Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wetsounds EQ with Built in BT!

Murphy8166

No sweat. Let's place an $800 processor with the addition of a display plus a D to A convertor inside a 1X5X7 EQ that's packed full without cluttering up the face and keep the $400 price the same. Works for me.

Can you list some for those fallowing along?

Marine unit

Dual EQ adjustments for a tower and in-boats (front/rear) zone

3-zone independent volume control at your fingertips

Adjustable line driver

Built in BT and AUX

Besides not being marine and having to go through menus, the Pioneer 80PRS does all of that for $350 MSRP.

No sweat. Let's place an $800 processor with the addition of a display plus a D to A convertor inside a 1X5X7 EQ that's packed full without cluttering up the face and keep the $400 price the same. Works for me.

Who is saying to put an $800 DSP into an EQ. How can Pioneer have all of those features in a $350 single DIN unit with a built in amp and CD player? I had most of those same features in a $300ish Premier deck I got in '06 as well, so this isn't exactly ground breaking stuff.

Besides not being marine and having to go through menus, the Pioneer 80PRS does all of that for $350 MSRP.

Who is saying to put an $800 DSP into an EQ. How can Pioneer have all of those features in a $350 single DIN unit with a built in amp and CD player? I had most of those same features in a $300ish Premier deck I got in '06 as well, so this isn't exactly ground breaking stuff.

that deck has independent L/R EQs, though right, not independent F/R? So you would have to give up your xover too (or settle for a common xover point for cabins and towers). If you set up cabin as L and tower as R, you'd also only be feeding half of the stereo signal to each zone, right?

I mean I get what you are trying to argue, but it's not like the 80PRS could really be employed as you suggest in a way that anyone would enjoy.

And why can pioneer do it? They probably sell 20x as many of those low volume high end decks as Wetsounds sells EQs.

^^^^^^ One of the features or attributes of the WS-420BT, is that its built for the marine environment. So if you are going to compare it to other devices, then its logical to include that feature along with the others, in that comparison. Especially, since this debate was centered around the cost of said marine component. Those extra steps add to the cost.

^^^^^^ One of the features or attributes of the WS-420BT, is that its built for the marine environment. So if you are going to compare it to other devices, then its logical to include that feature along with the others, in that comparison. Especially, since this debate was centered around the cost of said marine component. Those extra steps add to the cost.

That's fine - there have been marine units over the years with many of these features too at a similar MSRP. I realize you are going to find an exact comparison feature for feature on a dedicated EQ vs a head unit (and you shouldn't) - what I'm saying is the technology behind it you are getting a lot more from these head units for LESS MONEY.

Edit: Let me add that I don't think anyone sells a product that most of us really want/need. What most folks really want, from a single unit setup:

- Black box with remote face, with a variety of remote face options (hand held, transom, single DIN, and larger faced)

- Knob EQ / level control like the Wet Sounds EQ has, at least for the single DIN and large faced remotes

- Built in Bluetooth, aux and USB inputs, Sirius/XM control, over-the-air tuner

- iPod controls via direct USB link

- Crossover control

- 4 sets of pre-outs (front, rear, tower, sub)

- Nice display that is readable in direct sunlight, at least for the in-boat remotes.

Very few users would need 100% of the stuff above, but it would meet the needs of pretty much everyone (at least anyone spending $400+ on an EQ/head unit setup).

Edited by Nitrousbird

You just saw the BIGGEST marine H/U company completelty get out of the the marine game....Alpine. I doubt that WS wants to start making non intergrated H/U's for those that are still mounting single headunits in arm rests or in mounts under the dash. Those days are over... I think the better use of resources would be the intergrated model like Malibu uses with Fosgate and like Nautique uses with Polk. It is the way the industry is going!

I would not be surprised if WS has a headunit that is being built for some of the Big Inboard Mfgr's to work in an intregrated setting. It might be something that could mounted as stand alone / might be what you are looking for.

I think Murphy hit the nail on the head with this one. It's got to be coming down the pipe, it only makes sense with all the business WS is doing on these high end boats.

Integration is less about what the head-unit manufacturer does and more about the manufacturer of the devise that the head-unit will be connected to. There is no difference between the a Clarion you buy off the shelf and the one that comes "integrated" to a Medallion unit or the Malibu Rockford source unit even. Murphy or Medallion could integrate to a Boss Audio head-unit if they set their minds to it. But what the head-unit needs to have is appealing features to attract those boat builders and get them to want to use their units.

Edited by MLA

...But what the head-unit needs to have is appalling features to attract those boat builders and get them to want to use their units.

ha ha, so true, so true.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys will this work on a JBL black box in an 08 vlx? I'm wanting BT and a knob to control volume. If so how does this hook up?? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys will this work on a JBL black box in an 08 vlx? I'm wanting BT and a knob to control volume. If so how does this hook up?? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, just about any peripheral EQ will work with the BB or any traditional head-unit. All you need is a single RCA stereo outout from the head-unit to the input of the EQ.

Does it really have to be "marine"? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh it matters....on a serious note. Trust me it matters. First terrential rain storm it'll become important to you immediately. These EQs get soaked during towing almost anywhere you have them mounted.