Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel sender help

joshuadale07

Hello all,

I recently decided to tackle my fuel guage problem in my 2000 wakesetter vlx. I ordered a new teleflex fuel sender hoping it was the issue. Wired it up and had nothing. Do the gauges go bad often or would their possibly be a wiring issue? Don't want to order a new guage cluster if it's wiring. What's the easiest way to troubleshoot this? Thanks

If you have the Medallion module, it's digital, so you can swap connectors at the back of the fuel gauge with another working gauge. If it still doesn't work, it's the gauge.

Awesome. I dug deeper in search history and found that. I'll give it a shot. If it's not the gauge am I looking at having bro replace the medallion module?

Ya reading that thread was what reminded me that the fuel gauge was on the to do list lol. All the other gauges in the cluster work. I'm gonna check my ground from the sender then pull the guage and try a different 5 pin if it's not the ground. Should narrow it down to gauge or medallion if it's not just a bad ground. Gauge has never moved since I have owned the boat (since June 2012) and it finally got annoying enough to look into it.

The medallion controllers in that year were known to have problems.

But, usually it was because the diaphragm at the ends of the pitot tubes would rupture and fill the control unit with water.

Then, usually, you'd have a massive failure of the gauges not, just one.

I pulled the dash and it seems like the guage. My temp, oil pressure, and voltage all work fine. Gonna order a new guage and wait and see I guess!