Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New boat.....maybe?

Sunscape fan

My wife and I are contemplating purchasing a new boat. I have almost got her convinced. So I have a question for the crew. The boat I want is a 23LSV. I would like to upgrade the engine as we plan to surf etc. Would you upgrade to the 450, or just the 409? Is the 409 really worth it since it's only 59 more horsepower over the standard engine? Should I spend the extra for the corvette? Is it all top end or is there substantially more torque?

This is what we are planning to go with for colours. Which one would you pick?:

1)

photo_zpsfbeea7a4.png

2)

photo-2_zps39ad4ed3.png

3)

photo-1_zpsc7df7b9a.png

4)

photo-3_zpsf2e1a8ae.png

I like 2 and 3. I went LS3 on mine. I haven't loaded mine up yet since I have only had it out once, but I can tell you that it won't have trouble doing what I ask it to. I say upgrade to the LS3. You only get one shot at the engine selection.

I would go with the check mark in red, top deck (the part you step on) in moonbeam, and everything else black.

Edited by skyskier

Agree on Option 2 or 3, and upgrade to the LS3. I haven't heard many positive things about the 409.

What negative things have you heard?

I used to believe all the bashing of the 409 that went along around here too......until I owned one.

Its a more refined power plant, double the efficiency of the SB350 in my experience. I would take a 409 any day of the week for the small increase in price over the 350.

Mind you, nobody here has ever produced a dyno sheet from Indmar that shows the actual specs. The only thing they have produced is the GM specs before Indmar make the their tweaks

I am not saying the 409 will out do the LS3 if you have the coin, but I also think the 409 has gotten an unjust bad wrap around here from inexperienced folks.

LS3 would be my choice in the new LSV, but if you cant swing the coin for it and are seriously contemplating going with the base 350 I think the 409 is a worthy upgrade in this case. You see the savings at the pump.

• Like 3

I used to believe all the bashing of the 409 that went along around here too......until I owned one.

Its a more refined power plant, double the efficiency of the SB350 in my experience. I would take a 409 any day of the week for the small increase in price over the 350.

Mind you, nobody here has ever produced a dyno sheet from Indmar that shows the actual specs. The only thing they have produced is the GM specs before Indmar make the their tweaks

I am not saying the 409 will out do the LS3 if you have the coin, but I also think the 409 has gotten an unjust bad wrap around here from inexperienced folks.

LS3 would be my choice in the new LSV, but if you cant swing the coin for it and are seriously contemplating going with the base 350 I think the 409 is a worthy upgrade in this case. You see the savings at the pump.

I have always suspected this was the case... in fact I asked about it in my new boat thread. I wanted to hear from people who actually own the 409. In the end I ordered the 450 and I'm excited about it. But I'm not convinced the 409 would have been insufficient. I know of at least one other custom ordered 23 LSV at my dealer where the owners went with the 409.

Edited by IXFE

Last September, I spent 4 days on the water with the 409 in a 2014 MB, did not impress me. Maybe it was a different motor than Malibu uses, but it struggled with the 23' boat with full ballast and a bow sac with 8 guys in the boat. Painfully slow to get on plane for wakeboarding, and almost pegged out for surfing with 750's in the locker. It was propped with the 2315. For the cost of a new LSV, I cant see going with the 409, its a one time shot and why not spent a bit more and get something that will definitely perform better. Just my .02...

Edit: This was on lake powell which is at 3000ish ft elevation. Assuming at sea level would be a noticeable improvement in performance which I have never experienced with the 409.

Edited by Fman

I got my wife to say yes!!! Called the dealer and they've changed their hours: tues - fri!! DOH!!!! Hopefully she will still be in the "yes" column when we get a chance to go in a week or so due to work.

I'm really leaning towards the LS3. Problem is you can get a lot of other options for the price of the upcharge on the LS3.

Edited by Sunscape fan

I got my wife to say yes!!! Called the dealer and they've changed their hours: tues - fri!! DOH!!!! Hopefully she will still be in the "yes" column when we get a chance to go in a week or so due to work.

I'm really leaning towards the LS3. Problem is you can get a lot of other options for the price of the upcharge on the LS3.

Make sure to work a deal on the options. Dealer cost for the LS3 upgrade over the 350 is somewhere around 7K and retails for 9 or 10K. You should be able to pick it up somewhere on the lower end of the mid range.

The LS3 by MP has a different catalyst system than the other engines in the portfolio. It has been proven side by side at various altitudes and has exceeded expectations that is why Malibu went with MP.

Last September, I spent 4 days on the water with the 409 in a 2014 MB, did not impress me. Maybe it was a different motor than Malibu uses, but it struggled with the 23' boat with full ballast and a bow sac with 8 guys in the boat. Painfully slow to get on plane for wakeboarding, and almost pegged out for surfing with 750's in the locker. It was propped with the 2315. For the cost of a new LSV, I cant see going with the 409, its a one time shot and why not spent a bit more and get something that will definitely perform better. Just my .02...

Edit: This was on lake powell which is at 3000ish ft elevation. Assuming at sea level would be a noticeable improvement in performance which I have never experienced with the 409.

Doesn't coincide with my experience. I have an even bigger, heavier boat, and you know how much weight li run in it. I surf 80 percent of the time and I have the same prop. I have no problems getting on plane, with NO bow weight and I can run the wedge anywhere I want.

I also see about 3.7 gph , this compared to my loaded VTX with a SB350 that's was near 6 gph with almost the same duty cycle.

Then again I have never been to Powell. Maybe MB has a far less efficient hull or different trans/ v-drive reduction ratio that has a large effect here also. I think for comparisons sake my situation is far more relevant in this conversation.

I still agree with the fact that the 450 is the prime choice for the new LSV given the amount of weight myself or any intermediate level surfers would desire to use, but like I said........ If you are gonna go base 350 and can't swing the 450 ... The 409 is a worth while upgrade, from just an efficiency standpoint alone.

• Like 1

We are at alt, and all the 22MXZ, and 13 and older LSVs were ordered with 409s from our dealer. All of them struggled greatly compared to the LS3. Unless indmar has some magic torque dust the GM specs are going to be very close to accurate. They are GM engines, and they really aren't that much better than the 350. You will see some increase, but not the kind of increase you would expect.

The LS3 by MP has a different catalyst system than the other engines in the portfolio. It has been proven side by side at various altitudes and has exceeded expectations that is why Malibu went with MP.

Can you share the side by side comparisons? Would love to see some actual data!