Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow and carpool vehicle advice

smeagol

We have an '00 Lexus LX470 that has served our needs well, but it has over 230,000 miles and it is time to start thinking about a replacement. We have loved the Lexus for ride/durability/decent towing, but it sucks down the gas and it is a large car around town.

Our VLX sits on a lift and rarely needs to be moved by trailer. Most of the time, my wife uses the LX470 for carpool, etc. and it is our family trip car. So, we usually don't need a heavy duty hauler, but something that can be called upon occasionally.

I'm curious if you have advice for other alternatives out there that could meet our needs?

I sold my truck last year and we don't have a tow vehicle. We are in the same situation as you are with the boat on a lift and it only gets put on the trailer for the winter. I found that the local Toyota dealer by our lakehouse in the Knoxville area rents pickup trucks by the day with a tow hitch. They had no problem with me using it to pull the boat out last fall and it was only around $65 (plus a little gas) to rent it. You might want to check into something like this to avoid having to drive a bigger gas guzzler that you rarely use for towing.

If your boat sits on a lift most its life, just borrow a friend or family members tow rig twice a year. Then you can buy whatever vehicle (big, small, fast, slow, etc...) that fits your needs best.

We have an '00 Lexus LX470 that has served our needs well, but it has over 230,000 miles and it is time to start thinking about a replacement. We have loved the Lexus for ride/durability/decent towing, but it sucks down the gas and it is a large car around town.

Our VLX sits on a lift and rarely needs to be moved by trailer. Most of the time, my wife uses the LX470 for carpool, etc. and it is our family trip car. So, we usually don't need a heavy duty hauler, but something that can be called upon occasionally.

I'm curious if you have advice for other alternatives out there that could meet our needs?

Not trying to be rude but am I missing something. Keep the Lexus as the if I need it ride and buy a car. Kids leave a light on in the car. Wife goes to crank in the morning you are already at work. Take the Lexus. Few kids are staying the night and want to go to the movies. Take the Lexus. Its a win win. The trade can't be that high on the Lexus.

I would definitely go with the Nissan GTR "Skyline" it can get you to Walmart much quicker and not to mention you will look cool!!!

I've got a soon-to-be new driver, so maybe she gets the Lexus and we hang on to it for the occasional tow duty. I love the Porsche/Audi/BMW idea, but money is an issue... maybe an older model...

April Fools! :rofl:

Dang it, I was excited about the post until I read yours. We're slowly looking for another vehicle and a diesel in a large SUV definitely would have been something I would have looked at (probably wouldn't have looked long though once I'd see what it would cost)

Dang it, I was excited about the post until I read yours. We're slowly looking for another vehicle and a diesel in a large SUV definitely would have been something I would have looked at (probably wouldn't have looked long though once I'd see what it would cost)

I agree, it would be a seller if you ask me. But the car manufacturers don't seem to think so.

I've got a soon-to-be new driver, so maybe she gets the Lexus and we hang on to it for the occasional tow duty. I love the Porsche/Audi/BMW idea, but money is an issue... maybe an older model...

Think certified..... Bought a 3 year old loaded BMW with 16k on it for less than a new Honda Accord. The search took 3 months, popped up on their web site in the morning about 9 AM. My name was on the title within the hour.....