Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HH 383 Owners

norcal_rdr

Hammerhead 383  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How is it holding up?

• Great! No problems and runs strong.
    • Fair. It runs well but has had minor issues
    • Not great. Multiple issues ranging from minor to major

Looking to get a survey of experiences:

Since the oil debacle, how is your motor holding up and how many hours do you have on it? I would love to get both the good and ugly feedback. Have you had any issues, if so what? In hindsight, would you stick with the HH? If you have had issues or were in the situation you had to replace the motor what would you replace it with?

Thanks in advance!

I think you want to be clear about which debacle you are referring to. The dipstick debacle?

MIne is just fine at 375 hours. It is a 2006. I would have preferred the 8.1, but you sort of get what you can find when you have some search criteria that are very specific. I would have only preferred to get the 8.1 because I think it does have a little more power, and my HH uses as much gas as my 8.1 in my X45 did.

320 hours, issue free on the motor. New V-drive and transmission at 200 hours. Failed nylon exhaust elbows on the high surf side ( brass elbows and putting the water plumbing kit in this spring)

Stick with HH : yes

Replacement: HH preferred on principle.... probably a monsoon based on budget

Edited by G-Mack

No issues yet after 70 hrs (400 total) but I can't get past the idle vibration and oil consumption. I was told its normal but unless I sell it to a TMC veteran some day who understands it, it's gonna be a tough sell and I'm dreading it. I wish I would have found an 8.1 instead... Not to mention the fact that you can't get more than 3.5 qts of oil out during an oil change unless you can flip the boat upside down :crazy:

• Like 1

On our old vlx 06 between 300 and 350 crankshaft broke (motor replaced) and at 750 crank start broke again (motor replaced with 350).Would never run that motor again 350 is bullet proof. My 2 sense though.

I think you want to be clear about which debacle you are referring to. The dipstick debacle?

MIne is just fine at 375 hours. It is a 2006. I would have preferred the 8.1, but you sort of get what you can find when you have some search criteria that are very specific. I would have only preferred to get the 8.1 because I think it does have a little more power, and my HH uses as much gas as my 8.1 in my X45 did.

Yep, dispstick/ oil recomendation is what I was refrencing. Thanks for your feedback!

On our old vlx 06 between 300 and 350 crankshaft broke (motor replaced) and at 750 crank start broke again (motor replaced with 350).Would never run that motor again 350 is bullet proof. My 2 sense though.

Well that sounds familiar. We also had the crankshaft break but it was at 500 hours. Indmar sent us a rebuilt but that came to us with major oil consumption issues in addition to a fatal piston issue within months of install. Motor is trash. Do you notice a big power difference going from the HH to the monsoon?

320 hours, issue free on the motor. New V-drive and transmission at 200 hours. Failed nylon exhaust elbows on the high surf side ( brass elbows and putting the water plumbing kit in this spring)

Stick with HH : yes

Replacement: HH preferred on principle.... probably a monsoon based on budget

Why did the V-drive and transmission get replaced? We also had the v-drive, transmission, and damper plate replaced about 450 hours (for a second time) due to knocking. The first time was at 300 hours and replacement was limited to damper plate, knocking never went away hence the second replacement of entire transmission. Low and behold, 50 hours later crankshaft let loose (500 hrs).

No issues yet after 70 hrs (400 total) but I can't get past the idle vibration and oil consumption. I was told its normal but unless I sell it to a TMC veteran some day who understands it, it's gonna be a tough sell and I'm dreading it. I wish I would have found an 8.1 instead... Not to mention the fact that you can't get more than 3.5 qts of oil out during an oil change unless you can flip the boat upside down :crazy:

Ha! The first time we changed the oil we were so confused at to why we could only get 3.5 qt too. I completely understand the resale. We will never be able to private party sell our boat either, not with HH. How much oil are you going through? Our boat runs really rough at idle if we are not completely full on oil. Even if we were at 3/4 mark on the dipstick there was a noticable difference in start-up and idle.

Well that sounds familiar. We also had the crankshaft break but it was at 500 hours. Indmar sent us a rebuilt but that came to us with major oil consumption issues in addition to a fatal piston issue within months of install. Motor is trash. Do you notice a big power difference going from the HH to the monsoon?

350 is just a smoother more reliable motor around. Lost little power but nothing re prop can't fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought mine last November with 600 hours, first trip out after I put it in for a service the v belt snapped, it overheated and blew the head gasket, I'm pulling it out in the off season for a full overhaul. When it's going it's a great motor...

