Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Led Light Bars

Kj20203

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the LED light bars on their boats? I am thinking about adding one for night time driving, but not quite sure about it. Anyone have experience with it? Or, a particular brand that was better?

Thanks,

The LED light bars I'm seeing in the 4WD world are good for driving at speed, projecting 100' or more ahead of the vehicle. In many states, running more than 5 mph after dark is illegal. Seems kinda overkill to me.

In Texas it is illegal to tow skier/tuber/wake boarder 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise.

Also,(in Texas) you can only motor with green/red light on bow and white light off back. Light your boat up like Sig Hansen and you run the chance/risk of meeting the Game Warden.

• Like 2

Other than your longer summers and warmer lakes, boating in the states sounds brutal (crowded with lots of rules). I've surfed many times after dark, even well past midnight. Maybe it's illegal, don't know, but I can tell you I don't really care as there's no one that's going to do anything about it. Certainly not the water police at that time - they've gone in well before then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also,(in Texas) you can only motor with green/red light on bow and white light off back. Light your boat up like Sig Hansen and you run the chance/risk of meeting the Game Warden.

So what do barge operators do on the waterways at night? I'm guessing you can have a spot light or two to assist with finding navigation markers. They have reflectors on them for a reason.

...after dark, even well past midnight.

In the summer in Canada, aren't those the same thing?

Other than your longer summers and warmer lakes, boating in the states sounds brutal (crowded with lots of rules). I've surfed many times after dark, even well past midnight. Maybe it's illegal, don't know, but I can tell you I don't really care as there's no one that's going to do anything about it. Certainly not the water police at that time - they've gone in well before then.

Twice we've seen the cops come out & sit & wait at the ramp until someone came in from their midnight run. Once in Spokane & once on Sammamish. They don't usually have to wait long.

-

Bill

Twice we've seen the cops come out & sit & wait at the ramp until someone came in from their midnight run. Once in Spokane & once on Sammamish. They don't usually have to wait long.

-

Bill

We don't even bother pushing the rules over here. Just not worth it. The cops will find any excuse to ticket anyone in a wake boat 'round these parts, It's unfortunate but you gotta pay the price for all the losers who pushed it too far. I haven't even bothered to put underwater LEDs on the vRide because I know we'd rarely use them for this reason.

Edited by rennis
martinarcher

I run Rigid LED's on the front of my Excursion and I can say they are amazing.

http://www.rigidindustries.com/

That said, I've also seen fishing boats blasting some major light cruising across our lake when I boat at night. It is absolutely terrible to drive against. You can't see anything but that boat's lights. I end up stopping and floating until they are by me. It is not safe at all. Your eyes are adjusted for the dark and you can see all nav lights on the lake as well as a faint outline of the shore and then captain sunlight some cruising at you.....bad news. I can also say I've seen those dudes issued tickets at night since it is not legal. Now if your the only one out and are falling onto a surfboard in a remote location.....let the light fly. :)

• Like 3

4th July last year on Canyon Lake, I needed to " Light your boat up like Sig Hansen" cuz the Game Warden almost met me by hitting me. Saw the boat coming (and this was the second incidence of a boat coming right at me and not seeing me) shined a spotlight at them, and saw it was the popo....

Adding light will kill your night vision and you will only be able to see directly in front of you where the light is. Great for docking or loading at night. Terrible for driving. Not sure of legal issues with it in Texas. Like others have said too it will blind anyone around you as well.

Adding light will kill your night vision and you will only be able to see directly in front of you where the light is. Great for docking or loading at night. Terrible for driving. Not sure of legal issues with it in Texas. Like others have said too it will blind anyone around you as well.

Which explains why it is illegal when not docking in many states...if you're never encountered this, then count yourself lucky. A total PITA when navigating back to the dock to have some genius lighting up EVERYTHING, blinding all others nearby in the process. :rant:

I wouldn't count on it, 2012 and 2013 I saw probably quadruple the amount of RCMP on the water on the shuswap, specially around Mara/Sicamous. We got pulled over for using a handheld spotlight to find a board that fell out of the racks on the way back, $175 fine for "disruptive operation of a water craft"

I was there for 4 weeks last summer. Night surfed at least a dozen times. Not stopped once.

What are the rules or laws in Texas about the LEDS inside the boat and the rings on tower speakers? Are they allowed while moving or just while sitting?