Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Rim Upgrade?

QmanBu

As I am getting ready to pick my boat up in a few weeks, I am getting ready to purchase a spare tire since the previous owner never had one. Since it is a single axle trailer and no spare, makes me think the previous owner didn't trailer much. Taking the boat home will be a 300 mile drive and I don't want to start off with a blown tire and no spare.

That being said, I will be replacing both tires once i get it back home. But since I have to buy a spare, should I contemplate upgrading to a better rim since i already have to buy one? Then i would just keep one of the old rims as the spare. The current tires are an ST225/75/R15 Load Range D. After looking on a few websites I have found the current rim, and it comes in multiple load ranges which makes me worry that the rims on there are maybe garbage. Could that be the case?

post-23889-0-91274700-1396388211_thumb.j

Thought I could get something like this?

http://www.trailer-wheels.com/15x6-Black-Inlay-Aluminum-Bullet-T03-Trailer-Wheel-6-Lug-2830-Max-Load_p_1176.html#.UzsyBtw1dg0

Thanks

As I am getting ready to pick my boat up in a few weeks, I am getting ready to purchase a spare tire since the previous owner never had one. Since it is a single axle trailer and no spare, makes me think the previous owner didn't trailer much. Taking the boat home will be a 300 mile drive and I don't want to start off with a blown tire and no spare.

That being said, I will be replacing both tires once i get it back home. But since I have to buy a spare, should I contemplate upgrading to a better rim since i already have to buy one? Then i would just keep one of the old rims as the spare. The current tires are an ST225/75/R15 Load Range D. After looking on a few websites I have found the current rim, and it comes in multiple load ranges which makes me worry that the rims on there are maybe garbage. Could that be the case?

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

Thought I could get something like this?

http://www.trailer-wheels.com/15x6-Black-Inlay-Aluminum-Bullet-T03-Trailer-Wheel-6-Lug-2830-Max-Load_p_1176.html#.UzsyBtw1dg0

Thanks

The rims you linked look fine, and I suspect the ones that are on the trailer are fine too. Anything with 6 lug pattern is typically going to have a pretty high load rating.

Here is an option for a wheel tire combo

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Kenda/AM32669.html

Just a thought, but there is a guy on WW who figured out that stock Ford Ranger rims fit his trailer great. They look descent & should be pretty easy on the wallet.

728777.jpg

Thanks for the responses, I will look into those!

Is there any reason so go to a Load range E tire? Knowing the boat is 2900 dry plus trailer gas gear etc, I'm still covered by the "D" but after seeing so many bad experiences, I am hesitant.

Just a thought, but there is a guy on WW who figured out that stock Ford Ranger rims fit his trailer great. They look descent & should be pretty easy on the wallet

he has 6 lug rims. Ranger are 5

Interesting. I didn't know single axle trailers had 6 lug rims. Or is that unique to any brands of trailers?

thought that all singles were like that. My fil has a response on a single and it has 6 lug too.

thought that all singles were like that. My fil has a response on a single and it has 6 lug too.

Yea, so in that case, the Ranger rims may only work on tandem axle trailers. I imagine there are other OEM truck rims that may be the right size & offset to fit the OP's trailer though..... it's just a matter of finding out which ones.

Thanks for the responses, I will look into those!

Is there any reason so go to a Load range E tire? Knowing the boat is 2900 dry plus trailer gas gear etc, I'm still covered by the "D" but after seeing so many bad experiences, I am hesitant.

E is going to ride rougher due to the stiffer sidewalls. D should be fine, just keep them properly inflated. A good share of trailer blowouts are due to under inflation not bad tires.