This is interesting, I just bought a 09 with the 383 HH and from the research I did on here before buying it seemed like the majority are very happy with the engine. Sounded like it was a bit oil thirsty and oil changes are pain but other then that a - ok.

Not satisfied with the performance of the 350 in a fully loaded (repropped) LSV so that wasn't a option for me.

I have 375 hours on my 2009 HH, have not had any problems and no oil consumption problems at all. I'm very happy with my engine!!

The thing that pees me off about draining the oil is that the previous owner (and the dealership that took it in on trade) didn't change the oil. I wouldn't be surprised if that oil had 326 hours on it when I bought it. It came out like black goo, but only 3-4 qts, so now I've decided to change it every 30 hours or so to eventually get the old stuff diluted out.

On the idle issue, I was referring to the rattling/knocking noise that I get (and was confirmed by many other owners) when engaging into forward. Even the slightest increase in rpm will make it go away but idling forward at 650 rpm causes an annoying rattling sound. An indmar rep told me it was normal and had to do with the "hot rod" cam which made the motor "lopey" and the mesh between the motor/tranny/vdrive caused the noise.

I knew about the oil consumption issue and was fine with dealing with that, but these others issues were bad surprises.

320 ish hours here on an 08. Runs like a champ. I too have the idle issue but it is not a bother at all now that I understand it. Oil consumption ranges from zero in a couple gas fill ups to a qt low. Cant really figure out why it fluctuates but it is never excessive.

This is interesting, I just bought a 09 with the 383 HH and from the research I did on here before buying it seemed like the majority are very happy with the engine. Sounded like it was a bit oil thirsty and oil changes are pain but other then that a - ok.

Not satisfied with the performance of the 350 in a fully loaded (repropped) LSV so that wasn't a option for me.

I did a lot of research too back in 2010/2011 when we purchased our boat. At the time the oil consumption issue looked to have been resolved with new recommendations/ dipsticks so we went with it. It seems pretty hit and miss, either you got a good one or you got a lemon. When we do have it running it is a strong and great motor. I really hate that we have had so many issues.

500 HRS on an 07 23 LSV and nothing but good times and good fuel use. Have not used a drop of oil. I agree on the difficulty of getting all of the oil out, I always add an additional qt and suck is out before I refill. The only thing I would do is add the remote oil filter the stock location is a pain.

All the power and torque needed to board and surf

Love the aluminum risers and the sound also.

The thing that pees me off about draining the oil is that the previous owner (and the dealership that took it in on trade) didn't change the oil. I wouldn't be surprised if that oil had 326 hours on it when I bought it. It came out like black goo, but only 3-4 qts, so now I've decided to change it every 30 hours or so to eventually get the old stuff diluted out.

On the idle issue, I was referring to the rattling/knocking noise that I get (and was confirmed by many other owners) when engaging into forward. Even the slightest increase in rpm will make it go away but idling forward at 650 rpm causes an annoying rattling sound. An indmar rep told me it was normal and had to do with the "hot rod" cam which made the motor "lopey" and the mesh between the motor/tranny/vdrive caused the noise.

I knew about the oil consumption issue and was fine with dealing with that, but these others issues were bad surprises.

That rattle and knocking is exactly what we have had and made Indmar attempt to fix when still under warranty. 2 damper plates and a complete transmission/v-drive replacement we ended up with a snapped crankshaft. It's hard to believe the weak crankshaft was in no way related to the original knocking and vibration felt when going into gear. My oil is black within 5 to 10 hours of a change. I don't think your boat would be running if no one changed the oil in 300 hours, these motors are way too oil finicky. 50 hours was not often enough for us, we were doing 30-40 hour changes, otherwise we would end up with oil alarm when decelerating from cruising speed to idle.

I pretty much have zero faith in Indmar reps. Lips service in my experience. Tried to tell me they installed "beefed" up damper plate on the second go round. When my boat sounded like it was going to explode when going into gear they played it off and said the beefed up parts made for a louder ride and I would have to sacrifice extra noise for the "tractor" like strength. I knew my motor was about to blow up and it only took 50 hours from that point. I am far from a motor tech but I do know my '08 boat should not be running rougher than my dads '62 chevy.

Bought mine last November with 600 hours, first trip out after I put it in for a service the v belt snapped, it overheated and blew the head gasket, I'm pulling it out in the off season for a full overhaul. When it's going it's a great motor...

Bust! Agreed about it being a great motor when its going. GL on the overhaul.

