Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is VLX a good surf boat?

Smeltz

Afun, this is not about me. Surfing is not my #1 priority, but if it was, I sure as heck would not feel like I was settling in order to have a much better surf wave! The Op asked how the VLX surfed or if there was a better option out there. If the #1 goal is to have a boat to surf behind for under 40K, then a Malibu is most likely not the best choice. Had the OP asked about throttle feel, handling, versatility and surfing then I would have a different answer for him.

I think it is funny how people talk up the fit and finish differences between these inboard wake boats like there is some huge delta. (NOT!) Same running gear, engines, wiring, carpet, and for the most part vinyl quality. Go on the Centurion forum and read how they bash other brands for "fit and finish".

I hear you Tims. Based on the OP's post, I understand where you are coming from. It would very hard to pick that boat just because of a wave. Below is just an example of a VLX for sale. Just so much better looking.....IMO

https://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=41852

I've never driven an avy but I don't think they look terrible. I have seen some video of some pretty decent waves behind em. I've read good things about their potential as a surf boat too.

This one looks nice: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/4389359654.html

This one too:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/4394803545.html

I hear you Tims. Based on the OP's post, I understand where you are coming from. It would very hard to pick that boat just because of a wave. Below is just an example of a VLX for sale. Just so much better looking.....IMOhttps://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=41852

Cause your not at that level yet. Once you get there you will understand it.

Cause your not at that level yet. Once you get there you will understand it.

So you would also recommend a Centurion to the OP over a VLX in the 40k range!

I would love to try some different manufactures. All I have ridden behind are malibus and a mastercraft.

I should start slutting around the boat ramp... :whistle:

Let's show the guy some vlx waves so he can make up his mind

4837103B-7B8D-4724-9428-E023D78EDF2F_zps

It's not a 40 k boat but it is a vlx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks really nice, what ballast are you running? Is this a Surfgate wake?

Let's show the guy some vlx waves so he can make up his mind

4837103B-7B8D-4724-9428-E023D78EDF2F_zps

It's not a 40 k boat but it is a vlx

Aussie..Aussie..Aussie! Beautiful wave!

Provide ample photos and / or other empirically verifiable justification to support this claim.

Can't you tell he is being sarcastic...VLX Rocks!

That looks really nice, what ballast are you running? Is this a Surfgate wake?

Hey Fman that is the ballast set up all you guys helped me put together recently THANKS HEAPS

Surf gate yes

Full mls

2 x 750 piggy backs in rear

1000 bow sack up front 3/4 full

Wedge up 2 clicks

1 1/2 crew

17 kmh =

Happy Days

Cheers

Hey Fman that is the ballast set up all you guys helped me put together recently THANKS HEAPS

Surf gate yes

Full mls

2 x 750 piggy backs in rear

1000 bow sack up front 3/4 full

Wedge up 2 clicks

1 1/2 crew

17 kmh =

Happy Days

Cheers

I can hardly wait to get out Monday! I swear that bow weight is a huge help in the VLX.... what a difference that makes... LOL, 17 kmh? What does that equal is MPH?

I can hardly wait to get out Monday! I swear that bow weight is a huge help in the VLX.... what a difference that makes... LOL, 17 kmh? What does that equal is MPH?

10.56 mph

I am starting to get the hang of your speeds and weights ours are in

Kph and kilos

Cheers

Definitely, I have an 08 VLX and the surf wave is great if weighted properly and an 08 should be at the top end of your price range. I have a couple of buddies with Centurions and they do not compare to a VLX.

Edited by Chappy

Just sold my 06 VLX in Vernon, BC for $32k. It had 970hrs and some of the darker upholstery was getting nasty but it ran great. Sold it to my cousin so normally I would have listed it for $35.