Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying an Expedition....good or bad idea?

That Guy

EDIT...Changing the thread title, lol.

So we were going to check out a Tahoe Z71 but found out it doesn't have the HD trailering package so found a 2010 Expedition we like and pending a good tow tomorrow with the boat we should be buying it.

Anything to look for? Any reason not to buy an expedition to tow our boat? Anything else you'd recommend for under $30k?

Thanks!!

Edited by That Guy

Not sure that it is the exact same engine but in the recent boating mag towing insert, it claims that a tahoe with the 5.3v8 and a 3.08 axle ratio has a towing rating of 5600 in 2wd and 5200 in 4wd.

I seriously doubt you'd be happy with that Tahoe & the 3.08s. If possible, you could do a test drive & bring the boat along (done that myself). Take it up a pretty steep hill at freeway speeds & see how it does.

A gear swap will probably cost at least $1000 - $1500 for each axle.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 3

Was a 3.73 rear axle available in 2011? I seem to recall that 3.08 was standard with the option of getting 3.42. Maybe the 6 speed transmission really does make a significant difference in towing. :dontknow:

We have a 2008 Tahoe (5.3L, 4 speed, 3.73 rear end) and it's an adequate tow vehicle, but struggles on long uphill grades. Original transmission did not last 75,000 miles.

Yeah, that is my main concern. We also tow a travel trailer that is around 6000lbs. Guess toss that one out as well.

GRRR, car shopping is for the birds.

Any recommendations on tow vehicles under $30k?

The six speed transmission in the tahoe will not help you over the four speed, the top two gears being more overdrive gears, you will be laboring along in 3rd and 4th.

Not sure that it is the exact same engine but in the recent boating mag towing insert, it claims that a tahoe with the 5.3v8 and a 3.08 axle ratio has a towing rating of 5600 in 2wd and 5200 in 4wd.

Towing capacity for a 2011 4wd tahoe is ~8500 lbs, per Chevrolet. A Yukon Denali with the 6.0/6.2L (depending on model year) might be a better option, powerwise.

Here is the GMC towing chart, the Yukon(non-XL) specs should be the same as the tahoe specs:

http://www.gmc.com/trailering-towing/towing-charts.html

Edited by Brodie

Towing capacity for a 2011 4wd tahoe is ~8500 lbs, per Chevrolet. A Yukon Denali with the 6.0/6.2L (depending on model year) might be a better option, powerwise.

Here is the GMC towing chart, the Yukon(non-XL) specs should be the same as the tahoe specs:

http://www.gmc.com/trailering-towing/towing-charts.html

it is 8500 if it is 2wd with a 3.42 rear end and the upgraded cooling package. a 4wd drops to 8200 with same gears.

I had a 2012 Tahoe with the 3.08 gear set and hated it. Towed a v-ride for a friend and was sadly disappointed. Traded it in on an Avalanche LTZ with the 3.42. Much better

I seriously doubt you'd be happy with that Tahoe & the 3.08s. If possible, you could do a test drive & bring the boat along (done that myself). Take it up a pretty steep hill at freeway speeds & see how it does.

A gear swap will probably cost at least $1000 - $1500 for each axle.

Like Bill said do a tow test drive. I have a feeling the Tahoe will tow your rig just fine.

Do the Z71 and LTZ's come standard with the 3.42? I thought only hybrids and some 2wds had the tall gears. Guess I better make sure next year when I plan to buy a 2011-2012 Tahoe. 5200 lbs is ridiculous. My brother in-laws Acadia has that rating. 2wd's don't exist around here.

Edited by Brodie

Put a canopy on the truck for the puppy. How about a Expedition? I hate Ford but it might work for you.

I would think you could find a Suburban that would work for ya.

Thanks for the ideas....I do like the Toyota's but my wife insists on fully loaded and those are far and fewer.

We like the expeditions as well.

It has the 3.31 gears and is rated for 9000lbs....anyone have experience? Going to go test drive it this afternoon.

Edited by That Guy

I will say that my Expedition had much better brakes than any of the Chevys we've owned. MUCH better. Unfortunately it was an absolute pooch with the 4.6L in it. My wife says we should buy another and sell the Tahoe, it was a lot more comfy for her on the passenger side.

Plus--fold flat third row. Has GM figured that out yet?

I will say that my Expedition had much better brakes than any of the Chevys we've owned. MUCH better. Unfortunately it was an absolute pooch with the 4.6L in it. My wife says we should buy another and sell the Tahoe, it was a lot more comfy for her on the passenger side.

Plus--fold flat third row. Has GM figured that out yet?

Good to know. This one has the 5.4L so hopefully it's better. What was yours rated to tow with the 4.6L and how much were you towing if you don't mind me asking?

I buy older vehicles than you do. It was an '04 rated at 5,000. We bought it in '09 for $7200. Can't even find one now for that price.

Our Echelon LX fully loaded is probably 4k on the trailer. Had no problem with the suspension and brakes on that truck, would buy one if needed but it would have the 5.4. I would also consider the 07 up Sequoia and Armada (and QX56) if I could find them in the price range.

Edit: and I currently drive an old Tahoe. So no real brand hangups to speak of.

Edited by jk13

GM finally has a power fold flat third row in the 2015 models. But a loaded up LTZ stickers for about $70k. <br /><br />it should do pretty well that guy. 2wd or 4?

Yeah...we haven't got $70k for a single vehicle, lol. And the expedition has power fold flat 3rd row, I REALLY like the fold flat feature but the power thing I could care less about, IMO its just more to break down the road. Same with the power running boards that come out when you open a door, what's wrong with fixed ones? Oh wells, hopefully those issues creep up way after I've sold it.

And its 4wd selectable. Didn't want to have any issues no matter how unlikely.

My brother and I have been pulling trailers Boast, Snowmobile, Race car. with expeditions for as long as they have been on the road. I have not had a bad one and they have done a fine job. I am looking at going back to one in the fetcher they will get the EcoBoost this year. that will be a tow hound. As the OP I need inside space people and big dog.

I used to have a 08 Z71 Tahoe with 3.42 gear, we pulled our 21' Supra with it a few times. Pulled ok, but the trans temp would get high on hills even though I didn't have it in OD. Now we have a 13 Yukon Denali with 6.2, tried pulling the 247 with it once just to see how it would do. Within 15 miles at 65-70 mph on flat ground the trans temp was already at 220+ degrees. Will be a short life at those temps, that is why I have never liked using 1/2 tons for tow vehicles. I know many people do just fine with them, I just like to worry about other things than breaking down or being the person holding up traffic while trying to baby my vehicle.