Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trading a Boat

scott51580

I suspect the dealer is just trying to essentially "presell" your boat so that he won't have capital tied in used inventory. Most dealers don't have a sufficient line to stock both new and used boats. You got what you were looking for on trade (including the tax difference) and what the dealer attempts to market it for is of no consequence to you. It's spring time and there is going to be more exposure of your boat on the lot at this time. The problem is the reasoning and your alternatives weren't fully explained to you. I'd bet if you had gone into the deal and said that you wanted to use your boat for two or three months until the new one came in, the trade value given would have been significantly less (the dealer would know that he would essentially have to tie up capital in used inventory when the best selling season has past) and there would be a bunch of subject to this and that on your agreement. I don't think the dealer is screwing you - just guilty of poor communication and you didn't discuss it with them at the time.

I do this every year with my dealer - but I live in Alberta where I don't use my boat from October through until May so I could care less if it is safe and sound at the dealer while he is trying to presell it prior to my new boat arriving in the spring. I know for sure that if I didn't bring the prior year boat in until the new one was ready to go I would get less $$$ for it on trade. I've been fortunate (as has my dealer) that the old one has always presold prior to the lake unthawing. It just sucks that you are missing out on some boat time. If you moved far enough north you wouldn't have that problem. :)

Edited by Fly

here is what happened when we got our new boat ,(note it was janurary) the dealer gave us a quote on the boat and wanted our boat so they could try to sell it before spring they dont like sitting on that much money they want to move your produc t before your new boat arrives thats why we did our deal in winter so i would have a boat for spring.

here is what happened when we got our new boat ,(note it was janurary) the dealer gave us a quote on the boat and wanted our boat so they could try to sell it before spring they dont like sitting on that much money they want to move your produc t before your new boat arrives thats why we did our deal in winter so i would have a boat for spring.

Thanks for rubbing it in cowboy!

This deal of getting your $5000 down payment AND posession of your boat seems very odd. But if that is what you agreed to, then you should stick with your end of the bargain.

I don't think the dealer is making you a fair arrangement. If it was my boat, I would want to use it until my new one came in. If my trade in was not in the same condition at the time of the trade, then the dealer would have a fair reason to not give the trade amount agreed upon. I did give a 10% deposit when my boat was ordered. I think that is fair for the dealer for a special order boat that he does not want to get stuck with.

Edited by BillFooter

The bottom line is that this guy is a repeat bu buyer laying down the cash for a new bu.

Do ya think there's a dealer out there that would make sure this guy doesn't miss any water time?

The bottom line is that this guy is a repeat bu buyer laying down the cash for a new bu.

Do ya think there's a dealer out there that would make sure this guy doesn't miss any water time?

Absolutely. However this should have been arranged at the time of the deal.

Here's a suggestion: If your dealer isn't open for business on Sunday for example, talk to him and see if he is agreeable to you picking up your boat on a Saturday afternoon so you can use it on Sunday and drop it back to his lot on Monday. Don't know if this would work for you but I don't think your dealer would have a big problem with it.

Here's what I did when I sold my first boat and had my second on order. I took the boat to the dealer and had them take a picture of it. They advertised it and anytime someone wanted to see it, we arranged a time and I brought it in for them to see it. I still had the use of it but I agreed that if someone wanted to buy it, I would sell it at that point. I ordered the new boat in July and ended up selling the old boat in late August. Even though I didn't get my new one until November, at least I had another month of use during the best part of summer.

Dealer gave him a number for the boat, and told him XY and Z. Guy agrees. Later guy wonders why. I'd say if he didn't like the deal up front , then he shouldn't have made it. I'd bet the # the dealer gave him then, was bigger than it would be now, and with the small dwn pmt, it made it work for the dealer.

Sounds like a lesson learned for future- at least make him buy your boat up front next time. This sounds more like a brokerage deal than a trade in. Hope the price on the new boat made it all worth it.