Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Indmar water pump service bulletin

Here is some info I received from my dealer about a water pump issue in the 2012 Indmar 5.7L engines. My boat falls under this recall and will be inspected late next week. Just a little heads up for the crew. Admin crew, do we have a link anywhere to these types of bulletins or recalls?spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.giftransparent.gif spacer.gif

header.1.gif

Mail_Chimp.jpg

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifservicebulletin.jpg

SB2013-1
Water Circulating Pump Replacement on Certain 2012 Model 5.7L Engines
Engines Affected: 21012 Model 5.7L Engines with Serial Numbers from 170158 to 172350

Our engine supplier, General Motors Powertrain, has informed us that certain engines produced during our 2012 model year were built with water circulating pumps that may fail. In July, we issued a Service Advisory, SV2012-3, describing the issue. Since that advisory was issued, we have determined that the appropriate course of action is to inspect all of the pumps on the engines within the serial number group and replace the pumps that are part of the group that GM has identified as potentially defective.

What You Should Do
Inspect all pumps on engines that you have sold or that are in your inventory which fall within the serial number grouping. End user customers whose engines have been properly registered will receive a notification letter informing them of this situation.

To inspect the pump, it must be removed from the engine. There will be a number stamped on the back plate of the pump as shown below (Fig. 1). If the first 5 digits of the number on the pump plate is below 12027, the pump is suspect and must be replaced. If the first 5 digits of the number on the pump plate is 12027 or higher, the pump is OK to reinstall. Please record the engine serial number and the number from the pump backplate on the warranty claim.

Untitled1.png
Figure 1 Circulating Pump Back Plate
If the existing pump will be reused, reinstall using two new 551033 water circulating pump gaskets. Torque the circulating pump bolts evenly to 33 lb ft (45 Nm).

If the pump must be replaced, replace the pump using P/N 551045SB. New gaskets are supplied with the pump. Torque the circulating pump bolts evenly to 33 lb ft (45 Nm). Remove and retain the back plate from the pump to be returned with the warranty claim. The rest of the pump can be scrapped.

File the appropriate warranty claim form for the task completed. Form 1 is for units that were inspected and found to be good (ID number 12027 or higher). Form 2 is for units that had ID numbers below 12027 and needed to have the pump replaced.

SB2012-1 Claim Form 1 Instructions
Fill out your dealer information on the claim form. Record the engine serial number on the form. Fax or e-mail a copy of the completed claim form as indicated on the form.

Your dealership will be reimbursed for:
2 P/N 551033 Circulating Pump Gaskets plus shipping.
1 Hour Labor at your Warranty Labor rate

SB2012-1 Claim Form 2 Instructions
Fill out your dealer information on the claim form. Record the engine serial number on the form. Return the claim form and back plate(s) like you would return any other warranty part using the UPS Returns on Web system. If you are unfamiliar with using Returns On Web, contact Indmar Customer Service at 901-353-9930 for assistance. Please write “RMA SB2013-1” on the outside of the box.

Your dealership will be reimbursed for:
1 P/N 551045SB Water Circulating Pump plus shipping.
1 Hour Labor at your Warranty Labor Rate
Downloadwarrantyclaimform.jpg

If you have any questions or concerns, contact Customer Service at Indmar Products:
phone: 800.238.7112 or e-mail: [email protected].

Thank you for your attention to this important matter.

Team_Indmar_Logo_400b.jpg

footer.1.gif

Forward to a friend

© 2010 Indmar Marine Engines All rights reserved.

banner1.gif

Template created by Dominique Elkind

Edited by Malibuzer

Well this is kind of funny. The service bulletin says Engine serial numbers 170158 - 172350 Checked the paper work that I've got - my serial number is 170158, first of the problem children. Guess I'll call the dealer and see if they ever did the check on the boat.

Looks like that is from Jan 2013? But good info, I'll take a look when I do my impeller.

It's on the water circulation pump not the raw water pump. I know my engine is included in the suspect group but I figured I'd watch it for leaks and only pull it when I have to pull it.

It's on the water circulation pump not the raw water pump. I know my engine is included in the suspect group but I figured I'd watch it for leaks and only pull it when I have to pull it.

Ah, OK - now their picture makes more sense. So it is the engine pump. I sure hope that it was already inspected, I did not transfer the warranty ;) I'm assuming that the clearance at the back is too tight to just get an inspection camera in there.

WaterPumpQuikLG.jpg

Edited by oldjeep

It is funny that I never received this bulletin either. My boat is fully registered with Malibu and Indmar. Oh well, my dealer will fix it up for me!

Just an FYI, this issue started earlier than GM admitted to Indmar. We have boats prior to that serial number that experienced this failure.

You must remove the water pump to see the number on the back plate.

Peter.

Edit : below is a photo of how they break.

f1731f8b-1fad-46b9-ad28-df1fdd0bf8a4_zps

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

Just an FYI, this issue started earlier than GM admitted to Indmar. We have boats prior to that serial number that experienced this failure.

You must remove the water pump to see the number on the back plate.

Peter.

What specifically is the failure?

Look at the picture above your post and you will see the split in the impeller, GM fitted a batch of pumps that had a defect to their commercial/marine engines during that time and all marine manufactures experienced the same issue. I have done warranty replacements for Indmar, PCM and Marine Power and sent a boat to a Merc dealer to have its one changed out