Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is VLX a good surf boat?

Smeltz

I was wondering how good a VLX is for a surf boat? I ride goofy and my girl rides reg. I know that the LSV is one of the best in the fleet but don't have 50,000. My price range is around 37,000 40,000 at the max. Also how many ballasts do they come with? And are they only a 21 foot boat? Or what would you recommend for a surf boat. Please help. Thx smeltz

Edited by Smeltz

Based on your modified post and budget I would recommend an 04+ 23LSV or an 05+ VLX. The VLX is actually 21.5' but bigger is better and you should be able to find a good 04-05 23LSV in that range. JMO

Are you just wanting to surf? If so, you should consider a "deep v" brand. (Centurion, MB,) If you want to ski and wakeboard equally, then the VLX is a great choice.

Have you driven a Centurion?

Have you driven a Centurion?

Yup. GW sold them for year, and we sacked out a 23ft enzo. Probably the best wave I have ever surfed behind a boat.

Edited by Tims

Yup. GW sold them for year, and we sacked out a 23ft enzo. Probably the best wave I have ever surfed behind a boat.

I have lots of time in and behind Centurions. Surf wave unbeatable; fit and finish a different story, although the last couple years they have really improved.

Edited by Brodie

Yeah, I was told that about GW. I wonder what happened. Bottom line, I think you have to pick the boat and the wave it produces together. The Malibu is a dream to drive, and it dishes out a great wave. I am going to surf behind a 24ft Enzo this year with my buddy. I will let you know what happens. I think with all of the Surf Technology coming out, the Deep V is going to have minimal influence.

Yeah, I was told that about GW. I wonder what happened. Bottom line, I think you have to pick the boat and the wave it produces together. The Malibu is a dream to drive, and it dishes out a great wave. I am going to surf behind a 24ft Enzo this year with my buddy. I will let you know what happens. I think with all of the Surf Technology coming out, the Deep V is going to have minimal influence.

Like I said. If you want a "do everything well" boat. It is really hard to beat the VLX. But for a family that just wants to surf and their budget is $40K max, I don't think that a Malibu is their best option. The deep V boats take less weight to produce a good wave and the pocket is really long compared to the shallow v bottom style hulls.

• Like 3

Like I said. If you want a "do everything well" boat. It is really hard to beat the VLX. But for a family that just wants to surf and their budget is $40K max, I don't think that a Malibu is their best option. The deep V boats take less weight to produce a good wave and the pocket is really long compared to the shallow v bottom style hulls.

Next question....have you seen the type of Centurion you get for $40k? You get an Avalanche, Elite, Air Warrior, etc... IMO, for $40k I will stick with Malibu. Not too many of those other boats around. Stick with something that works. Not saying those Centurions don't work, but they are just rare. I would also consider an older Supra, Nautique, etc....I just don't know what $40k will get you with those other boats. Haven't looked yet.

Just my opinion, not trying to start it up, lol

Edited by Afun

Just getting into surfing, but have a buddy who does it often, and loves going behind our VLX. It has the Malibu Launch System (MLS) which I believe is an option, because it doesn't seem like everyone else has it. It includes the front and mid tanks. We have the Power Wedge, which we use for wakeboarding, and not surfing (probably just preference). I too ride goofy, but most of our group rides regular, and the switch isn't too bad.

If you mention where you are located, I'm sure you'll start getting links to boats the "crew" has found in your area.

Next question....have you seen the type of Centurion you get for $40k? You get an Avalanche, Elite, Air Warrior, etc... IMO, for $40k I will stick with Malibu. Not too many of those other boats around. Stick with something that works. Not saying those Centurions don't work, but they are just rare. I would also consider an older Supra, Nautique, etc....I just don't know what $40k will get you with those other boats. Haven't looked yet.

Just my opinion, not trying to start it up, lol

Found this boat in 2 minutes. Bet you they would take $40K cash.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008-Centurion-Enzo-SV230-102063859

Not going to comment on what boat to get but IF your looking malibu to clarify ballast setups

a wakesetter (VTX, VLX, 23LSV) comes stock with two rear tanks (200# each) and one centre tank (500#). A bow tank (350#) is optional. I recommend one with all 4.

Power wedge vs manual wedge is debatable so decide for yourself. Manual wedge changed from a fixed (locks down) to a free floating around 2007. The manual fixed is less desirable than the other two. As I said, read many threads and choose for yourself.

You CAN surf with stock ballast, but your fun won't last long. You'll likely want a 750# bag to be satisfied for a while. 2 if you don't want to move one from side to side.

Hey thx . I guess I should of put in my comment that I live in Canada about 250 miles from Vancouver. I would ship the boat if the price is right hope to find one in Canada make things easer and are dollar suck right know to the USA dollar.

Are you just wanting to surf? If so, you should consider a "deep v" brand. (Centurion, MB,) If you want to ski and wakeboard equally, then the VLX is a great choice.

supreme or tige too (gasp). To some degree the deeper the v the better the surf wake and the worse the wakeboard wake. But if wakeboard wake is immaterial, and we are only talking about the experience behind the boat, there are boats with a better wave than the vlx, sure.

Compared to a VLX, you would settle for this boat? Just the way the throttle feels on a Malibu would be a huge benefit. I just don't know about those older Centurions.

Afun, this is not about me. Surfing is not my #1 priority, but if it was, I sure as heck would not feel like I was settling in order to have a much better surf wave! The Op asked how the VLX surfed or if there was a better option out there. If the #1 goal is to have a boat to surf behind for under 40K, then a Malibu is most likely not the best choice. Had the OP asked about throttle feel, handling, versatility and surfing then I would have a different answer for him.

I think it is funny how people talk up the fit and finish differences between these inboard wake boats like there is some huge delta. (NOT!) Same running gear, engines, wiring, carpet, and for the most part vinyl quality. Go on the Centurion forum and read how they bash other brands for "fit and finish".

• Like 3