Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

impeller change

I read a post on here about changing the impeller. I could not find the post so I thought I would post what I found to work the best based on all the comments I read on that thread. The most difficult part was getting positioned correctly. I laid my throwable on the engine cover and just laid across the engine and reached behind the motor.

1 small ratchet with small extension got three of the screws on the cover and I had to use a flat-head on one that was in a tight spot.

2 I sprayed WD 40 bumped the motor twice. Used needle nose and basically came out with little to no effort. Not sure why you would ever need a special tool for this.

3 Cleaned off old gasket. My boat did not have an o-ring to replace. However, the kit came with an o-ring gasket and a regular one. Also clean out the inside of the impeller housing and ensure no left over debris.

4 lubed up the new one put the side that is labelled Jacobson towards the motor and used a clockwise twisting motion towards the motor to install. You have to really man handle it a bit to get it in there. Don't be frilly with it. I found getting the new one in to be the most difficult. I got it about 1/2 way in, made sure it was in the spline. Gave it a quick tab with a rubber mallet.

5 Put the gasket on the cover and made sure it is aligned correctly - It will only fit one way. If you pay attention when you take it off you won't get confused on this.

Whole job took me 40 minutes (first time). next time it won't take more than 10 minutes. Anyway, definately a DIY type job and mine was in a tough spot and I can't see anyone that can change brakes on a car not being able to do this themselves. Also don't waste your money on the tool, it really wouldn't have made any difference. Al least not on my boat.

Hope this helps anyone doing this in prep for summer. BTW I am so glad I read the thread at least 3 of the ridges on the mine were completely ripped off. Saved me being stranded.

I hear ya but It really didn't feel that way. I think the WD 40 and the advice about bumping the motor made all the difference. Also I put the new one in and then had to take it back out again and no problem and that's a brand new one, granted it was lubed up like a slip and slide.

If you're only doing a check and not replacing the impeller you may not want to use pliers. I've found that a couple of paint can keys can pull the impeller out without damaging the fins.

• Like 1

If you're only doing a check and not replacing the impeller you may not want to use pliers. I've found that a couple of paint can keys can pull the impeller out without damaging the fins.

I can't imagine going through the bother of pulling it and not replacing it. I think with the discount it was about $25 for the impeller kit from Bakes

I can't imagine going through the bother of pulling it and not replacing it. I think with the discount it was about $25 for the impeller kit from Bakes

+1 :clap:

Agreed for yearly maintenance. If you're troubleshooting a rise in engine temp and it's the only one you have it might help to have a couple of the keys in your tool kit. It's a 15min job. Just a tip.

Can you tell me more about this. How do I go get them out?

follow the "plumbing" to a black cylinder about 8 inches long and 2" diameter. at the "input" side, remove hose clamp, feel in hose and at screen on the tranny "cooler".

I may or may not have asked this in another thread. If I did, i I don't remember the response. How do you bump the starter with the touch screen ignition button? When you hit the button, it continues to turn over until it fires. If you press it twice will it just bump? Maybe press start and then kill it with the main power button?

I may or may not have asked this in another thread. If I did, i I don't remember the response. How do you bump the starter with the touch screen ignition button? When you hit the button, it continues to turn over until it fires. If you press it twice will it just bump? Maybe press start and then kill it with the main power button?

Take out kill switch and try and start?

• Like 1

Fwiw, I never have bumped the starter to remove the impeller. I soak it some wd-40 for a couple mins, then use some vice grip needle nose players and it pops right out.

One more tip......

The engine cover has 2 small circle clips holding the pin in place. Remove those 2 clips & pins & the engine cover can be moved aside. Now you can kneel on the swimstep & actually get both hands down in there to do the work. You can even almost see what your doing from that position.

Quick question.

Just got my boat mid season last year. Went to change the impeller today and noticed only 3 of the 4 screws were there. Guess last time the previous owner had it changed someone lost a screw.

Source for them? Dealer? If not, anybody know size etc so I don't have to get one back out.

A good source for your parts www.skidim.com. Since they are located in SC, if you order by Wednesday most stuff is here Friday with standard ground shipping.....

• Like 1

Quick question.

Just got my boat mid season last year. Went to change the impeller today and noticed only 3 of the 4 screws were there. Guess last time the previous owner had it changed someone lost a screw.

Source for them? Dealer? If not, anybody know size etc so I don't have to get one back out.

Ace Hardware?

They are brass. So maybe a specialty place like SkiDim? Or Fastenal? Or any inboard boat dealer?

Anyone using brass or stainless thumbscrewa like these?

Impeller1.jpg

Looks like a great idea considering how little torque is on those things. I was just trying to replace mine and dropped one of the screws which I'm pretty sure wound up under the fuel tank.

Edited by oldjeep