Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Malibu Owner to be "MUST HAVES"

MEYJR

Hey everyone, I am about to be the proud owner of a new 23 LSV that is coming in at the end of the month. Since it is already warming up here in Texas I want to be ready to go as soon as she arrives. I have not owned a boat in almost 20 years due to no time to enjoy one thanks to my 2 boys being into baseball. I was wondering what you guys would say is must haves for day 1 on the lake. I know life vests of course. And boards and ropes. But what other things do you suggest having? Any favorite gadgets or accessories I may not think of? Anything that you ever said DANG I wish I had one of those right now! Or DANG I am sure glad I had that! Basically just what makes life easier for a day at the lake?

Thanks in advance!

Did you get in on TMC towel buy????? Those are realy nice.

If not, sorry to hear, as the group buy closed yesterday.

• Like 2

Get yourself a 'boat hook"....one of those poles with a hook on the end.

It will make docking for the first time in 20 years far less stressful...increases your 'margin of error' by a great degree.

• Like 3

Extra set of board racks (upper section of tower). Its always nice to have extra storage for boards. They are nice, but Malibu is proud of them and they are pricey. Maybe you already ordered it with these? Congrats on the boat.... :)

And a WakeJak, excellent to use with the G3 tower.

http://wakejak.com/

Edited by Fman
Extra set of board racks (upper section of tower). Its always nice to have extra storage for boards. They are nice, but Malibu is proud of them and they are pricey. Maybe you already ordered it with these? Congrats on the boat.... :)

And a WakeJak, excellent to use with the G3 tower.

http://wakejak.com/

Does the wake jack truly work as advertised? No more rope hang ups or even a need to have someone on rope duty??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, wakejak rocks! Works great for surfing too. One of the best items I bought for the G3.

Yep, no need to have a rope monitor for boards and it keeps it out of the boat.

Edited by Fman

Get a transom cover for sure. Midlothian is right down the road from me. I live in Waxahachie. Too bad Joe Pool is not the best lake for wakeboarding/Surving, etc... We either go to Bardwell or Lewisville. Hope to see you out there.

Did you get in on TMC towel buy????? Those are realy nice.

If not, sorry to hear, as the group buy closed yesterday.

No missed out on towels.

How does it work for surfing?

Works great for surfing too. It really is a great addition to any boat with a G3 or forward progressive tower. My friend picked one up for his MB and loves it.

Get a transom cover for sure. Midlothian is right down the road from me. I live in Waxahachie. Too bad Joe Pool is not the best lake for wakeboarding/Surving, etc... We either go to Bardwell or Lewisville. Hope to see you out there.

Thanks for suggestions. I also thought about the boat hook to make things easier. Also had fenders on list. Anything I need to protect her. I have also been looking at the box anchors. Seems like a good purchase.

Nice to hear from an Ellis County neighbor. I figure we will go to Joe Pool for quick week evening trips but plan to find other lakes to spend entire weekends at. When you say transom cover are you referring to the pad for protection? Where do I get one?

The AO cooler that fits under the seat is a must have for me. I have two of them. They work much better than the original as far as keeping things cold and using less ice. A way to stream music is also a must for me.

• Like 2

Thanks for suggestions. I also thought about the boat hook to make things easier. Also had fenders on list. Anything I need to protect her. I have also been looking at the box anchors. Seems like a good purchase.

Save yourself some money on the fenders & get like 4 of the Exile buoy balls. There is NO BETTER!

284883_2193306879634_1456029435_32383294

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Get yourself a 'boat hook"....one of those poles with a hook on the end.

It will make docking for the first time in 20 years far less stressful...increases your 'margin of error' by a great degree.

for docking? What's this?

for docking? What's this?

A pole with a hook on it. You basically pull up to the dock leaving a few feet between you and the dock. Then hook the dock and hand pull yourself in. I've never used one though.

Suggestions:

Make sure the plug is in.

Don't unhook your new shiny slippery boat from the winch until you are almost in the water.

Have a few basic tools on board including a knife. You never know when you need to cut a line tangled in a bad spot. I carry a divers mask as well.

Hey everyone, I am about to be the proud owner of a new 23 LSV that is coming in at the end of the month. Since it is already warming up here in Texas I want to be ready to go as soon as she arrives. I have not owned a boat in almost 20 years due to no time to enjoy one thanks to my 2 boys being into baseball. I was wondering what you guys would say is must haves for day 1 on the lake. I know life vests of course. And boards and ropes. But what other things do you suggest having? Any favorite gadgets or accessories I may not think of? Anything that you ever said DANG I wish I had one of those right now! Or DANG I am sure glad I had that! Basically just what makes life easier for a day at the lake?

Thanks in advance!

You will need a fire extinguisher. You're also going to need a type IV throwable personal floatation device. Both are TPWD requirements.

You will want at least four good fenders and at least two good mooring lines. I prefer mine with snubbers, but they are not essential.

Bring along a tool kit and maybe some extra c-clamps in various sizes (My boat came from the dealer with a zip tie, instead of a c-clamp, on the distal end of the hose to the water-cooled shaft seal: pretty exciting to have about 12 gallons per minute quietly filling the bilge when that sucker popped off!).

A good snorkeling mask is a plus (makes untangling a rope, or examining the prop, if a sudden vibration occurs, much easier to do: I once, in the middle of pulling a wake boarder, noticed a sudden worrisome vibration; I shut her down and jumped in with my mask, quickly discovering a very small piece of drift wood impaled on the edge of one of the prop blades!!!).

Definitely :plus1: on the boat hook and the anchor.

And, those "the absorber" chamois towels that you can find at auto parts stores or Wal-Mart are great for wiping down the boat at the end of the day, or for quickly cleaning up small spills. I always have two on board. Just wring them out and put them back in their plastic container and they will last forever.

Edited by srab

A pole with a hook on it. You basically pull up to the dock leaving a few feet between you and the dock. Then hook the dock and hand pull yourself in. I've never used one though.

Suggestions:

Make sure the plug is in.

Don't unhook your new shiny slippery boat from the winch until you are almost in the water.

Have a few basic tools on board including a knife. You never know when you need to cut a line tangled in a bad spot. I carry a divers mask as well.

Well I am a diver so I can have a full set of scuba gear if needed. And may if on a clear lake.

Thanks for all the help. My list is growing.

Well I am a diver so I can have a full set of scuba gear if needed. And may if on a clear lake.

Thanks for all the help. My list is growing.

On that note, a mask and a sharp knife for when *ahem* if you run over the tow rope.

I unhook the transom when I get to the ramp, but I don't unhook the bow from the winch until the hull is wet.

• Like 1

I unhook the transom when I get to the ramp, but I don't unhook the bow from the winch until the hull is wet.

That's how I always did my last boat.

Works great for surfing too. It really is a great addition to any boat with a G3 or forward progressive tower. My friend picked one up for his MB and loves it.

What do you do when you're just cruising or not using a rope off the tower? Does the wakejak go on and off pretty easy, does it stow-away or fold up somehow while remaining attached to the tower pylon, or do you just leave it up there as is to swing around? I ask because I ski, tube and cruise more than I surf and wakeboard, so want to know if it's going to be a big hassle constantly setting up and taking down - kind of defeating the purpose of getting it. Thanks, and sorry for the hi-jak (pun intended).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk