Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Warranty Problems

SeniorT

Mad.gif I'm not one to complain but I can't keep it in any longer. I bought a "Demo" 05 VLX from UWS at the end of last year. When I picked the boat up it looked great. The boat only had 30 hours on it and I got a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, I was only able to take it to the lake 2 times before the weather turned bad at which point it was detailed, covered, and put into a garage until just recently. In the short amount of time I had the boat, I did discover some warranty issues and thought I would take care of of them in the spring. When I pulled the boat out this spring, to my surprise, I found a spider web crack in the gel coat. This surprised me because it wasn't there when I put the boat in the garage and the boat hasn't been touched until I pulled it out last month. Off to the dealer I go expecting that Malibu would take care of all my problems. Unfortunately, the closest Bu dealer (other than the factory) is Etco marine. Etco just started carrying Malibu this year. I was the first Bu they had in for warranty issues. When I showed her my laundry list of warranty items, whe told me she was not sure how Malibu handles warrantly issues but would contact me asap. I took the boat to them in March to get the crack fixed, the tower banging fixed, the brown stains on the carpet fixed, and the excessive movement (collapsing) of the floor where the table goes. I called Etco every couple of weeks to find out the progress and always got the same answer "waiting for the factory to approve the warranty items". Well today (month later) I got the answer. Malibu will not cover any of the warranty items I had submitted. The dealer informed me that Bu said I caused the crack in the gel coat from the inside????, the rattling,banging noise is normal for the illusion tower, the carpet stains were caused by me, and they have never heard of the excessive floor movement around the table base. Here is the kicker, it seems that every 05 VLX has these issues. There are threads regarding each of these problems yet the dealer (Etco) as well as Malibu has never heard of them????? I used to be a Mastercraft loyalist but the prices they are charging for their boats have gotten out of hand. The one nice thing, however, was any problems I had, they were taken care of immediately. I loved my Bu the two times I took it to the lake but if this is the kind of service and support I can expect, I think I will be selling a low hour, albeit falling apart, Malibu very shortly. Any suggestions?????
I'd call UWS and see if they'll go to bat for ya. Why didn't you buy the boat from Etco?

Etco just started selling Malibus (Feb/March 06). Prior to that, the closest dealer to me was UWS. The funny thing is I only live 1/2 an hour away from the factory in Merced. The salesman I was dealing with at UWS is no longer, no one else would step up and help. I got the same info from them, never heard of the problems????

The carpet is a known issue and I am having my table floor replaced under warranty as we write. Can't help with the cracks or the tower (I have the skylon).

Good Luck & welcome to the board.

If you live a 1/2 hour away from the factory, sounds like you should contact customer support and tell them you're bringing the boat in to show them direct. Explain you're not getting the serivce from Etco becuase they are so new.

I'd take the boat to them.

They service boats there all the time for warranty work.

Isn't the tower banging due to the lack of a couple of washers being installed?

I told Etco about the "bushing kit" from Metcraft but they informed me that Malibu told them to send me back to my original dealer (Ultimate Water Sports- 3hours away) to get it fixed. It seems like no one will step up and take care of the problems. A lot of he said, she said

I told Etco about the "bushing kit" from Metcraft but they informed me that Malibu told them to send me back to my original dealer (Ultimate Water Sports- 3hours away) to get it fixed. It seems like no one will step up and take care of the problems. A lot of he said, she said

so Malibu didn't really tell you they wouldn't fix the issues...the told you to go back to your selling dealer...sounds like a good idea to me. give UWS a ring

The floor issue is a known problem. I had mine replace last year (actually i ordered it through UWS((under warrenty)) and installed it myself because I didn't want the BA folks touching my boat). As far as the tower... It is common when the "kids" at the dealer install the tower they leave out the bushings, but what I found on my tower was that the left hinge bearing was popped loose from boss fitting. I'll locktite and restake the bearing myself.

As you can tell, I'm not a big fan of dropping my boat off at the dealer for them to leave it outside for weeks with no cover, walk all though it with shoes and greasy hand prints and still not fix the orignal diecrepency.

OK, I'm off my soap box.

If you live a 1/2 hour away from the factory, sounds like you should contact customer support and tell them you're bringing the boat in to show them direct. Explain you're not getting the serivce from Etco becuase they are so new.

I'd take the boat to them.

They service boats there all the time for warranty work.

That is exaclty what I would do. Bring it to the factory. Chances are the dealer, didn't even get a real response from Malibu.

Go to the factory and track down Mike Sanchez, let him take a look at it.

the creaking floor and the banging tower were both repaired at the dealer under warranty on my boat. not sure what your dealer is talking about. i know of at least one boat that malibu has bent over backwards for on warranty issues here locally. the dealer is a newbie sounds like to me.

so Malibu didn't really tell you they wouldn't fix the issues...the told you to go back to your selling dealer...sounds like a good idea to me. give UWS a ring

Sorry, wasn't very clear about what I was told. Malibu told Etco that the rattle is normal. When I first took the boat out last year and heard the rattle I contacted UWS. They told me there was a fix for the rattle. When I told this to Etco, THEY told me to go back to the original dealer.

Sorry, wasn't very clear about what I was told. Malibu told Etco that the rattle is normal. When I first took the boat out last year and heard the rattle I contacted UWS. They told me there was a fix for the rattle. When I told this to Etco, THEY told me to go back to the original dealer.

Sounds to me that Etco doesn't know how to fix it, so they're just saying "well we don't know how, go to someone who does." I'd take everyone else's advice and give the factory a call. You don't have anything to lose by asking.

Don't muck around - go straight to Malibu. Mike Sanchez took us through the Merced factory last year and he is a straight shooting guy. It is not worth stewing over - go do it.

Use the search for "carpet stains" (try it on Wakeside as well!) - You'll be surprised how known that '05 problem is!

All the best with your warranty issues!

Use the search for "carpet stains" (try it on Wakeside as well!) - You'll be surprised how known that '05 problem is!

All the best with your warranty issues!

Malibu and Etco have redeemed themselves. I guess I was part of the growing pains associated with a dealership that just started selling Malibus. Mike Sanchez is the greatest. He was able to explain and answer most of the complaints I previously had. The only issue that is outstanding is the gel coat crack. I have no way of proving it but the crack had to be there prior to me picking the boat up. Other than that, Malibu is sending out the Metcraft kit to fix the tower, R&R is sending out the carpet cleaner for the glue issue, and the floor around the table attachment is being replaced. All in all, very happy with the outcome. Hopefully things will go more smoothly next time.