If you are concerned then the best thing you can do is to install a water separating fuel filter on your boat as some insurance. In 30 years of owning power equipment and 14 years of boats I have never had an issue with E10. My boats haven't had water separating filters on them either (pretty sure the new Malibu doesn't - didn't see one anyways)

As for the octane question - run what the engine manufacturer asked for. Too low and you'll either have detonation or in an FI engine the ECU will compensate and drop your power.

Edited by oldjeep

DocPhil - my .02

While ethanol can absorb and then shed water, it is not a magical water making machine. In areas with insane humidity theoretically it is possible for the water in the air to wind up in the gas, although not in any meaningful amounts even then. The way that most water gets into gas is that you either buy it with water in it or you have a path that allows water to enter the fuel tank.

In MI - this shouldn't be an issue if you are buying clean water free gas to start with. If you are concerned then the best thing you can do is to install a water separating fuel filter on your boat as some insurance. In 30 years of owning power equipment and 14 years of boats I have never had an issue with E10. My boats haven't had water separating filters on them either (pretty sure the new Malibu doesn't - didn't see one anyways)

As for the octane question - run what the engine manufacturer asked for. Too low and you'll either have detonation or in an FI engine the ECU will compensate and drop your power.

thanks that is super helpful Jeep.

So your take is skip the unicorn farts and run the 93 10% ethanol gas? Also, any rationale in using up the gas frequently? half tanks at a time?

thanks that is super helpful Jeep.

So your take is skip the unicorn farts and run the 93 10% ethanol gas? Also, any rationale in using up the gas frequently? half tanks at a time?

I'd just run the 93, E10 is all we run in any of our boats. As for the using frequently - I store my seasonal stuff with whatever was in the tanks, 6 months doesn't seem to matter in my experience. Had some gas in a couple sleds go bad when they sat for 18 months because of a bad winter where we never got enough snow to use them.

Edited by oldjeep

I'd just run the 93, E10 is all we run in any of our boats. As for the using frequently - I store my seasonal stuff with whatever was in the tanks, 6 months doesn't seem to matter in my experience. Had some gas in a couple sleds go bad when they sat for 18 months because of a bad winter where we never got enough snow to use them.

I agree, 6 months has never been that big a deal for me either.

But I live in an area that has some brutal winters occasionally, which means it could be unusually cold & snowy or warm. For that reason I run Stabil in almost all my toys & tools at the end of their season.... everything from the boat & bike to the lawn mower, snow blower & pressure washer. I just don't know for sure when I'll be using them again. The Stabil is cheap insurance.

BTW, I do have a chain saw with some bad gas & a gummed up carb that needs help. Wish I'd taken my own advice with it too.

I agree, 6 months has never been that big a deal for me either.

But I live in an area that has some brutal winters occasionally, which means it could be unusually cold & snowy or warm. For that reason I run Stabil in almost all my toys & tools at the end of their season.... everything from the boat & bike to the lawn mower, snow blower & pressure washer. I just don't know for sure when I'll be using them again. The Stabil is cheap insurance.

BTW, I do have a chain saw with some bad gas & a gummed up carb that needs help. Wish I'd taken my own advice with it too.

Only time I gummed up a chainsaw was when my dad decided to use the old red Stabil in some E10 ;) Stabil quietly changed the formula after they figured out that in E10 it formed red balls of gelatinous goo.

Indmar says "Premium fuel Recommended not Required (maximum 10% ethanol)" Marine power has no info on thier site. With that said, most of us are going to run premium, even though it is not required. I don't have a station near me that doesn't sell ethanol.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Edited by DarkSide

Indmar says "Premium fuel Recommended not Required (maximum 10% ethanol)" Marine power has no info on thier site. With that said, most of us are going to run premium, even though it is not required. I don't have a station near me that doesn't sell ethanol. Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I believe the new MP LS3 "requires" premium. I could be wrong

I believe the new MP LS3 "requires" premium. I could be wrong

The term "premium" is a loose marketing term, so I would confirm the actual octane number thats recommended. Depending on the region, premium can range from 91 up oct.

I would run the required oct, or the next level up thats available, and worry about ethanol 2nd. The only ethanol problem you need to be concerned with is phase separation due to moisture absorption. My opinion of additives like the Stab-Bil are different from others. They are not a cure-all pour it in a forget it magic potion, but I do believe they work to reduce the side effects from the ethanol blended fuels, when used as a preventative.

• Like 3

Mad this post back in Feb but it talks about fuel.

Fuel additives is always coming up so I thought I would put this out. It was more in line with snowmobiling but goes into fuel and what works or might not be good. It does talk about automotive and diesel also as well as some marine. Its a long video but interesting and worth a look. It goes into ethanol and octane.

I have not tried the product so am not saying its a must have but still very interesting. http://www.youtube.c...HCVL8dMqoiU#t=0