Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sun Shade IDEAS Please

Shodan01

I am trying to attach the picture of my boat, lift and dock. My lake has a rule about no tarps or sides on the docks, however many many people have them so I think I will be fine. I am thinking of running a track of screen material, mounting it to the top, and using a roller system to allow it to go up and down. In the picture, the main areas that get the sun are the bow and the port side.

Question or thought: Would mesh material (website says 70% UV protection) really protect against UV rays?

Any ideas to add sun protection.

My slip is 30 by 10 (yes 30)....and my roof height is almost 12 foot.

I have a hoist that I used for a Wrangler Hard top that I am thinking of using to hold odds and ends that shouldn't be messed with, but I don't know if it would be safe enough for boards etc.

Steve

Edited by Shodan01

I was thinking of buying just plain fiberglass screen from my local hardware, folding over the edge on the top/bottom and putting treated 1" wood trim (bathed in Thompson's Water Seal first). That way I could put ropes to fasten to the top and provide a little weight on the bottom. I could get some airflow but still have UV and rain protection. I have concerns about how well it will wear and how it will work with a couple of slits on the side to allow access in/out and a slit in the back to allow the boat to float in.

What website are you referencing that provides 70% protection?

Tarpsplus.com has several options. One mesh type comes 10 by 30.....perfect width and height. Was thinking of adding wooden edge to hold at the top, and the bottom either a metal pole, or wood at the bottom.

Not sure yet....still thinking.

I have a similar issue and had some side shirts added to my cover. I thought about going with something on the dock as well but figured it would get tore up during storms from heavy winds. The skirts if done right should block all the sun from the boat.

I thought of that too - using skirts...there is a local lady who can sew them on, but I was wanting to cover the bimini as well. Probably the most cost effective way of doing this.

Thanks for the advice!

I have this same issue. I was thinking about using mesh material and adding grommets to align with my dock posts to hang. Using rubber bungies to tighten when leaving for the week.

I thought of that too - using skirts...there is a local lady who can sew them on, but I was wanting to cover the bimini as well. Probably the most cost effective way of doing this.

Thanks for the advice!

Just going to say +1 for the skirts.....my factory cover came with skirts. Makes life soooooooo easy.