That rattle and knocking is exactly what we have had and made Indmar attempt to fix when still under warranty. 2 damper plates and a complete transmission/v-drive replacement we ended up with a snapped crankshaft. It's hard to believe the weak crankshaft was in no way related to the original knocking and vibration felt when going into gear. My oil is black within 5 to 10 hours of a change. I don't think your boat would be running if no one changed the oil in 300 hours, these motors are way too oil finicky. 50 hours was not often enough for us, we were doing 30-40 hour changes, otherwise we would end up with oil alarm when decelerating from cruising speed to idle.

I pretty much have zero faith in Indmar reps. Lips service in my experience. Tried to tell me they installed "beefed" up damper plate on the second go round. When my boat sounded like it was going to explode when going into gear they played it off and said the beefed up parts made for a louder ride and I would have to sacrifice extra noise for the "tractor" like strength. I knew my motor was about to blow up and it only took 50 hours from that point. I am far from a motor tech but I do know my '08 boat should not be running rougher than my dads '62 chevy.

Well the advice came from an Indmar rep who is on this site and very well respected. I'll keep it full of 50wt oil changed every 30 hours and run it till it blows up. Then I'll have a mysterious hitch failure on the way home on a country road :whistle:

. 50 hours was not often enough for us, we were doing 30-40 hour changes, otherwise we would end up with oil alarm when decelerating from cruising speed to idle.

I get that all the time. The 40 weight oil is supposed to help, but I have come to the conclusion that it is because the oil pickup is towards the transom side of the motor (the back of the boat). It NEVER happens to me unless I have the front heavily weighted. It also happens a lot more when I am a quart low on oil. When I slow down from wakeboarding with the boat nicely loaded in the front, my boat is nose down in the water, and I think the oil sloshes away from the pickup. But I am just drawing a conclusion based on my experience. I have also wondered if it had to do with the computer. when the low oil pressure alarms, I still have like 10-15 PSI (more than idle pressure). The oil alarm is set to go off based on a combination of RPM and oil pressure. I wondered if there is a point at which the two curves cross and the computer spits out the alarm for a fraction of a second.

I bet you are wakeboarding with at least the stock ballast full and +/- people in the front when that happens? And I bet it happens when you are 1/2 quart low. I think it has nothing to do with how old the oil is, because I do not get that problem when the front is not loaded and the oil is at the full mark on the dipstick, regardless of oil age. I just ignore it because the oil pressure reads fine, even when I get the alarm. It is just the price I pay for having a slumped out wakeboard machine.

I get that all the time. The 40 weight oil is supposed to help, but I have come to the conclusion that it is because the oil pickup is towards the transom side of the motor (the back of the boat). It NEVER happens to me unless I have the front heavily weighted. It also happens a lot more when I am a quart low on oil. When I slow down from wakeboarding with the boat nicely loaded in the front, my boat is nose down in the water, and I think the oil sloshes away from the pickup. But I am just drawing a conclusion based on my experience. I have also wondered if it had to do with the computer. when the low oil pressure alarms, I still have like 10-15 PSI (more than idle pressure). The oil alarm is set to go off based on a combination of RPM and oil pressure. I wondered if there is a point at which the two curves cross and the computer spits out the alarm for a fraction of a second.

I bet you are wakeboarding with at least the stock ballast full and +/- people in the front when that happens? And I bet it happens when you are 1/2 quart low. I think it has nothing to do with how old the oil is, because I do not get that problem when the front is not loaded and the oil is at the full mark on the dipstick, regardless of oil age. I just ignore it because the oil pressure reads fine, even when I get the alarm. It is just the price I pay for having a slumped out wakeboard machine.

I wish it was only when we had it loaded up. We never ride with more than 5/6 ppl and other than the front tank there is not much extra weight in bow, maybe a sack in the walk through on occasion if it is just 3 of us. It definitely has to do with oil level but the end of the oil life is when it tends to gets worse. Your theory may still stick though, its most likely a combo of all things mentioned.

Well the advice came from an Indmar rep who is on this site and very well respected. I'll keep it full of 50wt oil changed every 30 hours and run it till it blows up. Then I'll have a mysterious hitch failure on the way home on a country road :whistle:

HA! I wouldn't mind one of those delta tweakers stealing my boat. I should stop keeping it behind locked gates. Big shinny speakers attracts those types, right? :innocent:

"Failed nylon exhaust elbows on the high surf side ( brass elbows and putting the water plumbing kit in this spring)" I have heard of this issue but when I brought it up with the dealership I got the blank look (email). Where are they located? I am going to have them replaced before the boat leaves the dealership.