Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New VTX or Two Used Boats - What Would You Do?

LGSkier

My wife and i are really torn on this one. And we could use some advice.

Coming out of Jef Boat we use for Slalom (6" Wake)

I am in the 50+ Age Bracket, my bride is a little younger.

We Ski Every day. (15' Off Recreational Only)

Do not Really Wakeboard at all.

Just getting into surfing with our friends and love it. (Generally 4 of us at most at one time, wife is goofy, I am not :) ) .

Live on the waterfront with docks for 3 boats.

We are a purchase contract away from a leftover 2013 VTX with all bells and whistles including the SurfGate. And we did demo it.

Problem is I have watching all you guys for a few months now and it seems like you compromise a little bit with the VTX in both categories? (or Maybe not based on my usage pattern?).

The VTX is about $75K after is is all said and done.

A not too old used response and 23lsv can be had for less money than that.

Owning 2 boats is a little more of PIA for sure, but i don't want to be worry we compromised.

Is the 75K including sales tax? If not, I'd expect it to be a bit lower than that considering the boat show prices on the 2014's

No surfgate, but this leftover is 57K - no tower which is likely why the price is so low

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=42371

70K for these leftovers, which do have the surfgate

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=41807

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=41806

I had an answer for you and now I'm stumped too.

If you have the room and storage for two boats I don't think it can be beat. You could even have proper plumbed in ballast on the LSV so switching sides won't be an issue.

Will you really only ever have 4 people on the boat? If you want to entertain larger groups >7. The LSV is going to be a dream. It's also going to surf better and the response will ski better.

I love the VTX and will vouch that it is the best all-around boat on the market. I don't believe there is another boat as versatile as this. That being said, two boats is a different story.

Depreciation on a new VTX will be more than on two individuals I imagine. Do you need two lifts, does your insurance double etc etc.

• Like 2

Certainly the response is a better ski boat and the lsv is a better surf boat, but we take our vtx into the course all the time, so if you're just free skiing recreationally at 15 off, see it being just fine for you. With respect to surfing, if you have nothing but time and don't mind having fat sacs all over your boat, the lsv is the way to go. That said, if you don't need the biggest and baddest listed wave, and you'd prefer the convenience of SG and being able to switch sides at the press of the button, the vtx is the way to go. My dream set up is an lsv with SG or G series nautique with NSS and a response or ski nautique - best of all worlds. My guess is the vtx will be all you could want unless you really get into surfing hard core.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll add I think you can make this decision strictly on whether or not you would be fine having two boats. I believe the VTX is good enough at both sports that you won't feel like you compromised too much. If are fine with two boats, go for it, if you want to stick with one, get the VTX and don't look back, the more you use it the better the wakes get.

And can I just mention how awesome it is that the question of 2 boats vs one for skiing and surfing is even one of a good debate? Think back 10-15 years and this thread would have been over after one post "two boats"

I know. I feel a little decadent Just posting the two boat thing. And it is a good observation on the lifts, insurance. Lifts run about $9K for each, but I suppose I could one the mooring. Insurance is a non issue, it only runs me about $350/Year. (Age has it its benefits).

Thanks for the observation on the cost as well. The boat we were looking at is actually about $70K, but I need to get it delivered etc. So it adds to the cost.

Hey, one other question if you guys don't mind. We would keep a VTX in out boathouse, but the tower would need to come down to get it in. Is that tough to do? Respnse does not have the issue obviously.

Hey, one other question if you guys don't mind. We would keep a VTX in out boathouse, but the tower would need to come down to get it in. Is that tough to do? Respnse does not have the issue obviously.

you unscrew 2 knobs. Super easy

I vote vtx. U want 2 boats to insure,pay taxes on, service,maintain, fuel, 8 tires, and store as well as the problems that come with a used boat? Oh wait we need to go back and get the other boat so we can surf. I wanna ski. Well I wanna surf. 2 boats = pia. Ask me how I know?

I vote vtx. U want 2 boats to insure,pay taxes on, service,maintain, fuel, 8 tires, and store as well as the problems that come with a used boat? Oh wait we need to go back and get the other boat so we can surf. I wanna ski. Well I wanna surf. 2 boats = pia. Ask me how I know?

Sounds like you have been down that road. Solid advice.

Badluck, I am looking at the diamond hull.

You did not say if the VTX was on a wake or diamond hull. If it's on the wake hull you will be disappointed with the ski wake. If it's on a diamond hull it's a tough call. A single boat is cheaper to maintain and insure but with 2 boats you are in a no compromise situation.

If you have space I would go with 2 boats.

You did not say if the VTX was on a wake or diamond hull. If it's on the wake hull you will be disappointed with the ski wake. If it's on a diamond hull it's a tough call. A single boat is cheaper to maintain and insure but with 2 boats you are in a no compromise situation.

If you have space I would go with 2 boats.

The VTX has the diamond hull.

I'd go with the two different boats. That way you have the best of both worlds and not have to settle for a crossover. If you have the dock space and don't mind the extra maintenance, buy a Response and an LSV.

You are a rec skier - the VTX will be fine for your uses. Hell, a VLX on a diamond hull would probably be fine for you.

Now I feel like I need to take lessons. ;)

LG, I had a late model VTX and thought it did everything OK, but nothing great. If you don't mind maintaining 2 boats, I would go that direction. Especially since you ski every day so at some level you are probably a wake snob. And that 23 will provide you with a killer surf wave when dialed in!!!

Good luck with your decision.

• Like 3

LG, I had a late model VTX and thought it did everything OK, but nothing great. If you don't mind maintaining 2 boats, I would go that direction. Especially since you ski every day so at some level you are probably a wake snob. And that 23 will provide you with a killer surf wave when dialed in!!!

Good luck with your decision.

Too funny. My wife is actually the wake snob. Needs it to glass as well.

We tried the Sport 200 from Nautique. That was awful for recreational Slalom. You needed to be inside the rooster at better than 32mph. Long line and you got launched. So do you think that a 05 Response is going to have it all over a VTX at 32?

The VTX is like the 200 in that it needs speed to clean up the wake. Coming from our 99 Response, my wife hated the VTX wake since she likes long line at 29-30 mph. Personally, I think the Response is going to be much better at 32 than the VTX. At 34+ the VTX gets much better.