Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where to find a project boat?

jeepurz

Trying to find a used 'bu that fits our needs, at the right price, tolerable colors, etc... has proven to be somewhat daunting. Something I haven't seen much in all of my searching are "project" boats. Built2rev's project comes to mind, but there have been others. Essentially looking for a good hull, may need some serious elbow grease cleaning(maybe even new skins), and a frozen/cracked block motor. Motor work is something I'm more than happy to tackle. I've put GM smallblocks into Jeeps many times, which is significantly harder than just replacing a dead motor with a short or long block.

Where has anyone else found a project boat, just through word of mouth? Insurance sites? I'm well aware of the challenges I'd face, you just never know what you're going to get with a project boat. With no ability to test on the water, you could find WAY more wrong with it after you get the easy stuff out of the way. But if the price is right, hard to pass up an opportunity.

Trying to find a used 'bu that fits our needs, at the right price, tolerable colors, etc... has proven to be somewhat daunting. Something I haven't seen much in all of my searching are "project" boats. Built2rev's project comes to mind, but there have been others. Essentially looking for a good hull, may need some serious elbow grease cleaning(maybe even new skins), and a frozen/cracked block motor. Motor work is something I'm more than happy to tackle. I've put GM smallblocks into Jeeps many times, which is significantly harder than just replacing a dead motor with a short or long block.

Where has anyone else found a project boat, just through word of mouth? Insurance sites? I'm well aware of the challenges I'd face, you just never know what you're going to get with a project boat. With no ability to test on the water, you could find WAY more wrong with it after you get the easy stuff out of the way. But if the price is right, hard to pass up an opportunity.

Out of curiosity, what is your purchase/resto budget and what year/model are you hoping for?

Edited by oldjeep

zo2c.jpg

Boats like this would always be a nice start

OMG! Used Bayliner, minor scratches in the hull, perfect interior, may need I/O work. Dodge Ram pickup with minor front end and bed damage also available. Both in like new condition. You have to see them to appreciate the personal touches from this owner.

Out of curiosity, what is your purchase/resto budget and what year/model are you hoping for?

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1998-Malibu-Sportster-LX-102083083

Looks pretty good. Not sure about colours though

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1989-Malibu-MALIBU-SKIER-102123049

Closed bow Bu is always nice.

Will you travel out of state to pick up?

I should have been more clear, I'm very adept at finding potential boats in the local area, I just can't seem to find much for potential project boats. Old doesn't mean project in my mind, somewhat neglected and/or failed maintenance does. i.e: I'm happy to take someone's misery of finding a cracked engine block and fix it. Maybe I need to wait until people get their boats out of storage this spring... Sorry to benefit from other's personal agony. :(

As with most of my posts, I should have been more clear in my original post. I've got a pretty open set of needs. Would prefer a diamond vs. wake hull for skiing(though not mandatory), anything from ~2006-ish and newer, most likely a 21-footer(23's feel big to me), and fairly neutral colors(no lime green). My idea of a project boat is something that's probably been a bit neglected and I'm more than happy to take over a dead engine/cracked block as I have the history to easily fix/replace.

Ideally, a $35-45K boat with a cracked block and unkept interior would sell for at least $10K below that value depending on what needs to be fixed.

http://www.iaai.com - vehicles after an insurance claim.

Sweet! Think I just found my project. A little more work than originally thought, but I did say I wanted something that needed work...

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?auctionID=0&itemID=16289506&RowNumber=0&loadRecent=True

• Like 3

Check with your local dealers service manager they will know of any potential project boats opportunities. Good luck with your search.

CB