Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 Malibu VLX wakesetter

KK646

Dear forum,

My starboard ballast tank will not empty and I assume its the pump.Can anyone inform me of the drain pump location as I cannot find it?

Thanks in anticipation

Gynther65

Boy are you in for a treat! It's gonna be starboard side right up against the transom. Close to the engine. Oh and it's under the floor! So you can do one of two things 1. Take all screws out of floor, bend the floor up, then try to contort yourself between the cross bars and engine to change it out. OR 2. Pull back carpet, Take a Dremel multi-max or equivalent cut you a hinged access hole in floor, glue carpet back down, change pump out in less than 5 minutes. If you need help you can PM me as I just did this Saturday night

Awesome response thank you, I found the beast just where you described along with water, old screw drivers and a rusty wrench..

I pulled the floor up for the first and last time and will now make the TNwilson access hatch as described.

One more question

I have a tsunami replacement pump. Can this be positioned above the tank in the luggage bay or must it be at tank level or lower to prime?

This would make changing the pump even easier.

Cheers

gynther65

No problem! Definitely can't take credit for the access door idea. Some helpful folks on this site lead me in that direction! Those things are a pain for sure. Having above access will allow you to change those things in less than 5 minutes. As far as relocating pumps above floor I don't think I would do that. IMO they will def loose prime and not drain all water out. Also if you ever plan to out 750 or 1100 sacks in there you won't have room for the pumps.