Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VTX VERSUS VLX SURF OPINIONS

08154XP

I am looking at purchasing a new VTX or a VLX, both with the diamond hull and do like to ski and surf and leaning more towards the surfing angle for the activity that we will do most and am looking for opinions on which way to go.

One thing about surfing the VTX. It can make a great wake with less weight than the VLX and for the reason there is a significant difference in surfing gas consumption. (If you care.)

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

Skiing/surfing point have been pretty much summed up in short above, but I would consider you crew and your daily boating activities.

Larger crew? Live on the lake and jump back to the dock frequently to change activities/eat/new people? Or spend all day on the lake without being able to get back to a dock to reload?

VLX will have a larger interior and storage, depending on how much extra ballast you add.

Just sold my VTX. Great boat, but it produces a relatively short surf wave if you want a decent push. Does everything decent, nothing great except ski (as far as wake boats go).

I would go VLX unless your skiing a lot.

Also, note the difference in beam width. VLX seems quite a bit bigger in part because of this.

Edited by tjklein

Do you have a VTX now? If so, you will hate the ski wake of the VLX IMO.

I sold my VTX a couple of summers ago and have gone boatless since then so looking to get backing into boating but as I get older I seem to want to surf more than ski. We usually have a small crew and spend all day on the water without heading back to shore.

We love to surf and it is super chill but we get a little bored with it after a while. Skiing better or trying harder at wake boarding seems a bit more rewarding.

At this point I'd probably take a VLX simply because it is a great size with just a little more space than a VTX. Sorry, not sure that really answers your question at all.

Do you just casually ski or are you still looking to chase some buoys?

Just a casual skiier and I am the only one that even attempts to ski with my crew anymore. No buoy chasing here. My VTX with some weight put out a good wave but was steeper rather than longer and I never really got a great long wave dialed in so if the VLX is easier to use with surf gate and weight properly that would be a bonus too but I've never owned or surfed a new VLX or VTX with surf gate

Just a casual skiier and I am the only one that even attempts to ski with my crew anymore. No buoy chasing here. My VTX with some weight put out a good wave but was steeper rather than longer and I never really got a great long wave dialed in so if the VLX is easier to use with surf gate and weight properly that would be a bonus too but I've never owned or surfed a new VLX or VTX with surf gate

How much additional weight do you plan to use? I had a 13 VTX w SG and I surfed it all summer with just factory weight (not even plug and play) and it was a high quality wave with the wedge right. With the VLX you pick up some more potential but requires more weight too.

How much additional weight do you plan to use? I had a 13 VTX w SG and I surfed it all summer with just factory weight (not even plug and play) and it was a high quality wave with the wedge right. With the VLX you pick up some more potential but requires more weight too.

I had a 400 lb fat sac on the listed side with another 200 under seat mid ship and human weight of another 150-200 depending on who was with so on a new unit I would have full factory ballast plus 400 in each storage locker and another 200 to put wherever needed in either the VLX or VTX

ahopkins22LSV

I don't have personal experience but I have heard quite a few people that are more than happy with the diamond hull on the VLX for open water skiing. I would probably go VLX because the extra space would be nice. But, as mentioned it will require more weight. The VTX is an awesome boat though, I can understand your struggle!

I don't have personal experience but I have heard quite a few people that are more than happy with the diamond hull on the VLX for open water skiing. I would probably go VLX because the extra space would be nice. But, as mentioned it will require more weight. The VTX is an awesome boat though, I can understand your struggle!

It may come down to dollars and cents because we never had too many size complaints with the VTX although more room is never a bad thing.

If it's just you occasional skiing, then go VLX. Especially if you don't want to spend $50k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

For what's it's worth I've wake boarded behind both and had skiers behind both, I've only ever surfed behind my VLX but I can't imagine the VTX Pushing a better wake given it's hull length; go with the VLX IMO.

For what's it's worth I've wake boarded behind both and had skiers behind both, I've only ever surfed behind my VLX but I can't imagine the VTX Pushing a better wake given it's hull length; go with the VLX IMO.

Haha I'm one of those skiers.

To me the choice is obvious, go with the VTX. But thats because I AM a skier. Whatever sport you favour and are most passionate about you will be most critical over. I can notice differences in ski-wakes that no strict surfer or wakeborder will ever notice. If you're really looking to just open water ski occasionally and don't mind a casual laid back ski than yes I think the VLX is the better option. It produces a nicer surf wave, most noticeably in length and curl. wakeparadies VLX is a wake hull so the ski wake was pretty bad relatively. I mean it was good for what it is and I would take a casual pull anytime but I would be livid if I bought it with my intentions to ski. Like I said though it has the wake hull.

You really need to ski the VLX and surf the VTX. By the sounds of it your not "serious" enough about either sport that it will make a huge difference and I imagine you would be happy with either, but only you can make that decision.

If you're a skier looking to surf, VTX.

If you're a surfer looking to ski, VLX

• Like 3