Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

waxing the bottom

Ok....I am wondering how meticulase I am compared to the rest of you.

I wax my boat fairly often, -exept the bottom.How often do you guys wax the bottom of your hull??

I do it at best 2-3 times a year. After washing and waxing the rest of the boat, the last thing I want to do is crawl around .

When I do wax the bottom, it is a whole separate deal, done in the garage.

Thanks for your thoughts...and by the way I did spell check!

Jeff,

We discussed this a bit over on the old MBO - and the conclusion was not to wax the wetted surface of the hull. I like to wax down below the water line (makes the scum line clean up easier) but having the hull waxed is undesireable for water flow, and is a WOT ;)

Jeff,

We discussed this a bit over on the old MBO - and the conclusion was not to wax the wetted surface of the hull.  I like to wax down below the water line (makes the scum line clean up easier) but having the hull waxed is undesireable for water flow, and is a WOT ;)

0 times per year...

Crazy.gif

Just about as many times as I wax the rest of the boat!

Beer.gif

Polishing it up is okay, but wax actually introduces drag. I've got a buddy that has an in at a boat manufacturer that is local & every year they take their boats over their & get them up on the hoists & polish away on the undersides. Personally I think that's a WOT, but whatever makes you happy. :)

Troy,

That is why I love this site.. It makes me smarter and I don't have to work as hard !!!!!!!!! Crazy.gif

lol - yea I hear ya. I think the reason given was that the water beading properties of the wax messes with surface tension of the water. To get the boat to slide freely through the water, the bare fiberglass is better.

With that said, I'm not sure if it is true or not, but I do agree that few minutes of cruisin speed will remove all your hard work very quickly Biggrin.gif

So save your back..

I agree, it's a waste of time. Do you put tire dressing on the part of the tire that touches the pavement? Spend the extra 2 hours detailing the interior of the boat.

We usually wax it once at the end of the year and maybe once at the beginning. Just makes sense to me... if its paint, it needs a little wax. We can knock it out in about 20 minutes, so I figure its worth that. Maybe it is a WOT.... I'll probably still do it at least once a year.

Wax the boat and trailer 100% once a year. full detail of the inside, twice a year. clean inside, wipe down boat and trailer after every use.

I take care of my things and like for them to look there best. Plus it seems easyer to wipe down and clean.

I find a good Turtle Wax on the bottom every other morning keeps the barnacles away. Remember to always whack the bottom after waxing it to bring out the most vibrant color. :blush:

Waxing the hull of your boat will slow you down though. Don't do it. It has to do with surface tension and small air pockets that help the water release from the hull. Water actually clings to a waxed surface more than one with fine imperfections. You need a "peakyness" to your surface to keep stuff from sticking to it. This "peakyness" is one of the greatest qualities of Teflon ®.

Edited by UWSkier

Ok. I acctually tried this theory last fall. There was no measurable difference in top end speed when comparing a waxed hull and one that hasn't been waxed. It might cut into fuel economy over a long period of time but the difference has got to be insignificant.

I wax my deck and gunnel (side of the boat?) monthly and the hull 2 times per summer.

Just my $0.02

Waxing the hull voids your lifetime warranty, boys. Didn't you read the fine print? Because most people will not/can not wax the hull where it sits on the bunks a Maximum Hullspeed Differentiation is introduced. You have parts of the underside that can not freely go as fast as the other parts, due to no wax/wax. This induces a vibration which causes delamination, eventually leading to hull failure.