Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Change

So I saw this a while back but I didn't pay attention to what the solution was. I can't seem to get the oil to drain out of the drain hose more than a few drops per hour. I stuck pump hose up the drain hose to suck it out but it still took a long time. I have verified the hose is not kinked. 2005 Monsoon.

Also, what kind of oil is everyone running. That Penzoil Marine stuff is not to easy to find.

Mine does take a while to drain as well. Are you taking off the caps off the valve covers where you add the oil? That seems to speed it along. I usually just let it drain overnight and refill in the am.

As Tom said on the draining.

I use the same weight pennzoil as recommended, only what I get doesn't specifically say "marine" on it. It's technically a heavy duty use oil used for diesel engines. But it says it is fine for use in combustion engines too. I get it from my local auto store. It's sort of on the side shelf from the rest of the oils.

So I saw this a while back but I didn't pay attention to what the solution was. I can't seem to get the oil to drain out of the drain hose more than a few drops per hour. I stuck pump hose up the drain hose to suck it out but it still took a long time. I have verified the hose is not kinked. 2005 Monsoon.

Also, what kind of oil is everyone running. That Penzoil Marine stuff is not to easy to find.

If you can't find the 15w-40 in any oil, you can use Chevron DELO 15w-40 as well.

And is has been warmed up first right?

Get a fake-a-lake and warm it up, open up the oil drain hose, loosen the oil filler caps. Oil will flow just fine otherwise you have an obstruction of some kind.

Did this just start occuring and drained fine in the past? Remove the gargen hose and check for any blockages, see if oil flows directly from the oil pan. It'll be messy but just clean up the bilge.

The rubber hose (garden hose as I call it) is conneted by a fitting to the oil pan. Mine on the SLXI simply coils up (about 18" or so long) around the port side front engine mount. The end of it has a flat ended nut that screws onto the rubber hose fitting to block the drainage of oil. I uncoil it and pull it through my drain plug underneath the engine. It looks something like this....

107906drain.jpg

I had the same problem with the drain hose even when I dropped it through the drain plug in the hull. Seemed to take forever and I never got all of the oil out even when the engine was warmed up. I picked up a tempo oil boy and have been very happy with it.

I picked up a couple of fittings so I can connect it directly to the oil drain hose. Oil comes out quickly.

Bryan,

I use a piece of fiber innerduct attached to my wet/dry vac on the blow side. The innerduct fits perfectly in the oil fill hole. I put a filter in between where the innerduct and vac hose connect as well as clean the vac out first, and let it rip...the oil is out in about 3 minutes. I have plenty of extra innerduct if you want some. It works really well.

Mark

Edited by gooddog

Here's the proceedure...

1) Pull the plug on the bottom of the hose and pull the dipstick or oil caps for ventilation.

2) Clean the boat.

3) Do some yard work.

4) Sit in the boat with a cold one wishing you were on the water.

5) Repeat step 4.

6) Hopefully by now you should have gotten 4 quarts into the oil pan. (this is dependent on how dirty your boat is and the size of your yard) If oil is still coming out repeat step 4 until complete.

7) Go to bed and finish when sober!!!!!

I use a piece of fiber innerduct attached to my wet/dry vac on the blow side. The innerduct fits perfectly in the oil fill hole. I put a filter in between where the innerduct and vac hose connect as well as clean the vac out first, and let it rip...the oil is out in about 3 minutes. I have plenty of extra innerduct if you want some. It works really well.

I don't think that's a good idea. You're pressurizing the crankcase too much. You could push the rear main seal back out of it's place. I'd do the overnight drain thing.

Thanks for the offer Mark. As for the Oil Boy, I bought the cheaper version of the Tempo pump to do the trans fluid and tried to use it but I got a defective pump and made a huge mess. I took the pump back and I was going to get the better one but I got to thinking. Something must be wrong. They put the hose on for a reason - I shouldn't have to pump it out or blow it out.

I think i will go up this weekend and try and take the hose off and find out where the blockage is.

The good news is I took the pump back to Boaters World in a plastic bag, covered in oil, with no receipt - and they still gave me a refund. :)

I'll keep you posted...

I don't think that's a good idea. You're pressurizing the crankcase too much. You could push the rear main seal back out of it's place. I'd do the overnight drain thing.

Pistol,

Its not near enough pressure to injure the seals. It is less pressure than standard crankcase pressure. :)

I don't get it...mine have always drained in 5-10 minutes if the oil is warm. check to make sure the hose isn't bent, routed up hill, etc.

Same here... Check and make sure the hose doesn't have a kink in it.

I use a little drill pump that I got at Napa Auto for 7 bucks. It's got a short garden hose on the output side, and a garden hose reducer to rubber tube that fits right over the bronze connector on the input side.

I can drain my oil cold (say 68 degree day) in about 5 minutes.

BTW: I run Valvoline 20/50 synthetic racing oil in my monsoon with the Napa Gold 1069 filter (actually a Wix filter)

I don't get it...mine have always drained in 5-10 minutes if the oil is warm. check to make sure the hose isn't bent, routed up hill, etc.

Same here, works fine for me.

I would also vote for a kink somewhere. I had a rather comical time changing the oil for the first time in my first boat until I realized there was a kink at the connection to the oil pan. I never could drain it through the hull and ended up with a rigged pump contraption I used to connect to the hose in the boat.

Napa Gold 1069 and Napa 15w-40.

I use an elec pump with boat on the lift.

Not sure how long it takes cuz you know how it is at the dock9.

Gotta do mine tomorrow.

I have the Tempco pump and added a brass female fitting (from Lowes) to the end of the hose. I screw that onto the drain hose from the oil pan and pump the Tempco a few times. In 5 mins all the oil is drained into the Tempco nice neat, clean and fast.

I have the Tempco pump and added a brass female fitting (from Lowes) to the end of the hose. I screw that onto the drain hose from the oil pan and pump the Tempco a few times. In 5 mins all the oil is drained into the Tempco nice neat, clean and fast.

I like this idea.