Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying an Expedition....good or bad idea?

That Guy

Kinda disgusted Ford doesn't put the Ecoboost in them and a decent 10k capacity trailer package.

Later this year. but I think its in the 9k + trailer package.

I'm on my second Expedition. This years is a El (2013) love all the extra room, not loving the gas mileage-13 in town.

Make sure your new rig has the tow package. The last one didn't. Big pia to have a factory wiring harness installed (we think it was a fleet rig)

BiL is ford sales guy and has heard that the 2015 will have the EcoBoost and will have a re-designed interior base on the f-150's.

I think you'll like the Expedition. My wife and I had one for a few years. Ours was a 2008 and it had the 5.4. If it's got perelli scorpions, get rid of them. They're garbage. All Expeditions I've ever seen tend to rust on the gate above the license plate. Be sure to keep that area clean and look for bubbles back there. The lift gate doesn't drain as well as it should. The only reason we ditched ours is that we were able to make money on it and the wife was sick of driving it. She's petite and driving and parking the Expedition EL was difficult for her.

We had zero issues towing our '97 SSLX with the Expedition. It did well. There's plenty of power. As others have said, just confirm the tow package and you'll be fine if you're towing what you plan to tow.

Also, Ford will have an ecoboost available in the next Expedition. I'm interested to see how it performs in that vehicle.

Welp.....on to the next one. :( Didn't even get a chance to tow with it because I ran it by my mechanics shop prior to doing so and it needs around $2000 worth of repairs and the dealer isn't willing to budge at all. Some serious repairs for a 4 year old truck with 60k on it and my wife doesn't want to buy it now. So.....we stopped by the local ford dealer on the way home because she's been liking the F-150's....drove one and now that's all she wants. 2014 F-150, crew cab, 4wd, 5.0L V8 with the STX sport package and tow package rated for 9200lbs we got them down to a hair over $32k. Few thousand more but its brand new. We're sleeping on it today and will make a decision tomorrow. Thanks for all the input on the expedition, I liked it A LOT, but $30k for a 4 year old example w/ 60k+ miles and needing a couple grand worth of work may be too much for me.

F-150 all the way over the Expedition. For the life of me I can't understand why Ford hasn't updated the Expedition. Those large SUVs are huge money makers for GM.

Your price on the STX isn't too bad, but there's a little meat on that bone yet. $31k should be attainable depending on options unless you were in clouding TTL, then it's a great price.

These were the glaring issues with the expedition...

Left front axle was leaking

Right rear strut was blown

Blower motor whine/squealed on higher settings

Both front calipers were seized and had messed up the pads/rotors....wheels wouldn't even spin off the ground.

Probably was going to need at least 2 tires before next winter

Paint was bubbling along bottom inside edge of the tailgate

Poor quality repairs on rear gate/bumper/right quarter....like dirt in the paint.

As for the F150/dog, we figured we would do the same and possibly look at a tonneau cover or cap in the future for winter use or long trips.

Here's a couple of the F-150's we're looking at....

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tab=summary&recnum=&actLog=&listingId=602256896&paId=602256896&listingRecNum=11&criteria=feedSegId%3d28705%26rpp%3d100%26trId%3d25071%26trId%3d35003%26trId%3d23765%26isDealerGrouping%3dfalse%26sf2Nm%3dlocation%26requestorTrackingInfo%3dRTB_SEARCH%26yrId%3d51683%26sf1Nm%3dprice%26sf2Dir%3dASC%26stkTypId%3d28880%26PMmt%3d1-1-3%26rn%3d0%26zc%3d43209%26rd%3d250%26crSrtFlds%3dstkTypId-feedSegId-bsId-mkId-mdId%26bsId%3d20218%26mdId%3d21095%26stkTyp%3dN%26mkId%3d20015%26alMdId%3d21095%26sf1Dir%3dASC&tracktype=newcc&pageNumber=&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE&certifiedOnly=false&

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=newcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=602170625&listingRecNum=3&criteria=feedSegId%3D28705%26rpp%3D100%26trId%3D25071%26trId%3D35003%26trId%3D23765%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26sf2Nm%3Dlocation%26requestorTrackingInfo%3DRTB_SEARCH%26yrId%3D51683%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26stkTypId%3D28880%26PMmt%3D1-1-3%26rn%3D0%26zc%3D43209%26rd%3D250%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-bsId-mkId-mdId%26bsId%3D20218%26mdId%3D21095%26stkTyp%3DN%26mkId%3D20015%26alMdId%3D21095%26sf1Dir%3DASC&aff=national&listType=1

What's the difference between an stx and xlt? You can get an ecoboost screw xlt for around 32.5k here. The 5.0 was closer to 30k when I was looking. Obviously it will depend on what rebates you qualify for.

