Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 VLX vs 2013 LSV

roachman

Hi everyone I am new to the site and looking to get into my first malibu. I have been looking at used for the last 4 months and everything around me is trashed and not to my standards or in the 55K-60K range. So I think I have decide to go new. What do you guys recommend? We are a family of 6 and do everything from wakeboarding, surfing to sky skiing. I have owned a Tige for 5 yrs and then a Moomba for 5 years and have been boatless the last 3 years with new babies. I can get both for about the same price. The LSV has some hours on it. I am probably leaning to that but worried about towing. Both have the same options. thoughts?

Edited by roachman

My immediate response would be the LSV. But, your concern with towing may be legit depending on your vehicle. What would you pull it with? I am sure guys on here can give you some honest feedback.

I have a '13 LSV and used a 2010 Ford F-150 (Triton 5.4). Didn't love how it towed to be honest. I just changed to a '13 Ram with Hemi and 8 speed and hardly feel it back there. It's a heavy boat, I will agree.

I have a Nissan frontier and towing capacity is 6300. Then I have an LR3 and it is rated for 7700. Storage to launch is about a mile so not too far. I can't find the total weight with trailer for the LSV, I just see the 4500 for boat.

If you are not worried about gas consumption, I'd go with the LSV. I prefer the LSV wake, but you have to slam that boat. The LSV just has a lot of surface area.

If you are hesitant to run a bunch of weight, the VLX has a better wake.

With 6 in your family LSV all day. More than likely 6 will be your minimum, plus other friends your kids will be bringing. On the 2013 LSV its only 400 lbs more than a 2013 VLX. In 2014 the LSV jumped up another 400 lbs.

My '13 VLX with trailer and gas in the tank weights right about 5900lbs. Now you add family of 6 into the tow vehicle and some gear, the Nissan is going to be past its rating for both boats. The LR3 will be within rating, but I'm not sure what real world towing will be like.

Edited by Cory

I agree. 6-7 is about the comfort level in a vlx, any more and it starts to get crowded. Any more than 8 and we have a beach camp. I have been extremely happy with the performance of the VLX though. I also find it manageable behind a 2005 Tundra which is rated at 7000lbs. The shorter wheel base of your two rigs will make them less than desirable for either, especially the LSV, IMO. For the 1 mile trip, its doable. Any longer, I would consider other options. Especially with a crew of 6.

I have also had large crews of up to 12 on the VLX, everyone had a seat but it was a full boat (mix of kids and adults). We had all boards up on the racks, boat had all seats and floor space available. I would have no problem doing it again, but at this point the LSV would have been much better. I put the VLX seating (comfortably) at 7-8 full size adults. Its actually a pretty well laid out space for a 21'6" boat.

Edited by Fman

Great info thanks. We test drove the LSV today. As mentioned a little slower getting out of the hole, but surf wave looked fantastic. I think that is what the family is leaning towards it was their favorite. I did not pull trigger today but after talking about it all day, we might get a deal in tues. More to follow. Thanks

Edited by roachman

If you have not read on this awesome site already, a new prop will fix the "a little slower getting out of the hole" issue. I listened to the pros on here, took their advice and have been very very pleased. Not thread-jacking, but a 2315 prop will completely change the torque of your new boat.

Congrats on the purchase!! Look forward to the pics!

great choice!! We purchased a 2012 VLX and then had to upgrade to a 2013 LSV since the VLX was to small for our family of 5 plus friends. I did get the LS3 motor and it does everything asked and then more!

I think you will very happy with your LSV. Note...I actually switched from a 2012 Nissan Armada (9800lbs towing) ... which was awesome and didn't even feel the boat to a 2013 Ford Explorer (SPORT w/ turbo, etc.). It only has 5000 lbs towing capacity but tows my LSV like a dream...ramp, highway, hills are NO problem. I credit this to the sport edition with over sized brakes and larger turbo engine.

Have a great summer!!

Took her out Fri and Sat. Only had a couple of issues, some more pricey then others. First she was a hoss, but got her in and out of water ok. On our first outing I was filling up ballast to surf, forgot one of the new wakesurfers was in the back, so by the time I realized it, it was already too late and cracked it, still in shrink wrap and all. Brought a tear to my eye. So I pulled it out and decided to not let it get me down. Then preceeded to test surf wake and wakeboard wake, and the boat would not get on plain, realized the bilge pump was pumping so putted back to dock to trailer and see what was going on. Turns out my left plug and play had popped off and filled the boat with unwanted water, and during my intial inspection I did not see any water under sack. Got the boat drained and re-attached the sack which must be faulty because it did pop off again. Finally got everything under control and was able to enjoy my day. All and all besides the 500 mistake I love my malibu. Compared to my last too boats she crushes other boat's rollers. There was another Wakesetter pulling a tube tearing up the water. Now my kids like to tube also but I do not go to the one calm area of the lake and start doing figure 8's. I cant wait for next weekend.

surf2.jpg

Edited by roachman