Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Purchase Ordeal

Kojak

For my first deal, I called and told him I would give him his asking price.

I know you guys love long, drawn out stories, but to summarize, plan was:

1) He would drive said boat to have engine compression test done / boat looked over at dealer appointment I schedule / pay for

2) I would buy plane tickets, fly down, test drive would happen
3) I would purchase boat with wire transfer

4) I would have boat winterized locally and shipped back

For the story: I scheduled all maintenance / winterization and a even shipper within a few days. Day three of working with him and I tell him that its good to bring to the dealer on day 5 for engine compression test. He's totally cool with it and agrees. The day comes and I call him and ask how its going and if he's still good to go and he claims everything is great and he's hooking up the boat immediately after. He calls me 45 minutes later and says he is leaving for the boat dealership...

About 25 minutes later he calls me back and is frantic. Claims he is 10 miles down the road from his house and has pulled over to call me... says he feels terrible but decided his boat is his baby and can't sell the boat and sorry he wasted my time... but if he changed his mind he would let me know first. Within 30 minutes, all internet postings are offline. I used to text him every 2 months and check if he changed his mind on selling the boat, but still no luck. I found my boat later for an even better deal... so good things come to those who wait!

...oh and buying a boat over 1000+ miles away is pretty stressful and difficult. haha

No this is all garbage ^^^^

Changing your mind after both parties agree is BS. The buyer puts time and effort into the transaction and pays a deposit, there's no backing out at that point.

• Like 2

I sold my 2001 prostar 209 last summer to a guy from Indiana ( I am in E. TN). I was very worried about this whole transaction, my wife was pregnant and about to pop at any moment. He was driving an insane amount of time and I just knew she would go into labor and he would be pissed etc etc. Long story short, everything worked out GREAT. We kept in contact with each other as the process went along and I sent him multiple pictures of the items he wanted to see. He came completely ready and left completely happy. I am lucky to of had such an honest buyer and would say that he would say the same about the seller. It is VERY hard to find honest people anymore and these long distance transactions can be very taxing, but also worth it.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

I've done several of these long distance transactions & not had any problems. Granted, they are taxing on the nerves, but in the end all 3 of my transactions went down as well as can be expected. I find my nerves were a little better if I could get a friend/acquaintance to go look at the boat (or whatever it is) & give me their opinion of the item & situation.

Thanks again Chris for lookin at my boat for me! And John for checkin out the golf cart for me!

Dude drop your unsolicited financial preaching. It's not wanted or needed and we have all seen you do it many times now. It's so easy to be better than everyone else over the internet.

I'll bet you would be the first person to complain when people go bankrupt, can't make payments and increase interest rates on loans that YOU get.

Someone mentions they are stretching themselves to the limit on a luxury purchase and we should all encourage him to do so? That makes sense.

I'll bet you would be the first person to complain when people go bankrupt, can't make payments and increase interest rates on loans that YOU get.

Someone mentions they are stretching themselves to the limit on a luxury purchase and we should all encourage him to do so? That makes sense.

Get over it. The guy already made up his mind he was interested. His financial background is none of our business.

The thing that got me is calling them unprofessional for including a turkey hunt in the deal. Wow, that's really presumptuous. I can't tell you how many business deals are made on a hunt, golf course, ski trip, etc. It's just not uncommon & certainly not for us to judge someone by this.

• Like 3

I'll bet you would be the first person to complain when people go bankrupt, can't make payments and increase interest rates on loans that YOU get.Someone mentions they are stretching themselves to the limit on a luxury purchase and we should all encourage him to do so? That makes sense.

Just show me where in the original post the guy was asking for financial advice. Right he didn't.

• Like 2

Are you riding a unicorn under that bubble of rainbows and butterflies you live in???

• Like 2

If you file a claim with PayPal and everything is documented for what the money was for it should be no issue getting a refund. But for a boat deposit, I agree with you. I would not use PayPal. Cashiers check from my bank is probably the only way I would do it.

Advice from a banker, don't give them a cashiers check, might as well fork over $1000 in cash. Once they cash the check you can't get the money back.

Get over it. The guy already made up his mind he was interested. His financial background is none of our business.

The thing that got me is calling them unprofessional for including a turkey hunt in the deal. Wow, that's really presumptuous. I can't tell you how many business deals are made on a hunt, golf course, ski trip, etc. It's just not uncommon & certainly not for us to judge someone by this.

I could not agree more. I traded a guitar and an amp into the price of my pool with my contractor. You never know what somebody wants.

• Like 1

I only commented because he was stating he was stretching himself thin. If not I wouldn't have said a word. I realize a lot of deals are made in may different ways - but typically doesn't involve hanging out hunting with someone as part of a deal on a boat. I get trading goods/services as part of a deal (brings the tax liability down in many cases, as well as not having to fork over as much cash), but that's not this situation.
ahopkins22LSV

Advice from a banker, don't give them a cashiers check, might as well fork over $1000 in cash. Once they cash the check you can't get the money back.

Good point. Wasn't thinking clearly this morning. ;)

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

Yup, with paypal at least you have a chance. Cash or cashiers check - you are at the mercy of the person you gave it to. Conversely I wouldn't actually accept paypal for a deposit or payment on a boat for that same reason.

I only commented because he was stating he was stretching himself thin. If not I wouldn't have said a word. I realize a lot of deals are made in may different ways - but typically doesn't involve hanging out hunting with someone as part of a deal on a boat. I get trading goods/services as part of a deal (brings the tax liability down in many cases, as well as not having to fork over as much cash), but that's not this situation.