XLT is all chrome ugly stuff (bumpers/grill/handles/stepbars) and 18" wheels and different interior color/seat patterns and bench seat. We like the STX as it is painted bumpers/black grill/accents, 20" wheels and black captain chairs w/ nice center console/nicer pattern on the seats. I also do not want the ecoboost so I'm ok saving a couple grand on the 5.0L. Additionally it seems the STX in our area is cheaper than an XLT.

Edited by That Guy

Figured I would update this thread as we purchased a new F-150 yesterday. Loving it so far and can't wait to get the boat out!

And since I can't figure out how to post the picture in here, here's a link....<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/79369388@N05/13768179934/player/" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for all the info guys.

Edited by That Guy

We had an 04 Expy. Drove nice, quiet, great brakes. It had the 5.4 (2V) and was weak. After about 80k miles, it had enough rust that I was afraid it was going to fall apart, literally. Did pick up the Malibu in Ill and drove it back to Mass, did great. The other thing was the interior didn't hold up. the leather seats cracked and discolored by 50k. My first and probably last Ford.

We had an 04 Expy. Drove nice, quiet, great brakes. It had the 5.4 (2V) and was weak. After about 80k miles, it had enough rust that I was afraid it was going to fall apart, literally. Did pick up the Malibu in Ill and drove it back to Mass, did great. The other thing was the interior didn't hold up. the leather seats cracked and discolored by 50k. My first and probably last Ford.

Odd. Even here in WI mine went 170k with only the typical tailgate rust and lower body plastic fading. Leather, dash, everything was fine. Would have gone that many again probably if it hadn't been forcibly shortened in a head on.

I sold my 02 in 2012 120K . It's still going and look good. In Mich that kinda surprising. It was a very good truck. I will be looking at another new one maybe two years down the road. The new owner even plows snow with it. I would not think it would make a good plow vehicle but its not mine.

Yeah, I was surprised too. The rockers were toast, the rear gate had the aluminum corrosion they all do, but the thing that put me over the edge was the front frame and front clip supports. They were wasted away to about nothing, very little left holding the front of the truck together. I pressure washed up under the area and ended up with a big pile of rusty chunks, and I mean a pound or two. The trailer hitch was looking pretty rough up underneath as well.

The engine also had developed the tick which I was told was only a lifter by the dealership but a mechanic friend said it was most likely a cam tensioner or variable timing doo-dad. I didn't think that truck had anything that advanced, but I don't know. The ticking was constant and annoying.

The rear seals in the differential at the axles were changed twice, and leaking once more.

As I already stated, the front seats were coming apart (I don't know if they still do it, but at the time Ford's leather seating was seating surfaces only, not the surrounding material, that's vinyl) the edges were cracking and the leather was de-coloring and cracking. And I condition the seats two to three times a year.

I had already done one rear wheel bearing and am I sure the other was probably on its way out.

I replaced all the plug coils and plugs at 50k due to the 2200 rpm stutter, which solved the problem, but they were acting up again.

And finally, the truck needed tires. That has nothing to do with Ford, but it was a big expense I wasn't ready to dump into this thing. So it went. I know people with Fords that love them, but this was my only experience with one and it was very sour. On the other hand, I just bought back my dad's old '96 Ram. 225k on the clock and still going strong. But they are an unreliable vehicle from what I'm told.

Like anything you can get a good one or a bad one. I have owned Fords my whole life and only had one that was less the good. I may have been less the good to it. :biggrin: I beat the #ell out of it. I have only needed to have one towed. So I am a happy ford guy.