Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering removal 2012 vtx

oldjeep

Any idea how to remove the steering wheel center from a 2012 vtx? I expected the cap to just pop off but I applied as much force as I was comfortable with and it didn't come off.

post-22501-0-08217900-1396734698_thumb.j

Edited by oldjeep

+1

Need to get mine off to, for my Zulag. I was tolled just pull, no go eather, or

I'm I just not pulling hard enough...like you oldjeep, think I may break something!!

Well, it does just pry off - there is an o-ring that holds the cap inside the wheel. Couple mods needed to use the Zulag.

1- use the bolts that come with the zulag, the stock ones are too long

2 - the horn button doesn't fit, it hits the shaft/nut. So you either need a 1/4" spacer (and then longer bolts). Or need to gut the button, which is what I'll do

post-22501-0-64740900-1396738248_thumb.j

And it is on. The horn button comes apart and you just have to remove the contacts and then drill a hole big enough in the back of the casing so that the nut will fit through. Just make sure not to cut the entire back out so that the spring still has a place to sit.

post-22501-0-88669900-1396739127_thumb.j

post-22501-0-84800600-1396739128_thumb.j

• Like 1

So just pull really hard! OK,

Post some pics of the zulag on and of the horn button gutting.....lol.....keep me posted thx.

Have you given any thought to putting on a column extension? They come in various lengths.

Have a look at Vettesetters boat house. He has extended his.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/garage/vehicle/14-malibu-vettesetter-z06/?tab=images

My Zulag is sitting in Germany with my cousin, so I wouldn't have it till I

get back from my vacation in Sept. Next winters project.

So I'm Glad your testing the swap out first......

And it is on. The horn button comes apart and you just have to remove the contacts and then drill a hole big enough in the back of the casing so that the nut will fit through. Just make sure not to cut the entire back out so that the spring still has a place to sit.

Very Very nice! Now I can't wait........lol......

your pics are some what fuzzy by the way....

Thx for the info, sounds relatively easy then.

Very Very nice! Now I can't wait........lol......

your pics are some what fuzzy by the way....

Thx for the info, sounds relatively easy then.

Yes, they are a bit fuzzy - cell phone with no flash in a closed garage.

• Like 1

So just pull really hard! OK,

Post some pics of the zulag on and of the horn button gutting.....lol.....keep me posted thx.

Have you given any thought to putting on a column extension? They come in various lengths.

Have a look at Vettesetters boat house. He has extended his.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/garage/vehicle/14-malibu-vettesetter-z06/?tab=images

My Zulag is sitting in Germany with my cousin, so I wouldn't have it till I

get back from my vacation in Sept. Next winters project.

So I'm Glad your testing the swap out first......

">http://

">http://Image1.jpgImage4.jpg

Edited by Vettesetter Z06
  • Like 1

What is the purpose of the steering extension? I'm 6ft and haven't ever wished that a steering wheel was closer to me.

It does a couple of things actually, first it IMO looks way better, adds bling, makes my boat more customized, and allows the seat to be farther back giving more leg room. I need more leg room cause I have a heater and custom sub box down there. :) Plus I could use more room down there cause well ....er .....a....never mind. :blush:

And a buddy of mine's girlfriend smashed her face on a windshield and took fifty stitches......she was scarred for life, needless to say, they don't have a boat anymore. I prefer to be a little farther from the windshield, for safety reasons.

Great pics Vettesetter. You and oldjeep have cool looking helms.

Oldjeep you've got the same dash as mine so this gives me a perfect perspective.

Vettesetter, where did you get that cellphone Bracket? I want one!

It's custom. Not really that hard to do, I just used my old mirror bracket and turned it upside down, then I purchased the best phone cradle I could find ($29) and butchered it so I could bolt it to the bracket.

Image1.jpg

">http://Image.jpg

Image1.jpg

I just wish I could find your center cap. I've been told they were only sold with the wheel directly from Isotta and I haven't found a graphics place that can make anything better than a thin sticker that I don't think would look the same. Edited by Nitrousbird
  • Like 1

Nitrous.

I had Domed Numbers make me up some custom 3D emblems over and above my Reg. Num.

I worked with Andy from Domed in concert with my project, , he was pleasure to deal with, never felt rushed

when he emailed me the proofs back and forth for approval or updates.

Wonder if you did up the graphics and contacted Andy, he would be able to give you an insite to wether he

could replicated in 3D, I'd surely be interested in one. Im not sure but I think its a polyurethane type rubber.

• 1 year later...

I knew that was part of the reason they switched. Glad to hear it from someone that tried it. It's such a sweet looking wheel. I do agree, the thin 6 spoker is way better IMO than the single spoke.