No I think you commented on it because you saw another opportunity to display your superiority. I don't think your all that worried about one guy buying a boat driving up your interest rates.

I realize a lot of deals are made in may different ways - but typically doesn't involve hanging out hunting with someone as part of a deal on a boat. I get trading goods/services as part of a deal (brings the tax liability down in many cases, as well as not having to fork over as much cash), but that's not this situation.

You don't know that.

The guy said, "I contacted the seller and we worked out an agreement. Which was that I would send him a $1000 deposit check and he would fix a few things. We decided to wait until April to do the financing because I needed to sell my boat and we agreed that he would deliver it in exchange for me taking him turkey hunting for his first time."

Maybe YOUR trades have not included hanging out with the seller. But based on what the buyer told us, I would not assume that.

I can't tell you how many SkySkis I've sold over the years, then hung out with the buyer, given them lessons, advice on buying racks, boats, bumpers, what forums to check out, etc. I've even babysat their kids while they were out skiing. Sometimes the deal includes things like that. And to judge someone as "unprofessional" for it is, well, IMHO the pot calling the kettle black.

Regardless, I hope the deal the OP is working on now will work out for everyone concerned. Lookin forward to seeing pics of the new boat.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 1

No I think you commented on it because you saw another opportunity to display your superiority. I don't think your all that worried about one guy buying a boat driving up your interest rates.

Superior how? People make all sorts of stupid financial decisions (I sure have plenty of examples for myself) and may have not made them if someone simply pointed it out to them. If the guy can afford it - great - but the initial post didn't reflect that. Had someone pointed out a couple stupid things I did years ago I could have prevented at least a few mistakes. I never did anything to hurt my credit but definitely did a few things that hurt my financial situation.

The housing crash happened because of YOUR MENTALITY. Let everyone get loans for however expensive of a house they want. It's not my money or my business, let them do what they want. Then the market crashes, house values plummet, loans are harder to get, TARP funds are dispersed, and all of a sudden it has a lot of impact on you. Obviously the gov't "should" have had the biggest skin in the game to regulate some of this more (and I'm a small gov't person), but the mentality that people should just spend, spend, spend and be encouraged to do so has been clearly proven to be a bad one.

Regardless, the OP said later he could afford it, so I will assume he has it handled as I have no evidence to the contrary.

I was already pre-approved for the financing and sold my boat in a week, so I was ready to complete the transaction whenever. It was the seller's idea to trade the turkey hunt for delivering the boat and we had to wait until April for that. We had an agreement and he backed out of it at the last minute. I suspect he was having second thoughts in March since that is when he quit returning calls, texts, and emails. That's when he should have let me know instead of waiting until the last minute. And yes, he has more than zero credibility, otherwise he would have cashed the check and ran.

And stretched to the max doesn't mean I'm stretching myself to the point of bankruptcy. It just means that I am at the point that I do not want to spend any more money on the deal.

The current deal is progressing just fine. I'll make sure to post a pic when I get it home.

Definitely didn't mean to start a bunch of drama. Just needed to vent about the whole situation.

BTW, I'm feeling much better today. The stress level is down. :)

That was how I took your statement. When I make a purchase I have a budget that I would like to spend and a price a little higher that I am willing to go to. That doesn't mean I am not making a good financial decision, but does mean I have taken this purchase to my limit. I took it as you were at the top of what you were willing to take on. Not that is was anywhere close to not being affordable for you. Good luck on purchase a boat - round 2. Post pics as soon as you can. I love looking at Malibu boats...

• Like 2

I was already pre-approved for the financing and sold my boat in a week, so I was ready to complete the transaction whenever. It was the seller's idea to trade the turkey hunt for delivering the boat and we had to wait until April for that. We had an agreement and he backed out of it at the last minute. I suspect he was having second thoughts in March since that is when he quit returning calls, texts, and emails. That's when he should have let me know instead of waiting until the last minute. And yes, he has more than zero credibility, otherwise he would have cashed the check and ran.

And stretched to the max doesn't mean I'm stretching myself to the point of bankruptcy. It just means that I am at the point that I do not want to spend any more money on the deal.

The current deal is progressing just fine. I'll make sure to post a pic when I get it home.

Definitely didn't mean to start a bunch of drama. Just needed to vent about the whole situation.

BTW, I'm feeling much better today. The stress level is down. :)

So whats the status of you $1,000 check and the $700 you spent on inspection?

So whats the status of you $1,000 check and the $700 you spent on inspection?

The $700 is for the inspection on the current deal, not the one that fell through. The surveyor stated that he planned on completing the inspection this week.

I texted the previous seller this morning asking if he had mailed the check. I should have it tomorrow.

I know I'm crazy for not putting a stop payment on it, but the guy has had it this long and hasn't cashed it, so I'm going to let it go for another day and see if it is in the mail tomorrow.

The $700 is for the inspection on the current deal, not the one that fell through. The surveyor stated that he planned on completing the inspection this week.

I texted the previous seller this morning asking if he had mailed the check. I should have it tomorrow.

I know I'm crazy for not putting a stop payment on it, but the guy has had it this long and hasn't cashed it, so I'm going to let it go for another day and see if it is in the mail tomorrow.

Might as well if the guy seems trustworthy. Pretty sure you still have to pay a fee for a stop payment.

So what does the next boat look like?

Edited by oldjeep

Might as well if the guy seems trustworthy. Pretty sure you still have to pay a fee for a stop payment.

So what does the next boat look like?

I may be upset with him about backing out of the deal and feel like he has very little integrity, but not even for a minute have I ever gotten the feeling that he is dishonest.

New boat is black, tan, & white with some yellow accents.