Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

waxing the bottom

Waxing the hull voids your lifetime warranty, boys. Didn't you read the fine print? Because most people will not/can not wax the hull where it sits on the bunks a Maximum Hullspeed Differentiation is introduced. You have parts of the underside that can not freely go as fast as the other parts, due to no wax/wax. This induces a vibration which causes delamination, eventually leading to hull failure.

You've got to be full of it.

Waxing the hull voids your lifetime warranty, boys. Didn't you read the fine print? Because most people will not/can not wax the hull where it sits on the bunks a Maximum Hullspeed Differentiation is introduced. You have parts of the underside that can not freely go as fast as the other parts, due to no wax/wax. This induces a vibration which causes delamination, eventually leading to hull failure.

LOL. Yeah right! Nice try. Let me guess, you stayed at Holiday Inn Express last night? Tongue.gif

Now thats funny Surprised.gif

Well, yeah, this is Jack that we're talking about. Biggrin.gif

Now that is funny. But I do remember that discussion on MBO and someone brought up some guys site that sold this polymer stuff that off shore racers use to lessen drag I think, but the stuff was 2 or 300 for a few ounces. Anyone remember that?BTW, waxed mine first year, not worth the effort!

Crazy.gif:)

I knew a guy that used to race larger gofast boats. He explained it to me once with a hands on example. Pretty interesting. He actually took and wet sanded the wetted/running surface of his $$$$$$ boat, claimed it increased top speed by almost 2 mph, which would of cost big bucks in motor work to achieve. Wax vs. not waxed makes a difference, but it is very minimal and would be even harder to quantify. The idea is a waxed surface creates more surface tension. You know how water beads up on a waxed surface - that's surface tension. On a non waxed surface the water just rolls off. Another example of surface tension can be seen or felt if you try this: Take a spot of fiberglass and wax it up real good and leave an unwaxed spot next to it - if your real daring wetsand another spot - splash some water on the fiberglass and take the tips of your fingers and try and push (push away from you) them across the surface. You'll notice the waxed surface trys to grab or catch them, and the others allow them to slide easier. Again this is surface tension. This is a hard concept to accept due to our common beliefs on waxing.

So by waxing the bottom of my hull with Turtle wax to get it clean and to make it easier to scrub the mung off in the Fall, how much top end am I losing in my Sportster?

So by waxing the bottom of my hull with Turtle wax to get it clean and to make it easier to scrub the mung off in the Fall, how much top end am I losing in my Sportster?

You waxed that bottom of your boat??? Cry.gif With all that surface tension it will never get up on plane again. Crazy.gif

I wax the bottom of my boat two or three times a year, just need a creeper and your all set. My opinion is that gelcoat should be protected, and that all that turbulent water flow BS is for the racers in offshore boats going 100+.

Manual says to wax the bottom if you moor the boat. Unbelievable that they say to not leave it in the water for for more that 2-3 weeks at a time.

I wax the bottom of my boat two or three times a year, just need a creeper and your all set. My opinion is that gelcoat should be protected, and that all that turbulent water flow BS is for the racers in offshore boats going 100+.

You've got a good point there. I doubt there's even a measureable difference in drag on a typical ski boat, with it waxed or not.

Maybe it depends on where the boat is stored. If a hull sees a lot of UV exposure, it might make sense to wax it once a year. But if it's in a garage, the gel won't break down as fast. Just a thought. Funny that the theory is that you lose speed with a waxed hull. Whenever I wax the hulls of the sea doos I get another mph.

And this trick really is great, using windex, not glass plus, will get you an extra 2 buoys from the better driver visibility Yes.gif